guidance on python project and gui

I work in a small factory in a lab - we got a smaller department that takes raw mats and makes a mat for use in line. the new mat "sheet" - the sheet can have different specs. it has a standard - each different "sheet" got different specs but all got a weighted color and other stuff in spec so it's the same pattren just diffrent standart.

just started python but i want to create a digital way to keep data , check that the "sheet" is according to spec and have a way for techs to see problems and statistics and change spec as needed.

1.make gui useing pyqt\pyside to add\edit\delete sample and add\edit\delete standart plus statistics .

2. need some ind of file for standarts .

3. some db for all the tests ? maybe excel files for each ? (sheet a ,sheet b etc), any good db for? maybe sql?

4.the option for after adding a sample to db print a report for it - now each sample got a paper report that going in a binder.

in the end i want both digital sofeware and and paper but maybe paper wont be needed? still a long road but is it possible to do? using pyqt openpyxl and others?

i need guidance on what to learn and if possible not looking for anyone to write for me.

for throwing together a simple GUI, this is my place to go:

https://www.pysimplegui.org/en/latest/

having that said.. i dont think making custom software in python is the way to go here. i presume the paper is the "evidence" for the lab, so your biggest task here is to actually come up with something that will be accepted as "evidence".

back when i dealt with stuff like this microsoft wasnt sunsetting VBA yet, and this sort of stuff is where excel + VBA really shines. it's easy to use for the labtechs, it's versatile, and excel is installed everywhere anyways.

oh - and everyone knows excel, so it's relatively easy to use it for your "evidence".

22 hours ago, manikyath said:

for throwing together a simple GUI, this is my place to go:

https://www.pysimplegui.org/en/latest/

having that said.. i dont think making custom software in python is the way to go here. i presume the paper is the "evidence" for the lab, so your biggest task here is to actually come up with something that will be accepted as "evidence".

back when i dealt with stuff like this microsoft wasnt sunsetting VBA yet, and this sort of stuff is where excel + VBA really shines. it's easy to use for the labtechs, it's versatile, and excel is installed everywhere anyways.

oh - and everyone knows excel, so it's relatively easy to use it for your "evidence".

the paper is a simple word\excel  doc with a table that we print 10+ copies and when almost done photocopy more.

it works like this get sample - test - write results on paper - put in binder.

if you want to review\edit\etc something you need to open the binder and start looking and sometime need more paper/ scrible stuff on it and its just annying or unreadable. also if you want to review data from more then 1 test its impossiable or hard and annoying.

a few  monthes ago i tried to make something with vba and eitther beacuse im a beginner or vba, some aspects didnt work and some was hard or impossiable. 

im learning python for me not just this but it seemed like some nice goal for know + help in job.

i wanted to make the process better and help tech and others visualize data better.

idk if : 1. try vba again 2. try python 3. get help with 1 or 2 4. drop the whole thing

last note  - we use ms access for somethings but ive come to hate it for a couple of reasons.

3 hours ago, newprogg said:

the paper is a simple word\excel  doc with a table that we print 10+ copies and when almost done photocopy more.

it works like this get sample - test - write results on paper - put in binder.

if you want to review\edit\etc something you need to open the binder and start looking and sometime need more paper/ scrible stuff on it and its just annying or unreadable. also if you want to review data from more then 1 test its impossiable or hard and annoying

i'm well aware of the process, the problem with changing this process is the necessary approval structure, and 'application ownership' as it's called in a nice word. (who will assure that the result is correct every time)

there's hundreds of ways to make this happen. after posting that last bit "FileMaker Pro" came to mind too.. which is possibly the biggest cesspit i've ever seen approved in a lab.

18 hours ago, manikyath said:

i'm well aware of the process, the problem with changing this process is the necessary approval structure, and 'application ownership' as it's called in a nice word. (who will assure that the result is correct every time)

there's hundreds of ways to make this happen. after posting that last bit "FileMaker Pro" came to mind too.. which is possibly the biggest cesspit i've ever seen approved in a lab.

i guess i will try vba again...  any advice about on how to implement or get it approved?

4 hours ago, newprogg said:

i guess i will try vba again...  any advice about on how to implement or get it approved?

how to implement: as simple and straight-forward as possible, basicly digital fill-in document with more features and less horrid handwriting. more features can come when the basics are laid out.

how to get it approved: have a way to "prove" the system does everything exactly the way it is expected. in fancy terms this is called a "validation procedure". essentially a list of steps and you record the result to prove that if things are done right it works, and things that might break it are covered.