Material for Scratchbuilt PC Frame

aom

I was wondering if 1/20 inch (1.27 mm) aluminum angles would be enough for a sturdy PC mid tower case frame. Finally started getting ready for my build.

I have some 1/16" thick 1.5 x 1.5" aluminum angle, and you can bend short chucks with your bare hands, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you do a lot of bracing. I'd go with 1/8".

Also, look for architectural angle (left in picture below), it doesn't have the radii.

angles.png

Another option would be aluminum extrusions:

WP_20130123_011.jpg

WP_20130122_004.jpg

IIRC this is 10mm from Mitsumi, and accepts 3mm nuts and bolts in the slots, I don't have any of it here at my house right now so I could be wrong. I'd step up a size if doing a larger case though...

How about this?

uUvtDqj.jpg

What is this called? Is it just rounded aluminum extrusions? 

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

Unfortunately, for my design, the "rounded aluminum extrusions", will not work. 

And off topic, but which material is stronger? Acrylic, HDPE, or Polycarbonate?

I unfortunately do not have enough of a budget to make the case out of full aluminum

Unfortunately, for my design, the "rounded aluminum extrusions", will not work. 

And off topic, but which material is stronger? Acrylic, HDPE, or Polycarbonate?

I unfortunately do not have enough of a budget to make the case out of full aluminum

This might help? http://www.hydrosight.com/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate-a-quantitative-and-qualitative-comparison/

I think polycarbonate is easier to scratch but (technically) stronger and more expensive

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

What is this called? Is it just rounded aluminum extrusions?

It is extruded with aluminum 6063-t5. A guy in my home town made this die and has it made in his own shop. So far I haven't got another place to get it.

@jiyang1018

location to obtain that extrusion? it is blank or pre-drilled? 6063 is way overkill, but better than zero..

@jiyang1018

location to obtain that extrusion? it is blank or pre-drilled? 6063 is way overkill, but better than zero..

This is from a online store in China. There should be no holes. If you are seriously interested, I could get you guys in touch about the details.