Seasonic Focus PX-850 enough watts for a RTX 3090

davidst95
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
19 minutes ago, davidst95 said:

Hi, about two years ago I built my parents a desktop with an AMD 5900X and an MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 TI with a Seasonic Focus PX-850.   I want to swap the video card it out with an MSI GAMING TRIO RTX 3090.   The RTX 3090 was my old card before I upgraded to the RTX 4090.   My dad plays Microsoft Flight Simulator a lot and read that the increased VRAM and bus size can increase the performance in that type of game at 4k.    The Seasonic website says I need a 1000w PSU, but the specs say it's only an increase of 30 watts of power over the RTX 3080 TI.  The MSI website recommends 750W.    Can I get buy with my current PSU, or is it safer to just upgrade to a 1000W?   Any advice would be greatly appreciated!   Thank you in advance.

David

Hey David!  The Seasonic Focus PX-850 is a quality PSU and should do just fine for the 3090.  It does like to spike a bit in power but there are plenty of people running 3090 with an 850w.
Check this one out, its quite an interesting video.  I know its the 4090 but it shows how good and overspec quality PSU's actually are.

Hi, about two years ago I built my parents a desktop with an AMD 5900X and an MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 TI with a Seasonic Focus PX-850.   I want to swap the video card it out with an MSI GAMING TRIO RTX 3090.   The RTX 3090 was my old card before I upgraded to the RTX 4090.   My dad plays Microsoft Flight Simulator a lot and read that the increased VRAM and bus size can increase the performance in that type of game at 4k.    The Seasonic website says I need a 1000w PSU, but the specs say it's only an increase of 30 watts of power over the RTX 3080 TI.  The MSI website recommends 750W.    Can I get buy with my current PSU, or is it safer to just upgrade to a 1000W?   Any advice would be greatly appreciated!   Thank you in advance.

David

19 minutes ago, davidst95 said:

David

Hey David!  The Seasonic Focus PX-850 is a quality PSU and should do just fine for the 3090.  It does like to spike a bit in power but there are plenty of people running 3090 with an 850w.
Check this one out, its quite an interesting video.  I know its the 4090 but it shows how good and overspec quality PSU's actually are.

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Hi, thanks for the quick response and the link to the Linus video.   This really puts my worries at ease 🙂

David