10g NIC Reccomendations

TubsAlwaysWins

Any recommendations for a 10g capable PCI NIC? 

Going in a Poweredge R620 running ESXi. I prefer an RJ45 connection, preferably 2 of them. 

This seems to be the only decent one I can find. For Intel X540-T2, 10Gb Ethernet Network Card, Dual Port RJ45 Copper, PCI Express 10Gb Nic Ethernet LAN Adapter - Newegg.com

Thanks

Breaking things 1 day at a time

25 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Going in a Poweredge R620 running ESXi. I prefer an RJ45 connection, preferably 2 of them. 

Dell part number P71JP is an Intel X540 based, dual Gigabit, dual 10GBASE-T mezzanine card that should cost you under $25 shipped on eBay in the US. It will replace the mezzanine NIC you already have, which is probably either quad Gigabit or dual Gigabit with two SFP+ ports.

Proprietary, obsolete server parts are cheap! Save your PCIe slots.

image.png.1a1fc800c72b771d6714c2cdfc720018.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

21 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Dell part number P71JP is an Intel X540 based, dual Gigabit, dual 10GBASE-T mezzanine card that should cost you under $25 shipped on eBay in the US. It will replace the mezzanine NIC you already have, which is probably either quad Gigabit or dual Gigabit with two SFP+ ports.

Ill check it out. I may need a new one, and may want to keep it PCI. Any thoughts on one like that? 

41 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Plus, those Intel cards look like a prop from Buckaroo Banzai 🙂    Loved popping open servers just to look at them. Intel built their shiz for real. Too bad they are getting out of a lot of this space. Plus, most Intel is on VMware's HAL. A lot of Broadcom stuff wasn't....#sarcasm

26 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Ill check it out. I may need a new one, and may want to keep it PCI. Any thoughts on one like that? 

I'm reasonably sure that card will work in a 13th gen PowerEdge too.

Anything based on an Intel X540 or X570 chipset should be fine. If you want to go 40 gig, Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards are pretty affordable too.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm reasonably sure that card will work in a 13th gen PowerEdge too.

Anything based on an Intel X540 or X570 chipset should be fine. If you want to go 40 gig, Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards are pretty affordable too.

Nah 10g is fine. Max 25g but that would have to be SFP+. Would prefer to stick with 10g and keep my switch SFP free though. Ill check em out. 

1 hour ago, wseaton said:

Plus, those Intel cards look like a prop from Buckaroo Banzai 🙂    Loved popping open servers just to look at them. Intel built their shiz for real. Too bad they are getting out of a lot of this space. Plus, most Intel is on VMware's HAL. A lot of Broadcom stuff wasn't....#sarcasm

Yeah I was hoping to stick with Intel just because I know its quality and will work. Dont want some amazon back-alley card in there.