Radiator screw holes…

Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
6 minutes ago, Yin Izanami said:

Hope that won’t mess, I’ll try tomorrow when the shops will open and get 1 mm wider.. Tap holes.. and I’ll hope that works. Thanks to you all !

Looks at a tap chart for drill sizes and tap size. Don't just guess.

And I suggest using a tap with a flat end. Use some tape or whatever to mark the depth before you blindly tap.

Hello people,

I have a problem with my radiator screwholes..

I have a lian li Galahad 360 aio, but the screw holes are not holding up anymore. I wanted to try and buy 1mm larger screws but I’m afraid to hit the parts of the radiator where the fluid comes tru. Since this AIO.. well, it’s pretty good, it would be a shame to change it, it’s working flawlessly still. 

Do you have a solution that can help me out?

IMG_5202.jpeg

You should probably tap the holes first before you consider changing sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/OSOF-Adjustable-T-Handle-Ratchet-T-shaped/dp/B077HTXVR1/

^I'm not specifically suggesting this kit, I'm just showing you what a "tap" looks like. I don't know the thread size you're working with.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 minutes ago, Yin_iz said:

I’m afraid I can’t do it cause I might damage the part where the fluid passes tru 

That is why I am suggesting you tap the existing hole and don't exceed the existing length and size...

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

7 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

That is why I am suggesting you tap the existing hole and don't exceed the existing length and size...

Sorry maybe I misunderstood you but even if I “re design” the borders, they are too large anyway, original screws are just falling off..

Just now, Yin Izanami said:

Sorry maybe I misunderstood you but even if I “re design” the borders, they are too large anyway, original screws are just falling off..

When you tap the hole you'll make it fit a wider screw. Then you can use the same length and have threads so it'll actually stay in.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

When you tap the hole you'll make it fit a wider screw. Then you can use the same length and have threads so it'll actually stay in.

Yea but wider as said earlier is risky, I’m afraid to touch/destroy the part where the fluid is passing by, and it is really really near, maybe from the photo it seems far off but it isn’t 

2 minutes ago, Yin Izanami said:

Yea but wider as said earlier is risky, I’m afraid to touch/destroy the part where the fluid is passing by, and it is really really near, maybe from the photo it seems far off but it isn’t 

Longer is risky. How is wider going to hit anything that carries water? The bracket the screws go in don't have water in them.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Longer is risky. How is wider going to hit anything that carries water? The bracket the screws go in don't have water in them.

Wait wait, the zig-zag-like parts are for cooling with air, so it’s not a problem, if u look at the pic I posted, larger would probably be, I may hit the fluid circuit 

4 minutes ago, Yin Izanami said:

Wait wait, the zig-zag-like parts are for cooling with air, so it’s not a problem, if u look at the pic I posted, larger would probably be, I may hit the fluid circuit 

Unless you get a super wide screw, that's also too long, you won't touch the fluid area. You should only need a screw that's barely wider than the old ones, and you can either buy one at the same length or cut it down if they can't be had that short. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Unless you get a super wide screw, that's also too long, you won't touch the fluid area. You should only need a screw that's barely wider than the old ones, and you can either buy one at the same length or cut it down if they can't be had that short. 

Hope that won’t mess, I’ll try tomorrow when the shops will open and get 1 mm wider.. Tap holes.. and I’ll hope that works. Thanks to you all !

6 minutes ago, Yin Izanami said:

And I suggest using a tap with a flat end. Use some tape or whatever to mark the depth before you blindly tap.

5 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Do not worry I do not want to replace my aio until the very next Intel gen (currently i9 12900k, will wait for the new “technology” gen Intel is promising, unless they screw things up), I will be careful Dw Dw. And maybe even in the next gen I’ll still stick with Lian li new aios. Lian li does a lot of things and they do them very good. Just don’t like stock aio fans, noisy in my case. I did remove the fans, cleaned the internal parts from old lubrificant and did put a new quality one. I ran a test and it’s so fluid, spins way better and seems like no noise till 60% ( Corsair 5000d airflow closed, no dust filter on top). I’m in a silent environment / studio so if I do not hear anything it’s a damn good sign. 

this time I’ll try to mount the radiator top once I’m done with drilling and mounting. The only time I top mounted with a Corsair aio (push pull), i had power throttle, while front mounted was kinda ok, but still that aio (the one with the super customisable screen) did run awful for me. Temps were just too high. 
I owned 2 Corsair aios and I just cudnt get good performance. I only got good temps with NZXT/Lian li/Arctic coolers. 

also I find Corsair fans horrible in both performance (i find pressure on radiator really bad even pushpulling) and airflow… plus in my experience they are also all but chill, they are noisy as hell.

But that’s my experience. The commander pro at least is good for me, to set single channels, one cable

To rule everything!  ♥️