RTX 4060 - 4k low/medium upscaled. 120FPS?

Aereldor

I'm moving house and sold all my furniture, and I'm planning on getting a 42-48" OLED 120hz tv, I found a few good deals on used ones. 

That said, my GTX 1060 laptop from 2016 can barely handle 1080p low right now, so I'm upgrading. The laptop I'm getting has to be light and portable for college, and affordable, so GPU power is limited.

I've settled on the 2023 G14, which has a mobile RTX 4060 in it. 

I plan on making FULL use of DLSS. Running DLSS performance mode wherever available WITH the frame generation on. I always use low or medium settings in games. 

Is 4k 120FPS possible? Once again, low/medium settings, DLSS Performance with frame gen on.

Games I play are Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor, modded Skyrim, Forza Horizon 5, Witcher 3, F1 22, Spider Man, Flight Simulator, Bannerlord, Portal RTX

It should be possible to find low/medium settings where that works with the help of DLSS and FG for those games. I'm not sure that I would consider this to be a great way to play most games, but it should be doable based on the performance shown in Jarrod's Tech's review.

Since you're planning on using DLSS/FSR Performance, the 1080p numbers are what you want to be looking at, as 4K DLSS/FSR performance is 1080p upscaled. He doesn't show a ton of games, but given that the laptop can get 85 fps in Cyperpunk at 1080p high settings, it shouldn't have any trouble getting 120fps in the games you listed at low/medium settings.

52 minutes ago, soundlogic said:

Is 4k 120FPS possible? Once again, low/medium settings, DLSS Performance with frame gen on.

It's a bit stretch if you ask me, especially in 4K

Frame gen might 'double' you FPS, but you need to have at least 60FPS so that it would generate a good non smudgy frame gen

DLSS Performance do helps, but the sacrifice is a really noticeable strange looking graphics, which is a turn off for me. At best, I suggest is DLSS Balanced

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

21 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

It's a bit stretch if you ask me, especially in 4K

Frame gen might 'double' you FPS, but you need to have at least 60FPS so that it would generate a good non smudgy frame gen

DLSS Performance do helps, but the sacrifice is a really noticeable strange looking graphics, which is a turn off for me. At best, I suggest is DLSS Balanced

I currently use FSR ultra performance lmfao. I'm gonna be okay. I ran Flight Simulator at 4k 45fps upscaled from 1440p low without using a hardware upscaler, just the built in software one. I don't pixel peep that much, an extra 20% bump in FPS completely negates even moderate artefacting for me.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

It should be possible to find low/medium settings where that works with the help of DLSS and FG for those games. I'm not sure that I would consider this to be a great way to play most games, but it should be doable based on the performance shown in Jarrod's Tech's review.

Since you're planning on using DLSS/FSR Performance, the 1080p numbers are what you want to be looking at, as 4K DLSS/FSR performance is 1080p upscaled. He doesn't show a ton of games, but given that the laptop can get 85 fps in Cyperpunk at 1080p high settings, it shouldn't have any trouble getting 120fps in the games you listed at low/medium settings.

Yeah facts and if DLSS is disabled then he had frame gen disabled too. Think I'm gonna go for it honestly.