Triple Monitor USB-C Hub

wolle98

Hello everybody,

I am now thing for a long time how to update my setup.

My situation:

• Work Laptop: Lenovo T14 (Thunderbold 3 or 4)
  • Desktop PC: GTX 970; I7 4770
  • Dual Monitor Setup (One is the Dell U2520D so I have already kind of a USB c Hub including daisy chaining another monitor)

What I want to do:

• Update my desktop to either a Laptop or a more compact desktop like the dell Optiplex or something
  • Get another monitor for triple monitor setup (likely two 1080 and one 4k)
  • get a USB-C / Thunderbolt Hub that will support triple displays
  • Switch between both Laptops by just switching one cable

Current Issues

• I dont want to use DisplayLink as I dont want another software running in the background and I am not even sure if I have permission to install that on my work laptop
  • As far as I understand Thunderbolt only supports dual monitors. (found a comment under the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 dock). I would have expected triple monitors not beeing an issue when running at 1080p. Dont really get that?
  • There are some Docks out there that claim to support triple monitors anyways (e.g. This one) and dont seem to use display link as well. Is that maybe due to DisplayportAlt running independent of Thunderbolt?
  • What would happen if I would connect to a usbc Port withour Thunderbolt but with e.g. USB 3.2 2x2. Would Thunderbolt docks still work? Is the Dual display limitation still the same?

So you can see I am quite confused. Up to now I thought I was quite fast at picking up these topics. But the whole Thunderbolt, USB and display port situation seems just to be a mess atm.

So thank you for any help. I also happy for some dock/hub recommendations

PS: If anybody knows a USB-C / Thunderbolt switch, I am also thankful for recommendations. Seems also quite a small market...