dumb question

smoothnobody

my buddy just told me he is running a 2080 TI with only 1 of the 2 required power connectors. he says it's actually working and played god of war with all the settings maxed. i told him this was dumb and don't do this. he asked me what could happen? i didn't have an answer cause i've never done anything like this nor have i heard about anybody doing this. i tried to google search and even google isn't giving me the answer. most threads say i don't know. some say i did this on accident and it won't boot. but his is actually working. what could go wrong?

3 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

my buddy just told me he is running a 2080 TI with only 1 of the 2 required power connectors. he says it's actually working and played god of war with all the settings maxed. i told him this was dumb and don't do this. he asked me what could happen? i didn't have an answer cause i've never done anything like this nor have i heard about anybody doing this. i tried to google search and even google isn't giving me the answer. most threads say i don't know. some say i did this on accident and it won't boot. but his is actually working. what could go wrong?

Ask him if the cable is daisy chained.  One cable can have 2x8pin connectors for the GPU, he or you might be misunderstanding.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Ask him if the cable is daisy chained.  One cable can have 2x8pin connectors for the GPU, he or you might be misunderstanding.

1 port is completely empty

5 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

1 port is completely empty

Well, tell him to plug the 2nd cable in.  The GPU has a max power draw of 250w and 1x8pin can supply 150w and the PCIE slot on the motherboard will give 75w so we are very close to the limit of the card.  Some cards just refuse to boot without both connected and I am surprised it played God Of War like this, but sometimes people have forgotten and it worked just fine.
He is putting a lot of stress on one of the cables but its rated like this so no harm should happen.
If it requires more power than it gets it will just shut down.
Both are correct and wrong I guess. The GPU works, is it smart to do it like this, absolutely not.