chrome os

I don't understand the hate on Chrome OS. I have a Chromebook and I have Chrome OS Flex on an older laptop why do people hate chrome OS?

who knows.....

- maybe because it reminds them of their phone

- maybe because of the spyware

- maybe because they cant just launch all their normal windows games they want to play

- maybe they just hate how google is seeping into every corner of their electronic life, giving them less and less choices of comparable alternatives

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

Most people hate it because it can't do nearly as much as the Windows they know. Others hate it because it was the first PC operating system to bring us into the dystopian age of cloud computing in which the user is the product that's served to data brokers and advertisers. And some hate it because their only experience with it has been on utterly crap hardware so they feel like the OS is low quality. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

It's cheaper for Penguin people to buy Chromebooks then run Linux on them.

Problem is Google keep changing the game to make life miserable for them to do it.

I have a 10 yr+ old Chromebook that  run perfectly well currently, but will never buy one again.

8 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

Most people hate it because it can't do nearly as much as the Windows they know. Others hate it because it was the first PC operating system to bring us into the dystopian age of cloud computing in which the user is the product that's served to data brokers and advertisers. And some hate it because their only experience with it has been on utterly crap hardware so they feel like the OS is low quality. 

it is getting better Chromebooks are getting more apps.

Just lack of apps for me. If you only need Chrome it's highly recommended as it is incredibly performant at that one thing. But if you ever need to run any other app, or prefer any other web browser, it suddenly becomes worse than every other option so the use case is narrow.

Not sure if it's hate. There are very bad devices, there were somewhat misleading advertisements, there is 5-ish year obsolescence, and recent Amazon/Walmart drama selling such devices... There are small things here and there and this may paint a picture Chomebooks/Chrome OS is "bad". Same with Dell or Apple laptops. For Dell, I doubt people would say about hate, while for Apple there would certainly be tribalism - hate/love relationships. For Google, I'm not sure, maybe somewhat related to being a very specific corporate product?

Probably because it's an extremely crippled and anti-privacy version of Linux.

I used to daily drive a Chromebook for years, but eventually got pissed with Google's planned obsolescence. My machine was still a capable one, but Google will just refuse to support and update it. Went back to using a Windows machine and eventually ending up with Linux.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:14 AM, PopsCurling said:

I don't understand the hate on Chrome OS. I have a Chromebook and I have Chrome OS Flex on an older laptop why do people hate chrome OS?

My main distaste for ChromeOS is privacy. I want some protection from corporations spying on me at least a bit. I am not as paranoid as others, perhaps. However, I like every human being ever, have things they would like to keep to themselves. Nothing illegal, nothing immoral, just stuff I don't want to share with anyone, even if I am just one piece of a whole being stared at by some marketing execs. I use Linux and only dual-boot Windows specifically for work due to me working in the Adobe Creative Cloud suite and having no choice otherwise. 

If you like ChromeOS, enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it. I am just going to do my best to avoid actively using things that do not respect my basic levels of privacy.

On 8/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, plane_ said:

My main distaste for ChromeOS is privacy....If you like ChromeOS, enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it.

Precisely this. I do not like ChromeOS because I feel it's invasive of my privacy and I also feel it's a very locked down system. For some people these are non issues and the locked down nature may even be a plus. If it fits your needs and you do not have issues using it, go right ahead. Just because it's a bad fit for me doesn't make it a bad fit for others.