Occasional crashes (fatal DirectX error has occurred), purple artifacts

Leychee
Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

Nothing stands out there.

im going to guess psu issue as that card is drawing a steady 350w and will have transient spikes to 500w+. 

You can use hwinfo to get a log of all of your system sensors. I’d pay particular attention to voltages coming out of the psu.

Hello, I've been experiencing some random crashes in multiple games but I can't find a pattern.

I've started having these issues multiple months ago, but it's so random that I needed to test multiple games over several weeks just to see if the problem were the games or my hardware.

I see some AMD Adrenalin errors sometimes after the games crash, and my GPU settings reset (even though they're default most of the times).

- A fully modded Risk of Rain 2 (100 mods or so), no issue. I play a vanilla game a bit later, it crashes and until I restart my PC I see some purple artifacts all around the screen. Happened just once over 100-ish hours.

- I try Elden Ring and it crashes after 30 minutes, a few weeks later I play again and no issues whatsoever after 6 hours of playing.

- My main game is FFXIV, and this is the game where I get a lot of issues. Random crashes in mostly non populated areas, in the middle of a cutscene or anywhere else. There's no specific scenario, I could play for an entire week and have no issues, then out of the blue I get multiple crashes a day. The error I get most of the times is "A fatal DirectX error has occurred."

Before the games crash my PC freezes, the windows turn black and after a moment it stabilizes and I'm able to launch the game again, but not always. Sometimes I need to reset.

What I find weird is that there are times I have 3 games open plus a YouTube video or a stream and it's completely fine. But afaik these crashes happen mostly when I have nothing else opened, just the game and maybe Spotify on my second monitor.

Anyway, here's my rig: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ley01/saved/FmsqHx

Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

I had this same issue on my old card (GTX 2080 ti ) with AMD 3600x. 
similar issues so I did a few things to fix it, I don't quite remember which did the magic but if it helps you here they are.

• graphics driver reset win + ctrl + shift + B.
  • I purged the graphics driver completely with the software "Revo Uninstaller" (no need to use this specific 
    software ) and restart then clean and install the driver.
  •  removed the graphics card and carefully cleaned the port and gold pins on the card 
  • I did a windows sfc scannow 
  • replugged all PSU connectors 

33 minutes ago, Francy Alinston said:

I had this same issue on my old card (GTX 2080 ti ) with AMD 3600x. 
similar issues so I did a few things to fix it, I don't quite remember which did the magic but if it helps you here they are.

• graphics driver reset win + ctrl + shift + B.
  • I purged the graphics driver completely with the software "Revo Uninstaller" (no need to use this specific 
    software ) and restart then clean and install the driver.
  •  removed the graphics card and carefully cleaned the port and gold pins on the card 
  • I did a windows sfc scannow 
  • replugged all PSU connectors 

Unfortunately I did all of that, thanks for your help!

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

40 minutes ago, Leychee said:

Unfortunately I did all of that, thanks for your help!

Did you try connecting GPU to a separate PSU?

10 minutes ago, Francy Alinston said:

Did you try connecting GPU to a separate PSU?

I don't have another PSU, but I guess that could be the issue. If it is I'll get a new one since 700W is probably not optimal.

My full rig

Download gpu-z and run it while you play a game. It will give readouts of all the voltages and the throttling reasons. Good for troubleshooting.

Post a screenie of the graphs after a couple minutes of playing a game.

19 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Download gpu-z and run it while you play a game. It will give readouts of all the voltages and the throttling reasons. Good for troubleshooting.

Post a screenie of the graphs after a couple minutes of playing a game.

9eMw4xe.png

Here you go! Playing FFXIV.

My full rig

im going to guess psu issue as that card is drawing a steady 350w and will have transient spikes to 500w+. 

You can use hwinfo to get a log of all of your system sensors. I’d pay particular attention to voltages coming out of the psu.

4 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

That definitely makes sense, thank you.

I'll finally upgrade my PSU then, I must admit that I was very lucky to be able to run anything at all with 700W.

My full rig