Should I get steam

garbeth

Hello everyone i thought meabe I sould get steam and buy some games to play online i usually play single modes but its kinda of boring, so i´m not sure if getting the games from steam or just buying the retail version in a store.

thanks 

with me whoever, ahead who can

I would recommend getting Steam. The main benefits are...sales, sales, and more sales.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Highly recommend Steam. There are lots of free games that you can play. Their store has amazing deals with the only downside being that heaps of the games I've purchased, I still haven't got around to playing.

One piece of software to organise your games, contact friends, share content, form groups. Great innovation in gaming.

Steam is great. I also recommend it.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Highly recommend Steam. There are lots of free games that you can play.

One piece of software to organise your games, contact friends, share content. Great innovation in gaming.

I agree 100%.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yes.  Completely, Yes.  Everyone should have Steam.  I've bought around a hundred games from Steam probably averaging around $5 each, because of their awesome sales.  I am a cheap gamer I'll admit.  I will never pay $60 for a game.  Plus you can get games sent as a gift from people if you don't want them buying you random crap you'll never use. And it can backup your save games.  Plus you can never "misplace" a game, since it's all based on your Steam account. Just download it again.  And it has tools built in to let you communicate with your gamer friends, even whilst playing.  It has some minor nuances and frustrations at times, but is easy to overlook them since it's so amazing.  I was resistant to the idea years ago, as I liked having physical copies, but I've since changed my mind.

Basically, Steam is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I love Steam, and I'm sure you will too.

Big Picture mode is pretty awesome too. Even though it's designed for PC gamers playing on their big screen TVs, I sometimes use it just because it's awesome.

there is no negative going with steam

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

thanks guys i definetly go for it ;)

with me whoever, ahead who can

Just in case not enough people have said yes yet, yes you should get steam.

Rig: CPU: 1x quad core potato(4.6GHz). Cooling: Iced Tea. GPU: AMD HDToaster. Motherboard: Asus "Stale Bread Extreme Edition". RAM: 2x 4GB sticks of 1600MHz celery. PSU: 650w Roborovski Hamster in wheel.  Storage: Many Floppy Disks. 

I switched to PC gaming cause of Steam. I'm a console gamer at heart but Steam has so many sales. It's all over the place. So I switched so I can get games really cheap, so I'd suggest you use Steam. Specially at holiday sales! 

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

When I was forced to get steam with my Orange Box I was annoyed. Mostly because I got the box from my in-laws who didn't have internet at the time. But there is an offline mode, and SALES!

All my games, with the exception of Blizzard games, are now from steam. It does DRM right. mostly unintrusive and makes it really easy to reinstall games without having to fiddle around with finding CD keys.

In case this wasn't clear: YES! PC Gaming = Steam.

(Honestly, I was kinda surprised someone would even ask this.)

Defo get Steam. The easiness and not to forget the AMAZING SALES are a must!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I used to think Origin was better and that Steam was poop - I decided to use Steam, and find it much better than Origin. In fact, I hardly ever use Origin except for games that are only available(or just purchased) on Origin.

Worst thing is games that require a other platform to be installed, most ubisoft titles.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

Worst thing is games that require a other platform to be installed, most ubisoft titles.

Absolutely agree!

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I've used it since I purchased the original Half Life 2 and buying retail games is so tedious now. Installing games off discs is slow and annoying. All my games are on my external hard drive and if I need to install them I just do the steam backup/restore. It's so much easier. If a game isn't available on Steam, I probably wont play it. And it isn't only to do with multiplayer, I don't play multiplayer games at all. Steam for me is a store.

Now, if you have slow internet and don't backup your downloads it kind of sucks. Some games are 20gb or more.

I'd recommend getting steam.

Not only do you get access to the worlds largest digital game distribution. You also get access to all their sales, events, community, and so much more.

If anything at all, you will like steam for it's simplicity. All of your games are digital and attached to your account not computer. If something happens and your hdd crashes, simply re install steam, log in and your library is available again. You don't have to worry about lost cd-keys, or scratched discs. It works really well for simplifying your game collection.

The only downside to Steam is the inability to sell your "used" games. Technically digital games can never qualify as used as there is no degradation or wear and tear possible. Because the games cannot be transferred or shared they potentially lose all value the second you purchase them. (other than for your own entertainment)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

110% get Steam.

Summer sale coming up too for big bundles of games.

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

yes to steam and no to origin.

Honestly you have to get any and all programs if you wish to play all games. Now that some publishers are creating their own private digital distribution software.

I'd recommend signing up and installing Steam, Uplay, Origin, and Green Man Gaming. that will cover you for nearly all digitally released games. you also get access to all the sales, some services offer better deals than others.

If you're looking for a way to communicate freely with a friends list between all programs try xfire.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.