RAM speed wont change

D2Wavvy

So when I initially built my PC, I put two 8GB of Crucial Ballistix for 16GB of RAM. I later then purchased the exact same kit so I added 16GB more to make it 32GB of RAM total. Now I want to increase the speed from 2133MHz to 3600MHz however I'm having a lot of trouble doing that. Every time I go into BIOS to enable XMP, it says that it's enabled but the speed hasn't changed. I updated to the latest BIOS, updated my AMD chipsets, and I even reseted the CMOS. Still cant increase the speed. I even switched the slots for each pair of RAM sticks (keeping the pairs together in which I bought them). I checked my motherboard's capability with the RAM and it cleared. I don't know where to go from here.

Motherboard: MSI B550 A-PRO

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM (4x8gb)

Just change the speed and the timings manually, if you put in the part number of your RAM into google it should lead you to a spec sheet where it shows the default and XMP profile timings, speed and voltage.

11 hours ago, 4b33r said:

Just change the speed and the timings manually, if you put in the part number of your RAM into google it should lead you to a spec sheet where it shows the default and XMP profile timings, speed and voltage.

The only reason I havent done it manually yet is because the last time I did that, I didnt get POST. Multiple times. However, that was when I only had 16gbs of RAM. I dont know if itll be different this time around. Also, I never touched the timings or voltage

1 hour ago, D2Wavvy said:

The only reason I havent done it manually yet is because the last time I did that, I didnt get POST. Multiple times. However, that was when I only had 16gbs of RAM. I dont know if itll be different this time around. Also, I never touched the timings or voltage

Only change the CAS latency, Trcd, Trp and Tras.
Leave everything else to auto, when you start your PC it will reboot a couple of times, give it anywhere from 2-15 minutes and let it reboot, it will be training the memory and trying to figure out the rest of the timings.

**UPDATE:

I tested each pair of sticks and the first pair was as advertised, 3600MHz 16-18-18-38 @ 1.35V. The second pair was advertised the same however I came to find out, it wasn't true to the specs. Bios showed the second pair as, 3600MHz 18-22-22-42 @ 1.2V. So I adjusted the timings to the second pair and the voltage to the first. After those adjustments, boom.. I'm running 3600MHz 4 of 4 DIMM slots.

To the Newegg Seller that I bought the second pair from: Shame on you!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my post and suggested helpful things! I learned a lot!

2 hours ago, D2Wavvy said:

**UPDATE:

I tested each pair of sticks and the first pair was as advertised, 3600MHz 16-18-18-38 @ 1.35V. The second pair was advertised the same however I came to find out, it wasn't true to the specs. Bios showed the second pair as, 3600MHz 18-22-22-42 @ 1.2V. So I adjusted the timings to the second pair and the voltage to the first. After those adjustments, boom.. I'm running 3600MHz 4 of 4 DIMM slots.

To the Newegg Seller that I bought the second pair from: Shame on you!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my post and suggested helpful things! I learned a lot!

The second pair was just running at the 1.2v non XMP profile, if you have now set the voltage to 1.35v set them all to the faster 16-18-18-38  timing, should work.

the timings should be on a sticker on the ram, i somehow doubt they sold you the wrong ram - although it's possible of course. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, 4b33r said:

if you have now set the voltage to 1.35

btw 2 different motherboards,  3 different ram kits: will not post with xmp at 1.35, will post no problem at 1.36 however...

sometimes the board would set it to 1.36 automatically,  sometimes not, so i just set it manually now...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity