Should I go for 4070 or 7800xt?

FrostfireScorpion

Hi, Im looking to upgrade from 1660 super to one of these two but I cant really decide. I have ryzen 5 3600 cpu. Most of what I've seen suggests to go for 7800xt, but other than gaming performance I can't really find reviews about things like streaming and editing, now I'm no big shot or anything but I like to sometimes roll a stream here and there when I play games and that pulls me towards nvidia. For editing I use davinci and from Linuses review it seems like amd is a better choice for me. When it comes to price 4070 here is about 940 bucks while 7800xt is like 830, although 7800 is just coming out right now so nvidia will maybe go down in next few days. Terrible prices I know but thats just how it is here. Now on the topic of nvidia does anyone know if rtx voice lowers or fixes static noise on mics, I keep mine at a lower volume because it sometimes starts pulling in static noises.

Anyways thanks ahead to all who help, I want to get the best perf/buc that does its job well and Im just completely thorn between these two. 

13 minutes ago, FrostfireScorpion said:

Hi, Im looking to upgrade from 1660 super to one of these two but I cant really decide. I have ryzen 5 3600 cpu. Most of what I've seen suggests to go for 7800xt, but other than gaming performance I can't really find reviews about things like streaming and editing, now I'm no big shot or anything but I like to sometimes roll a stream here and there when I play games and that pulls me towards nvidia. For editing I use davinci and from Linuses review it seems like amd is a better choice for me. When it comes to price 4070 here is about 940 bucks while 7800xt is like 830, although 7800 is just coming out right now so nvidia will maybe go down in next few days. Terrible prices I know but thats just how it is here. Now on the topic of nvidia does anyone know if rtx voice lowers or fixes static noise on mics, I keep mine at a lower volume because it sometimes starts pulling in static noises.

Anyways thanks ahead to all who help, I want to get the best perf/buc that does its job well and Im just completely thorn between these two. 

Is this at 1080p? Because if so then a 6700 xt would fit much better. But if it’s 1440p then the 7800 xt

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I'd personally go for the 7800 XT. Faster than the 4070, and AMD has a tendency to put major effort into continulously optimizing their drivers, making them faster over time than reviews initially suggest, and it'll be perfectly fine for streaming due to AMD's new encoding engines included in RDNA 3.

PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7 13700K

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming Wi-Fi

Memory: 32GB Trident Z5 RGB DDR5 7200 MHz CL34 @ 7600 MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX (ASUS TUF Gaming OC Edition)

Storage: 2 TB Western Digital SN850X, 1 TB Western Digital SN850, 2 TB Seagate Momentus SpinPoint M9T

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021)

Case: Fractal Design Torrent (white, non-RGB)

Monitor: TCL 55R617

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow V3 (Quartz)

Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate Wireless

DAC & Amp: Schiit Modi+ & Schiit Magni+

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

54 minutes ago, FrostfireScorpion said:

To be honest I'd go with the 7800xt.

This really comes down to what you like.

The 4070 in comparison to the 7800XT.

- 7800XT has 16GB of Vram compared to the 4070's 12GB which is not an issue as of yet but might become one in the nearish future.

- 4070 has weaker raw raster performance than a 7800XT (around 7% slower).

- 4070 has a more mature upscaler in the form of DLSS which has been proven to be superior to FSR.

- 4070 has a much larger selection of games that support frame generation than the 7800XT which is just now starting to roll out some FSR3 frame generation compatible games.

- 4070 has better ray tracing capability aswell as having a form of AI ray reconstruction to improve the overall effects built into DLSS 3.5.

- 7800XT and AMD in general tend to have a lower driver overhead effecting the CPU so you will get more performance in CPU bound games.

- 4070 is a better card for streaming although both will probably be fine if you just want to stream casually on twitch or whatever.

- 7800XT will probably benefit more from drivers in the future , Nvidia has a larger driver team than AMD so tend to get release drivers pretty close to perfect where as AMD tends to get better with age due to the team taking longer to really optimize things.

- 4070 is a better card for productivity workloads because its supported by more programs due to there relatively high market share.

Lastly the 7800XT is a little cheaper usually than the 4070.

Hopefully these help you make a decision , both cards are solid 1440p cards.

Personally if they are close to the same price I would get a 4070 , If there's anymore than 10% price difference in favour of the 7800XT I would get that.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset