Is there any advantage to using a 5G Pocket WiFi / 5G CPE Modem vs a 5G smartphone's tethering / hotspot?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
8 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I would assume the mobile hotspot to be a tad better and have reception even when the phone does not, since that is its only purpose. Not to a significant degree, though.

But I would get a 5G thingy with an RJ45 jack as well as a WiFi hotspot to have more redundancy as well as a more stable connection via wire, at least in theory.

The portable ones typically have worse reception than a phone and may not support all the technologies to get the best speed, the fixed ones way way better than a phone and support more connected devices.

I just want a dedicated device for hotspot, so in terms of speed/performance, is there any advantage to using a 5G Pocket WiFi / CPE Modem vs a 5G smartphone's tethering / hotspot?

I'm eyeing for:

• Samsung Galaxy A13 5G [Smartphone]
  • Samsung Galaxy SCR01 5G [Pocket WiFi]
  • Huawei CPE 5G Pro 2 [CPE Modem]
  • Green Packet GP Classic (GP IDU D5H) [CPE Modem]

Price: The pocket WiFi and smartphone are close, the difference is about USD10-20. The CPE Modem is about USD110-130 more expensive than the smartphone.

Use Cases:

• Gaming (GTA V, L4D2, Overwatch, Parsec)
  • Work from home (Zoom, Teams, Outlook, Remote Desktop)
  • Watching (Netflix, YouTube)

Signal Strength: I get around 300-500Mbps on my Galaxy S22 Ultra, and I am very satisfied with the perfomance for the use cases listed above.

Smartphone will have better battery life when using wifi than cellular

Personal spec:

MB: ROG SRTIX Z690-A D5 WIFI

CPU: Intel i7 - 13700K

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Frozen Notte 360 White AIO with 3 extra fans

GPU: Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX

RAM: DDR5 16G * 2@6800Mhz

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold

Chassis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic White

Storage:

Intel Optane 900P 280GB * 1(OS)

Samsung 970 evo plus 2TB * 1

Samsung 860 evo 2TB * 1

Samsung pm981a 900GB * 2

HDD: WD Purple 4TB * 1

Monitor: 27'' 4K 144hz miniled

44 minutes ago, milesuy said:

is there any advantage to using a 5G Pocket WiFi / CPE Modem vs a 5G smartphone's tethering / hotspot?

I would assume the mobile hotspot to be a tad better and have reception even when the phone does not, since that is its only purpose. Not to a significant degree, though.

But I would get a 5G thingy with an RJ45 jack as well as a WiFi hotspot to have more redundancy as well as a more stable connection via wire, at least in theory.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

8 minutes ago, Bismut said:

The portable ones typically have worse reception than a phone and may not support all the technologies to get the best speed, the fixed ones way way better than a phone and support more connected devices.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7