PC Upgrade, mainly for performance in Escape from Tarkov

Ronnmann

Specs: 

Ryzen 7 3700X 
MSI B450M PRO (Bios up to date)
RTX 2060 
16Gb DDR4 Memory
650Watt PSU (Brand unkown because it was a pre built system) 

Hey people, so i got this system a few years ago and im satisfied enough. But in Escape from Tarkov which is a heavy CPU bound game (So it says online) i got alot of dips in performance in the 40 to 30 fps region. 

My question now is, i want more performance and is it worth upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D for that juicy V-Cache or is the R7 3700X good enough for a better Graphics card?

And no, i'm not someone who only has an 60Hz Monitor 😄

19 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Specs: 

Ryzen 7 3700X 
RTX 2060 
16Gb DDR4 Memory

Hey people, so i got this system a few years ago and im satisfied enough. But in Escape from Tarkov which is a heavy CPU bound game (So it says online) i got alot of dips in performance in the 40 to 30 fps region. 

My question now is, i want more performance and is it worth upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D for that juicy V-Cache or is the R7 3700X good enough for a better Graphics card?

The 5800x3d is ok, i run it daily but i had quite a few issues to figure out before i could really enjoy it. besides im still having an issue that i think is just down to silicon lottery and such. especially since its the first gen 3d vcache, silicon lottery is probably going to have more effect.

issues i found in mine

- runs hot. the extra vcache insulates the cpu and makes it hard to cool. adding more cooling capacity doesnt help. had to run corecycler and an all core undervolt to help get it in a range acceptable to me (just barely under 80c when gaming at 50-60% load) 

- currently have a constant hardware error (event id 19, cache hierarchy error). from my research so far, thats linked to fclk (for ram) but im only running 3000 mhz ram. still had errors running 2133. might be the undervolt, but ive yet to put more hours in trying to get it tuned right

personally i would just go with a 5800x or 5900x. im still debating if i make the switch myself. or even try and go 7th gen

35 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Specs: 

Ryzen 7 3700X 
RTX 2060 
16Gb DDR4 Memory

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JmhFf7/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000926wof  

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x  

20 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

The 5800x3d is ok, i run it daily but i had quite a few issues to figure out before i could really enjoy it. besides im still having an issue that i think is just down to silicon lottery and such. especially since its the first gen 3d vcache, silicon lottery is probably going to have more effect.

issues i found in mine

- runs hot. the extra vcache insulates the cpu and makes it hard to cool. adding more cooling capacity doesnt help. had to run corecycler and an all core undervolt to help get it in a range acceptable to me (just barely under 80c when gaming at 50-60% load) 

- currently have a constant hardware error (event id 19, cache hierarchy error). from my research so far, thats linked to fclk (for ram) but im only running 3000 mhz ram. still had errors running 2133. might be the undervolt, but ive yet to put more hours in trying to get it tuned right

personally i would just go with a 5800x or 5900x. im still debating if i make the switch myself. or even try and go 7th gen

Ahh okay thanks for the whole story haha, but you would say now that that extra V-Cache isnt that worth and i should just go for the 5700X right? 
and is there after the upgrade a noticable difference between the 5700X and 3700X?

7 hours ago, Ronnmann said:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D

I mean if you are on 1080p, those cache do get used. 

But yeah that would be a stretch on either version of your board, you will need to crank down the PBO undervolt on it to avoid current throttling and 5800X3D is not a very happy boy when you play around with the voltages. So that leaves us with the option to strap in a bunch of 80mm fans on it to calm the VRM temperatures. I agree with 5600X or 5700X, that should still run easily on your board.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 hours ago, Ronnmann said:

Ahh okay thanks for the whole story haha, but you would say now that that extra V-Cache isnt that worth and i should just go for the 5700X right? 
and is there after the upgrade a noticable difference between the 5700X and 3700X?

My point is that from my experience, 1st gen 3d-Vcache is somewhat unreliable, and i had to learn a ton to get mine working right. im not sure what kind of silicon lottery you might get, and its up to you if you feel comfortable enough to risk it. theres a ok chance that it would be totally fine though

as for a noticeable difference, between 3700x and 5700x or even 5800x, id say yes. i came from a 2700x and had pretty big gains across the board.