Time for aupgrades? - GPU, CPU or Both?

Gastarbeiter

Budget (including currency): £250 for CPU, £550 to £650 for GPU 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (single player), CAD/CAE (CATIA, Star CCM+, ANSYS, NX, Creo)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Current system: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB DDR4 3600, MSI X570 Tomahawk, RTX 3070, Corsair 850Watt PSU, 1440p 144hz monitor

Hi All

While Starfield is an outlier I can expect more and more games to be as demanding going forward. I don't want to build a full system as I have other more pressing expenses so I am stuck with the AM4 platform for now. I want this upgrade to keep my system relevant for the next 3 to 4 years

When it comes to CPUs my options are the Ryzen 7 5800X, Ryzen 7 5800X3D or Ryzen 9 5900X, with the 5800X being £100 cheaper than the other two.

When it comes to GPUs I honestly don't know. Is the Radeon 7800 XT a meaningfull upgrade to the 3070? I don't enable ray tracing when gaming but DLSS is cool. Is FSR from AMD comparable?

If you had to upgrade ony the GPU or only the CPU which one would you go for if you were in my shoes. I am leaning towards the CPU as AM4 CPUs may become more scarce going forward, I can always get a GPU.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Gastarbeiter said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (single player), CAD/CAE (CATIA, Star CCM+, ANSYS, NX, Creo)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Current system: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB DDR4 3600, MSI X570 Tomahawk, RTX 3070, Corsair 850Watt PSU, 1440p 144hz monitor

Hi All

While Starfield is an outlier I can expect more and more games to be as demanding going forward. I don't want to build a full system as I have other more pressing expenses so I am stuck with the AM4 platform for now. I want this upgrade to keep my system relevant for the next 3 to 4 years

When it comes to CPUs my options are the Ryzen 7 5800X, Ryzen 7 5800X3D or Ryzen 9 5900X, with the 5800X being £100 cheaper than the other two.

When it comes to GPUs I honestly don't know. Is the Radeon 7800 XT a meaningfull upgrade to the 3070? I don't enable ray tracing when gaming but DLSS is cool. Is FSR from AMD comparable?

If you had to upgrade ony the GPU or only the CPU which one would you go for if you were in my shoes. I am leaning towards the CPU as AM4 CPUs may become more scarce going forward, I can always get a GPU.

Thanks

I would go CPU the 3070 is still an ok gpu and it should be fine for the next year or so. I would upgrade the CPU to a ryzen 7 5800x3d.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

On 9/7/2023 at 11:58 AM, Gastarbeiter said:

Hi All

Thanks

You can hold off on upgrading your GPU as it should suffice for about 2.5 years. However, if needed, consider the 4070 for ray tracing capabilities(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BZDYZ4V5?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1).

If you plan to use an AMD GPU, consider the 7800 or 7800XT as good options(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CFWM1LNH?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1).

Consider upgrading the CPU to a 5800X3D for your 3rd gen Ryzen 7 setup, though other CPUs are also viable choices.

In summary, go for the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, and consider upgrading to a 4070(PSU is enough).