I just built my first PC and am having what I think is a unique issue.  After starting my PC, I am able to launch games just fine and play for however long I want with no issues whatsoever (no stuttering, no crashing, great framerates, etc.).  However, once about 5 minutes passes and I close the application, I am unable to launch games again.  I am able to launch/close multiple times and even multiple games before I hit the 5 minute mark, but afterwards I am no longer able to launch the app.  I have tested this with two games - Halo Infinite Multiplayer (via Steam) and Warzone 2.0 (via Battle.net) and have the same results.

I feel I have tried just about every suggestion for issues where games fail to launch or are crashing:

- Ensured I did not daisy-chain PCIe cables to my GPU (RX 7900 XT) and I have an 850W PSU (Thermaltake Toughpower GF1)

- Re-Seated all hardware connections

- Updated BIOS (Asus Prime B650 Plus)

- Updated drivers (GPU, Chipset, and Mobo).  I also tried rolling back the GPU driver.

- Updated Windows

- Updated game apps, verified integrity of game files

- Temporarily disabled Antivirus/firewall (also changed settings to allow the apps through the firewall)

- Ran games as admin

- Tried a clean boot

- Disabled DOCP

- Clearing cache files

- Uninstalled/reinstalled games

- Ran Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade

- Disabled AMD and Steam overlays

My CPU is a Ryzen 5 7600x, my RAM is Corsair Dominator Plat 5600MHz DDR5, SSD is Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB, and I am running Windows 11 Home.  I have a dual monitor setup with an Omen 27qs and Omen 27i.

I have been researching the issue all week and haven't come across any forum where someone has had an issue like this.  I am able to work around the issue by just restarting my PC whenever I want to play a game but it's not ideal.  Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by JM99
Grammar and Updates

describe more in detail.l what happens when you close the game or whatever app.

what happens next when you try to open another game?

do you get an error message or does it just do nothing?

can you open non-games after this happens, or is your system basically a zombie at that point until restart?

22 minutes ago, UnusualDevices said:

describe more in detail.l what happens when you close the game or whatever app.

what happens next when you try to open another game?

do you get an error message or does it just do nothing?

can you open non-games after this happens, or is your system basically a zombie at that point until restart?

When I close the game, my system behaves totally normal. If I close the app soon enough after launching, I am able to re-launch the game (or a different game) without issue. However, once I try to launch a game after the 5 minute mark of booting my PC, it begins to launch for about 5-10 seconds, and then it fails. There is no error message, the launch window just closes itself. Afterwards my system is still totally fine (able to browse the internet, watch videos, use other apps, etc.). 

23 hours ago, JM99 said:

When I close the game, my system behaves totally normal. If I close the app soon enough after launching, I am able to re-launch the game (or a different game) without issue. However, once I try to launch a game after the 5 minute mark of booting my PC, it begins to launch for about 5-10 seconds, and then it fails. There is no error message, the launch window just closes itself. Afterwards my system is still totally fine (able to browse the internet, watch videos, use other apps, etc.). 

this only happens with games then? in the same or different launchers? all games?

8 hours ago, UnusualDevices said:

this only happens with games then? in the same or different launchers? all games?

Correct, just games. My system opens all other application fine. The only two games I have are Halo Infinite Multi and WZ2. I launch Halo from Steam and I launch WZ2 from Battle.net. The same exact issue occurs for both, more or less:

I click “Play” in Steam, it flashes “launching” for a fraction of a second, then switches to “Running”, then just stops running after 5 seconds. I can click “Play” again but it just goes back through the same loop. 

I click “Play” in Battle.net, it flashes “launching” for a second, then switches to “Playing Now”. The initial load window for the game pops up and the background goes black as it does when the game actually starts up, but after a second the load window and black background disappear. I can click “Play” again but it just goes back through the same loop. 

sounds like one or both games/launchers are holding on to system resources and not releasing them when you shut it down.

try using win+ctrl+shift+B after closing a game down to restart your display drivers.

and make sure you exit the launcher so the icon disappears from your system tray.

Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't do the trick.

I recently downloaded Halo MCC on the Xbox app just to see if anything would behave any differently.  This time, the game starts to launch but I get an error message:

DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine.

I was only able to do a little research so far, but using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, I can see that I only have Feature Level 12_2 and no others. 

Here is the site I was looking at:  https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-dx11-feature-level-10-error/ (step 3)

Do you think I should RMA this GPU?

On 7/31/2023 at 8:33 PM, UnusualDevices said:

not yet.

use DDU to remove all trace of drivers and re-install drivers

I'm still holding my breath a little bit, but I think this worked!

I had to use the DDU uninstaller twice.  The first time I tried it, I allowed Windows to update my graphics drivers and tried just using those.  My system kept crashing due to instability so I ended up installing drivers from AMD's site.  That lead me right back to where I started where I didn't have all of the feature levels needed to play the games I wanted to play.  The second time I used DDU, after restarting, I went straight to AMD's site to download drivers to try and beat out the Windows updates (from my understanding, you can't disable updates safely so I didn't want to try that).  The AMD driver installation process did get interrupted because Windows was installing updates; however, I clicked through the message and continued to update drivers using AMD's software as soon as I was allowed.  After the update finished and I rebooted, the issue seems to be fixed.  Games launch whenever I want and I haven't had any crashes!

Thanks for all of your help on this!  I will report back here if I continue to have any issues.