Can I run a 4090 with this PSU?

Mischievous
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
2 minutes ago, Mischievous said:

Hello!

It's time I move on from my 2080 Super to a 4090.

My PSU is a Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX.

Nvidia recommends At Least a 850W PSU ... So is it a good idea to run the margins this close or should I just go for a 1000W new PSU?

Also with my PSU now, I have 5 6-pin connectors, so from what I understand, this means that I can use the 600w adapter? Plug 4 of the 6 pins into it, and then the adapter into the GPU?

Also was the melting adapter problem resolved? It's the reason I didn't get a 40xx in the first months of its release. If I buy a brand new 4090 Now, would the adapter it comes with still melt, or do they have a fixed version now? ((And how would I even be able to tell if I get an old adapter, or a new adapter?))

Also, Also, Also. Thanks in advance!

RTX 4090's power draw is hilariously stable, so its not spiking like crazy that would warrant overspeccing the PSU. I wouldn't overclock with it though just in case.

If your PSU has daisy chained 2x8pin, then it likely supports the full 300W from each cable. If you end up using only 2x8pin*2 cables for the adapter, then sure, it'll be fine.

If you're still concerned, just run the RTX 4090 at 90% TDP. It'll chop ~45W off the maximum power draw down to ~400W and it'll lose basically no performance.

The melting adapters was an operator problem, there was maybe 1 case where there was an actually defective 4x8pin adapter that caused an issue. The vast majority of problems involving 12VHPWR are people simply not fully seating the connector. If it's not flush with the female end on the card, then its not fully seated.

Hello!

Nvidia recommends At Least a 850W PSU ... So is it a good idea to run the margins this close or should I just go for a 1000W new PSU?

Also with my PSU now, I have 5 6-pin connectors, so from what I understand, this means that I can use the 600w adapter? Plug 4 of the 6 pins into it, and then the adapter into the GPU?

Also was the melting adapter problem resolved? It's the reason I didn't get a 40xx in the first months of its release. If I buy a brand new 4090 Now, would the adapter it comes with still melt, or do they have a fixed version now? ((And how would I even be able to tell if I get an old adapter, or a new adapter?))

2 minutes ago, Mischievous said:

Hello!

RTX 4090's power draw is hilariously stable, so its not spiking like crazy that would warrant overspeccing the PSU. I wouldn't overclock with it though just in case.

If your PSU has daisy chained 2x8pin, then it likely supports the full 300W from each cable. If you end up using only 2x8pin*2 cables for the adapter, then sure, it'll be fine.

If you're still concerned, just run the RTX 4090 at 90% TDP. It'll chop ~45W off the maximum power draw down to ~400W and it'll lose basically no performance.

The melting adapters was an operator problem, there was maybe 1 case where there was an actually defective 4x8pin adapter that caused an issue. The vast majority of problems involving 12VHPWR are people simply not fully seating the connector. If it's not flush with the female end on the card, then its not fully seated.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

14 hours ago, Agall said:

Cool thanks a lot for the concise answer! I am relieved I don't have to necessarily get a new PSU right now.

By the way, if I could trouble you with one last question, I want to sell my 2080 super second hand, what do you think would be a fair price for it? It's been running 18 hours a day for the past 3 years, so I imagine it is fair to call it "Slightly used" 😛 I was thinking of selling it for like 200 euros.

I am not 100% sure but I think that a 1000W PSU should be more then enough even for a 4090.

I mean considering the 4090 gives 300W maybe just calculate how much the rest of your components need ?

Any CPU I don't think should give more than 200W.

So that leaves you with 500W to spare for RAM and SSD which I believe is more than enough.