slow VPN L2TP speed with Netgear router

Hello there,

I really want to ask for an advise from more experienced users than myself abot L2TP internet speed.

So I bought NetGear AX1800 RAX20 router (latest firmware already installed) and it seemed to work fine by delivering 100mb/s stable connection.

However after I bought new xbox console I noticed that I am always getting disconnected from online gaming even though everything is connected directly by internet wires.

After discussing this issue with my ISP I've been told that I need a vpn connection using L2TP which they can provide me with.

After entering all the credentials in my router I got VPN L2TP connection and my console started to work just fine.

However I didnt check my internet speed at that same moment. Lately I've noticed my internet speed is limited to 60mb/s while using VPN which is almost 50% less the amount I am paying for. If I turn L2TP option off - my speed comes to normal 100mb/s.

As a solution my ISP offered me to try their own router (Mikrotik hap-lite 7442a-94125ND) which is significantly smaller and, on paper, less powerful. BUT using this router with L2TP my connection is basically 100mb/s. ISP explained to me that my routers CPU is not powerful enought to encrypt all the data so it limits the bandwidth. Another solution would be to turn L2TP encryption off, but I did not find this option in my router setting. Mikrotik router seems to handle this without any problem for some reason and I get 100mb/s stable connection.

So the main question: is my NetGear router so bad (even though it costs 3 times as much) that it can not deliver 100mb/s bandwidth with L2TP connection or am I missing something?

I would like to keep my NetGear router because it has so many features and controlling it with an app sometimes is really usefull, but this 60mb/s limitation really forces me to take Mikrotik router instead.

14 minutes ago, dep3kuj said:

ISP explained to me that my routers CPU is not powerful enought to encrypt all the data so it limits the bandwidth.

This.

The CPU resources needed for VPN encryption/decryption will result in some speed hit to most consumer routers.

Mikrotik probably has an ASIC within that accelerates VPN overhead, think of it like a GPU for VPN encryption.decryption.  Ooooor, the MIkrotik has an option to simply encapsulate the traffic sans encryption.