Networking Frustrations...

WitzTech
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

That's your problem, firmware build .260 was problematic. 

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8

Download the .270 firmware and update it, I can almost guarantee it will fix your issues.

OK, so this issue requires a picture.  I am having trouble getting a constant connection the internet through my ASUS RT-N66U, which I built a few days ago to replace a N150 router that was 20 bucks (and in the same place), and worked just fine, although the range wan't enough for the house, thus the upgrade.  So this is sorta what everything looks like:

UVvDA3i.png

So, I need to fix the sketchy connections.  By sketchy, I mean that sometimes, pages load, other times the pictures won't, and sometimes it completely times out.  Loading youtube videos (once you get to youtube) is flawless, and can easily stream in 1080p.   I just can't figure out how to keep it from dropping, wired or wireless.

Also worth noting is that I can reach the both router config pages from computer 3 with no problem, and they both tell me I'm connected to the internet.

My speedtest from computer 1:

2701925354.png

If you need any other information, I'll try to post it ASAP.

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

Can you check out what firmware version your ASUS N66U has?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

i would swap a cat line on the switch to the ASUS N66U from the one its on now to one that you know works,

then reset the ASUS N66U. .there should be a reset button on it. they are the super small

both routers are up to date, with the ASUS's firmware being 3.0.0.4.260.  

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

Can you check out what firmware version your ASUS N66U has?

both routers are up to date, with the ASUS's firmware being 3.0.0.4.260.  

i would swap a cat line on the switch to the ASUS N66U from the one its on now to one that you know works,

then reset the ASUS N66U. .there should be a reset button on it. they are the super small

I've swapped both the cable coming from the wall to the router and the router to computer, and reset, and still no change.  I don't think the cables are the issue because of the bad wifi connection to my laptop and phone.

Download the .270 firmware and update it, I can almost guarantee it will fix your issues.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Installing it now... fingers crossed!

Installing it now... fingers crossed!

I had an issue where it kept disconnecting me from my network (on all devices) and just wouldn't connect my desktop, then I realized that my firmware was out of date, so I upgraded and BAM! it worked great.

15" MBP TB

I'm going to be impatient, did it fix everything?

15" MBP TB

I suggest try and replace those paint lines with proper networking cables - maybe that's the issue...  :lol:

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I'm going to be impatient, did it fix everything?

Yup, everything is working now, thanks!

Yup, everything is working now, thanks!

No problem!

15" MBP TB