Cyberpower UPS clicking but not turning on

GeoffLucas

Afternoon all,

I have an older version of this Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD (https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pfc-sinewave/cp1500pfclcd/). Last night it started sounding an alarm, kind of like a half-volume fire alarm. I don't remember exactly what I did to get it to stop the noise, I think I just unplugged it. It was clicking though, very lightly through the night. 

Anyway, this morning I've tried restarting it, in the outlet it was in and another downstairs on a different circuit. It keeps clicking but will will not turn on at all. I did notice a few nights ago that when I tried to use a small laser printer on the same circuit, but NOT plugged into the UPS, it caused the UPS to shut off completely killing everything connected to it. It didn't pop the circuits CB or the CB in the back of the UPS. I unplugged the printer from the wall and turned the unit back on. It registered full battery and no problems.

I guess my question is has anyone seen this behavior before? Is it possible this is just the battery died and is keeping the unit from turning on? Or is it more likely the PCB shorted out. A new battery is like $60 to $80 and I would rather do that than get a whole new unit. It's had a new battery before, but didn't act anything like this. The unit is like 11 or 12 years old, so it just dying would not be that surprising.

Thanks.

Geoff

Sounds like your batteries died. Do you have a multimeter you can check them with?

If you unplug the batteries, does the UPS turn on as a big, complicated, inefficient surge protector?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.