When a fresh Windows 11 install doesn't actually mean a fresh Windows 11 install.

Noca

So I have an issue, I was using some cheap EVGA gaming keyboard before, I activated it's Windows key disable feature so it wouldn't popup in games.  I then got a new keyboard, and uninstalled the EVGA software, but the windows key was still disabled on my new keyboard.  I reinstalled the EVGA software, reenabled the windows key which made the key work on my evga keyboard but not my new keyboard.  So anyways, I recently got a new SSD and installed that, did a fresh install of Windows 11, thinking oh, whatever registry problem is causing my issue would be fixed.  But apparently installing a fresh copy of Windows on an entirely new drive no longer matters, because Windows likes to carry over all the previous problems associated with the same Windows license key (not the keyboard key) over to any fresh installs.  Wtf?  I clicked every option I could find that I could during the Windows install to tell Windows that I didn't want to keep any previous files or settings but Windows doesn't listen.

How do I get my Windows key on my new keyboard to work again?  I have a similar issue with my other computer where I had a previous keyboard disable the numpad and now every keyboard's numpad will not work in Windows regardless of what I do.

Not sure what exact keyboards you are using. But these days they have their own configurable firmware. So if you disable the key in the software, it saves it to the keyboard, thus anything you plug that keyboard into the key will be disabled until you enable it again in the software.

Example being the Corsair K95 I have. I can confugre any key to do anything and save it to the hardware firmware on board. On top of that, it has profiles that i can easily change. Additonally, it has a seperate 'lock' button that will disable things like the windows key.

Not saying you keyboard has all these features

If it is the OS. Its probably syncing youre settings using you Microsoft Login ID. Even if you dont use the same license key, if you log in with a windows account it will automatically assign the key and sync your settings.  Look into disabling sync and see if that works. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/about-windows-backup-and-sync-settings-deebcba2-5bc0-4e63-279a-329926955708

25 minutes ago, Panda Stonetree said:

Not sure what exact keyboards you are using. But these days they have their own configurable firmware. So if you disable the key in the software, it saves it to the keyboard, thus anything you plug that keyboard into the key will be disabled until you enable it again in the software.

Example being the Corsair K95 I have. I can confugre any key to do anything and save it to the hardware firmware on board. On top of that, it has profiles that i can easily change. Additonally, it has a seperate 'lock' button that will disable things like the windows key.

Not saying you keyboard has all these features, but it sounds like your answer is likely in the keyboard software and manual, not the OS itself.

If it is the OS. Its probably syncing youre settings using you Microsoft Login ID. Even if you dont use the same license key, if you log in with a windows account it will automatically assign the key and sync your settings.  Look into disabling sync and see if that works. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/about-windows-backup-and-sync-settings-deebcba2-5bc0-4e63-279a-329926955708

I looked at that link and I turned off windows sync for Windows settings, I just can't go through another install again(too many hours wasted trying to get garbage Armory crate to work again).  Plan on rebuilding my other computer this week so I will see if that change helps fix it's similar keyboard issues.

My previous keyboard was an EVGA Z15 and the current one is a ROG Azoth(doesn't even have a windows key disable function).  My other computer I had Ducky One which some onboard function disabled the numpad and I returned that keyboard, and now every keyboard's numpad will not work regardless of whether the numpad lock is on or off with that computer.  It is definitely saving these options to the OS, likely registry somewhere but I have no idea where it is and Windows was tying these settings to my Windows License key/microsoft account.

Actually I found a fix finally.  Even though ROG Azoth had a disable windows key function which did nothing (fn + win) on or off, even though it showed that it toggled it on or off, the key itself wouldn't work.   

I found a guide to edit the registry.  I had to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> System> CurrentControSet> Control> Keyboard Layout  , then add a scan map code with the values below, save, restart, return to this menu, delete the scanmap code I just made, then restart again, then toggle the windows lock on and off using (fn + win key) on my new keyboard and now it works.   Why?  I don't know.  Just happy it works now.  Also tested another keyboard on this computer and it's windows key now works as well.

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0
00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00