Stutters on new build

Nickolass

Hey everyone!

I'm in a bit of a predicament right now. I recently upgraded my rig and now have a 4070, 5800x3d, 32gb 3600, 650-watt psu. When playing games I receive somewhat consistent stuttering. I scanned both my drives for malware and nothing was detected on multiple different softwares. I stress-tested both GPU and CPU and everything runs great. Checked HDD and SSD health and both came back good. Mostly lost here and interested in hearing some people more experienced than me. 

12 minutes ago, Nickolass said:

HDD and SSD

Depending on the games you're playing, the stuttering might be because the SSD holding back

Are you using SSD 2.5" or NVME for game and Windows OS directory?

Some modern games do require a high speed storage

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

3 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Depending on the games you're playing, the stuttering might be because the SSD holding back

Older(ish) 500gb WD 2.5 SSD 

4 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

I should also mention windows is installed on said SSD but most games are on the seagate 2tb HDD. 

7 minutes ago, Nickolass said:

I should also mention windows is installed on said SSD but most games are on the seagate 2tb HDD. 

I see, that explains well for the stutter, because your HDD holds back of your awesome rig

My suggestion, you need to move the game directory files to SSD so that it won't bottleneck your PC, especially when you have the best AM4 CPU and a RTX 4070!!

HDD nowadays is only used for file mass storage or server file storage, such as music, videos, that doesn't require high speed performance data transfer

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

5 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

I see, that explains well for the stutter, because your HDD holds back of your awesome rig

Cool beans. The HDD is getting close to 4 years old at this point so not surprised if it starts breaking down. Was already planning to pick up a 2tb 990 pro since its on sale. So this works great! If the issue persists, I'm going to install Windows on the new SSD. 

13 minutes ago, Nickolass said:

2tb 990 pro since its on sale

Great, you will notice the FPS bump and fix the stuttering issue, especially comparing the literal best PCIe Gen4.0 NVME to a mere HDD

Additional tech tips:

As far as I know, Samsung NVME SSD doesn't come with heatsink. So you have to invest a bit more for a heatsink (some would call it thermal guard or heat guard), because the literal 'BLAZING' speed (it's so fast, that it actually runs hot, pun intended), unless your motherboard also comes with it.

You may have to check on your motherboard's description since you don't inform what kind of motherboard that you use

Phone:

4 minutes ago, ImWilly said:
17 minutes ago, Nickolass said:

Great, you will notice the FPS bump and fix the stuttering issue, especially comparing the literal best PCIe Gen4.0 NVME to a mere HDD

Yep, definitely a worthy purchase. I have the x570 aorus elite so I have the heat sink. Cant beat a gem 4 nvme 2TB for $130! 

Hold on, what game is this? Nothing specific has been mentioned and you are already about to jump the gun on the 990 purchase.

3 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

As far as I know, Samsung NVME SSD doesn't come with heatsink. So you have to invest a bit more for a heatsink (some would call it thermal guard or heat guard), because the literal 'BLAZING' speed (it's so fast, that it actually runs hot, pun intended), unless your motherboard also comes with it.

And this is not true. No current game ever used more than the standard 1200mbps gen 3 SSDs could do, just because the SSD could do 5000mbps does not mean that it will be used up to that point.

Unless you constantly move big files from SSD to SSD, there's really no need for an aftermarket SSD heatsink.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

13 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Unless you constantly move big files from SSD to SSD, there's really no need for an aftermarket SSD heatsink.

You're right, I may have oversell (for joke purpose) the heatsink on my previous statement

But still, buying a USD10-20 of heatsink on a over USD100 storage device is not a bad thing. (plus in most config, NVME is placed above or beside the hot GPU)

Or even free if it comes along with the motherboard

Phone:

7 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

old on, what game is this? Nothing specific has been mentioned and you are already about to jump the gun on the 990 purchase.

Not really jumping the gun. I’ve needed a faster SSD and was planning to grab one while they were on sale anyway. Just to give a few examples, hunt showdown, apex, siege. 

Those are old games, multiplayer too, they are made to run with HDD or a slow SSD. I highly doubt the cause of the stuttering is the old SSD.

Have you checked your RAM? Make sure they run at 3600 and XMP/DOCP is enabled?

Chipset drivers updated and old GPU drivers were cleanly uninstalled with DDU before installing new GPU drivers?

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

22 hours ago, Nickolass said:

Cool beans. The HDD is getting close to 4 years old at this point so not surprised if it starts breaking down. Was already planning to pick up a 2tb 990 pro since its on sale. So this works great! If the issue persists, I'm going to install Windows on the new SSD. 

No, plan on installing windows on the new m2 drive. Your experience will be a lot better.

As far as stutters, download and run gpu-z while playing. Take a screenshot of the sensors information (the graphs) after you’ve experienced some stuttering.

1 hour ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Have you checked your RAM? Make sure they run at 3600 and XMP/DOCP is enabled?

Chipset drivers updated and old GPU drivers were cleanly uninstalled with DDU before installing new GPU drivers?

Yes, everything is up to date and should be working correctly. 

9 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

No, plan on installing windows on the new m2 drive. Your experience will be a lot better.

As far as stutters, download and run gpu-z while playing. Take a screenshot of the sensors information after you’ve experienced some stuttering. 

Windows 11 worth installing or should I stay on 10? Will download one tomorrow on the new drive. 

On 9/7/2023 at 9:50 PM, Whatisthis said:

As far as stutters, download and run gpu-z while playing. Take a screenshot of the sensors information (the graphs) after you’ve experienced some stuttering.

Clean install of windows on new ssd. When looking at the graphs from CPU-Z everything looks completely normal. GPU usage is stable, clock speed is stable. I have attached the log file if youre interested in looking. Two sessions of gaming including with some stuttering.  

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

7 hours ago, Nickolass said:

Clean install of windows on new ssd. When looking at the graphs from CPU-Z everything looks completely normal. GPU usage is stable, clock speed is stable. I have attached the log file if youre interested in looking. Two sessions of gaming including with some stuttering.  

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 3.06 MB · 1 download

Aye, looks normal. 

This points to a software issue. If you haven’t installed ALL drivers for the motherboard, that’s step 1. I’ve seen missing audio drivers or network drivers cause this kind of thing.

Next, check your device manager for any ⚠️. Fix any issues you find there.

From there it gets difficult. Could be a peripheral plugged into usb as well. Basically the issue is that the system is waiting on a response from a component and can’t continue to execute before that response is received. It shows up as a stutter when playing a game.

7 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

This points to a software issue. If you haven’t installed ALL drivers for the motherboard, that’s step 1. I’ve seen missing audio drivers or network drivers cause this kind of thing

Installed newest audio driver, chipset from mobo, chipset from software, and gpu drivers are up to date. Ill report back after a few games!

On 9/9/2023 at 9:19 AM, Whatisthis said:

From there it gets difficult. Could be a peripheral plugged into usb as well. Basically the issue is that the system is waiting on a response from a component and can’t continue to execute before that response is received. It shows up as a stutter when playing a game.

Ok now something new is happening. Games are crashing after installing new drivers. Heres the file from CPUZ let me know if you find anything odd. Might be an ignorant question, but is it possible installing the same driver twice could cause something like this? 

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

19 hours ago, Nickolass said:

Ok now something new is happening. Games are crashing after installing new drivers. Heres the file from CPUZ let me know if you find anything odd. Might be an ignorant question, but is it possible installing the same driver twice could cause something like this? 

Scratch that. 990 Pro firmware was already having issues! Downloaded new firmware and all good. Stutters are still there but not nearly as frequent.