Some Q's on the New Pinephone

XZDX

I just noticed the othger day a new pinephone is out with an RK3399 in it.  Not only is it extremely exciting that a rickchip is in a phone to me, but the 3399 can run PS2 games fast enough to almost be the real deal, so to me thats power.

My current set up for at my desk uses a Nintendo Switch as my low PC.  My High PC is for running large software suites and games, where my switch is ungodly convenient in form factor.  Being able to dock my PC, then just pick it up and walk away, works astoundingly well for my lifestyle.

Personally what I really want is Samsung Dex with a Gnome desktop that I open up to.  I think I could get behind having desktop apps on one wortkspace, phone apps on the other, working, need to poop, reading something, pick up phone, go poop, come back, redock, its like actual heaven for me if that can be done.  I can't explain it, but I'm the exact user demographic for that.

But....  is an RK3399 faster than a Tegra X1?  IDAK.  If I docked my phone, would everything go to shit on the desktop?  How can I look up info to see about that?  Does anyone here have one and use it for this functionality?

If anyone can let me know I'd be ecstatic

\\TY

You sure talk about pooping a lot, is everything quick and clean, or does it take a while?

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/cannabis-ibd-can-it-help

I presume, if it were a single handful of minutes situation, you probably wouldn't mention it.  When everyrhing is just right, I'm done in less than two minutes!  I make sure each time, so it's at least three minutes, but when that does work out, it is very time-saving and saves on tp as well.  That's rarely the case, but cannabis usually makes that a reality, not every time, but usually 7/10 times or more.  So, since you brought up the topic, if you or other here spend lots of time with the tp phase of it, consider cannabis inhalation just before you go, and try that a few times for having a better time, and saving resources.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

Another forum, level1techs, has a whole section on pinephone experience, going on now for three years.  It's probably the best resource so far:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/linux-phone-hub/160167

If it is not discussed in that thread, you could make a post there.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

19 hours ago, E-waste said:

Another forum, level1techs, has a whole section on pinephone experience, going on now for three years.  It's probably the best resource so far:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/linux-phone-hub/160167

If it is not discussed in that thread, you could make a post there.

Oh they don't like me.  I'm too "Old Skool" for them.  I'll read, but idk that they'll have what I'm looking for either.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, XZDX said:

I just noticed the othger day a new pinephone is out with an RK3399 in it.  Not only is it extremely exciting that a rickchip is in a phone to me, but the 3399 can run PS2 games fast enough to almost be the real deal, so to me thats power.

My current set up for at my desk uses a Nintendo Switch as my low PC.  My High PC is for running large software suites and games, where my switch is ungodly convenient in form factor.  Being able to dock my PC, then just pick it up and walk away, works astoundingly well for my lifestyle.

Personally what I really want is Samsung Dex with a Gnome desktop that I open up to.  I think I could get behind having desktop apps on one wortkspace, phone apps on the other, working, need to poop, reading something, pick up phone, go poop, come back, redock, its like actual heaven for me if that can be done.  I can't explain it, but I'm the exact user demographic for that.

But....  is an RK3399 faster than a Tegra X1?  IDAK.  If I docked my phone, would everything go to shit on the desktop?  How can I look up info to see about that?  Does anyone here have one and use it for this functionality?

If anyone can let me know I'd be ecstatic

\\TY

I would guess the RK3399 is faster. Tho it's worth noting that the PinePhone Pro uses the RK3399S which is a modified version of the RK3399 to run at lower wattage and to generate less heat. The performance of the RK3399S is probably around 10-15% weaker than the standard RK3399.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),