Educate me on Ram (3000MHz ram on a MOBO that will not OC)

Canosgmk

Hello, 

I have read a lot with google searches and found many conflicting information.  

I have two sets of CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ver 5.32 (16GB - 2x8GB ram.  3000MHz, 15-17-17-35 @ 1.35v) with a Asus Prime B550-Plus, 5900x CPU running at 4.2hz (AMD OC from MOBO), RTX 3080, 1200w seasonic PSU. 

My ram is running at 3000mhz with DOCP on from the mobo, however i can't seem to squeeze anymore legs out of them.

I don't want to update my platform yet and the Mobo claims it will handle "4600(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)" with 3200 being native.  

Sooooooo.  How do i do this?  can my current set of ram that was sold to me with, "VENGEANCE LPX memory is designed for high-performance overclocking" wording on it get over the 3600 range (where i want to be right now)?  

The following is the stuff i have been reading:

-You can't OC ram higher then the written statement on the ram.  In this case, 3001+ will always crash.

-Corsair sucks on AMD.  They are made for intel.  Not worth trying.

-OC your ram from 3000 to 3600 is not worth your time or stress on your hardware.  you will see zero gain(s) while gaming. 

photo of questionable ram for effect: 

3253112334.jpg

It's low cas 3000mhz ram just leave it as is. The small performance gain is not worth the headache.

The way you oc ram is either you try a different xmp profile and see if it funnily enough sticks. Then memtest 86 for an hour or 2 or first error.

Else you start typing in your own timing values.

But corsair lpx memory sucks as it's about as cheaply made as it gets. So don't expect much.

Oh and small tip do a cinebench run now on the 5900x and then turn off the asus oc but keep boosting on and do another. Lot of the time the asus oc is so bad it's worse than stock.

Easiest way to get going with ram overclocking on ryzen is through Ryzen Dram Calculator, its not the best solution to overclock BUT it does get you started. Have tried following this guide?

There is also more hands on method where you can actually overclock your rams and even more noticeable gains than using Ryzen Dram Calculator but it takes a lot of time.

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It's low cas 3000mhz ram just leave it as is. The small performance gain is not worth the headache.

The way you oc ram is either you try a different xmp profile and see if it funnily enough sticks. Then memtest 86 for an hour or 2 or first error.

Else you start typing in your own timing values.

But corsair lpx memory sucks as it's about as cheaply made as it gets. So don't expect much.

Oh and small tip do a cinebench run now on the 5900x and then turn off the asus oc but keep boosting on and do another. Lot of the time the asus oc is so bad it's worse than stock.

HA!  you are right.  It isn't much of improvement, but it is better at the 3.7 stock then the ASUS Mobo auto OC option. image.png.2447427ec78c02d3fcfdb19685ca7ba7.png

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Easiest way to get going with ram overclocking on ryzen is through Ryzen Dram Calculator, its not the best solution to overclock BUT it does get you started. Have tried following this guide?

There is also more hands on method where you can actually overclock your rams and even more noticeable gains than using Ryzen Dram Calculator but it takes a lot of time.

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md

Going to go through the github after dinner here.  

However the video will not help me cause the ram isn't supported under the DRAM calculator.  

IAW thaiphoon, i have a "8Gb A-die" and "A" die isn't an option under DRAM Cal.  

Was reading on redit that corsair "will swap the memory ICs used in their high-speed kits from initial release, sometimes 2-3x, and Thaiphoon Burner will still read out the original IC."  

image.png

If i buy a 4600 DDR4 gskull kit, would it run at 4600 as the Mobo will support "OC" up to 4600?

I keep reading to stay away from corsair with AMD chipsets. 😕

Just now, Canosgmk said:

Going to go through the github after dinner here.  

However the video will not help me cause the ram isn't supported under the DRAM calculator.  

IAW thaiphoon, i have a "8Gb A-die" and "A" die isn't an option under DRAM Cal.  

Was reading on redit that corsair "will swap the memory ICs used in their high-speed kits from initial release, sometimes 2-3x, and Thaiphoon Burner will still read out the original IC."  

I dont know what you were looking at but it is. image.png.54c1dff5d326b06205680ed435b98133.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Canosgmk said:

If i buy a 4600 DDR4 gskull kit, would it run at 4600 as the Mobo will support "OC" up to 4600?

I keep reading to stay away from corsair with AMD chipsets. 😕

You are not going to run any Zen3 (except its an APU) past 1900mhz IF clock easily. Decoupling IF from DRAM clock results in significant penalties so that is also not worth it.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:54 PM, Levent said:

You are not going to run any Zen3 (except its an APU) past 1900mhz IF clock easily. Decoupling IF from DRAM clock results in significant penalties so that is also not worth it.

I have spent some time researching and your words have rang true everywhere i looked.  

So, why would the MOBO instructions for a 5900x platform say it will go over 4k in ram speed when the platform just will not support it?  Marketing? 

I am thinking of just getting some 3600mhz TridentZ RGB or ripjaws (don't care about RGB.  just want good quality ram) : (1900mhz*2=3800) and calling it a day.  I can use my old 3000mhz for my DIY server.   

I did find out if you use all four slots, it will not OC over 3200.  so i am going to just go with two sticks instead if i upgrade.  

6 minutes ago, Canosgmk said:

Marketing? 

Yeah I mean in the it can run it, its just pointless.

6 minutes ago, Canosgmk said:

I did find out if you use all four slots, it will not OC over 3200.  so i am going to just go with two sticks instead if i upgrade.  

I am actually running 4x32G dimms in my R5 3600 home server at 3600C18 (although with not that great secondary and tertiary timings) I am also running 4x8G dimms in my PC at 3600C16 (with also bad secondary and tertiary timings). I would recommend trying to get a 3200C14 kits that are known to be samsung B die. Everything else can be lackluster to overclock.

Personal opinion for the OP: if you want to squeeze more, change ram sticks, looking for something 3600 or 3800.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂