SteamOS Download

TubsAlwaysWins

Anyone know where I can download SteamOS for building your own steam machine? The download links on this page: https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown takes you to SteamOS for Steam Deck at this page: https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download?ver=steamdeck

Thoughts? Is it the same thing? 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Valve hasn't released a standalone installer for the current SteamOS yet.

In the meantime you could use the unofficial open source Project Holo to install it on your custom setup; the project has created an ISO installer using the official recovery package and added extra driver support.

https://github.com/HoloISO/holoiso

Edit: though it looks like Nvidia support has gone south recently due to Valve related updates. But Nvidia isn't great on Linux anyway so take that as you will.

7 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Anyone know where I can download SteamOS for building your own steam machine? The download links on this page: https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown takes you to SteamOS for Steam Deck at this page: https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download?ver=steamdeck

There is no official general image yet for general PC's. In the meantime you can install any linux distro and set it to launch steam on startup in big picture mode.

7 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

They are not the same thing at all.

The "build your own" SteamOS is basically abandoned. The Steam Deck OS is completely different, based on Arch Linux instead of Debian 8. There are a couple projects spun up for running the Steam Deck recovery image on a custom PC, but they're still works in progress.

The Steam Deck interface replaced Big Picture Mode in the normal Steam installation. You don't need to run the Steam Deck OS to get it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They are not the same thing at all.

The "build your own" SteamOS is basically abandoned. The Steam Deck OS is completely different, based on Arch Linux instead of Debian 8. There are a couple projects spun up for running the Steam Deck recovery image on a custom PC, but they're still works in progress.

The Steam Deck interface replaced Big Picture Mode in the normal Steam installation. You don't need to run the Steam Deck OS to get it.

Glorious Eggroll did make a Nobara port for SteamOS just grab the steamdeck edition

12 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

This is true as well. no need to run official Holo OS anymore if you just want the new Big Picture interface.

16 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

This is true as well. no need to run official Holo OS anymore if you just want the new Big Picture interface.

The goal here is that im over my FireTV and want to get something else set up to replace the "smart" part of the TV, and thought I would give SteamOS a try. Basically something I can watch youtube on and stream games from my laptop to.

Ive got an Intel NUC im trying to get it working on 

1 hour ago, Brando212 said:

Valve hasn't released a standalone installer for the current SteamOS yet.

In the meantime you could use the unofficial open source Project Holo to install it on your custom setup; the project has created an ISO installer using the official recovery package and added extra driver support.

https://github.com/HoloISO/holoiso

Edit: though it looks like Nvidia support has gone south recently due to Valve related updates. But Nvidia isn't great on Linux anyway so take that as you will.

Got Holo installed but once you reboot the screen stays black :(.

Going to try Nobra

4 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

The goal here is that im over my FireTV and want to get something else set up to replace the "smart" part of the TV, and thought I would give SteamOS a try. Basically something I can watch youtube on and stream games from my laptop to.

Ive got an Intel NUC im trying to get it working on 

oh I feel that. I dislike FireTV mostly because it's rather unstable in my personal experience. Last time I owned a FireTV 4K stick I had to swap it twice because I kept getting the random reboot issue and never got a stable unit.

SteamOS isn't really going to be the best fit for your use case IMO, I'd more recommend going the Android TV route with either a Chromecast or Nvidia Shield.

If getting new hardware is not an option right now then you could try Android TV or Kodi on your NUC:

edit: I recommend testing the Android TV route because it will support casting to it and there's a Steam Link android app for it as well which would suit your game streaming needs.

2 hours ago, Brando212 said:

oh I feel that. I dislike FireTV mostly because it's rather unstable in my personal experience. Last time I owned a FireTV 4K stick I had to swap it twice because I kept getting the random reboot issue and never got a stable unit.

SteamOS isn't really going to be the best fit for your use case IMO, I'd more recommend going the Android TV route with either a Chromecast or Nvidia Shield.

If getting new hardware is not an option right now then you could try Android TV or Kodi on your NUC:

edit: I recommend testing the Android TV route because it will support casting to it and there's a Steam Link android app for it as well which would suit your game streaming needs.

Ill see if I can make SteamOS work for now. I will see how it does on a NUC and if that doesnt have the power ill use an old laptop motherboard. I think 6th gen i5 or i7 and a GTX 750M. Better than the 4th gen i5 in the NUC.

Yeah I have a toshiba TV with FireTV built in. Super unstable and laggy. Full of ads even though I pay for Prime

I would like to do android TV but I want to use a Xbox controller as the remote. I also want the ability to stream games.

2 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I would like to do android TV but I want to use a Xbox controller as the remote. I also want the ability to stream games.

I do believe a xbox controller can be used to navigate Android TV and I know for a fact that streaming works because it has access to the Play Store for Steam Link, GeForce Now, Moonlight, Shadow, etc.