Is the Intel Arc A770 good enough/worth for 1440p gaming?

Mangrovius

Title. More specifically my question is, is the card good enough that I won't have to buy a new one in the coming say 5 years? I'm using a  GTX 1660 TI right now and it doesn't run too great at 1440P (especially on Diablo 4, frequent crashes after loading. Other games it's just worse performance but no crash)

If not, do you guys have any other card recommendations which will last last me for the coming 5 or so years? My budgets around 1000 euro but preferably way cheaper. Was thinking about the RX 6800 as well. I care more about price to performance than paying 10x more for that extra 10%.

Has to be able to be delivered to the Netherlands (so I can't use Newegg or Ebay for example)

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Ram: 32 GB Trident Z 3200Mhz 

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Storage: Some kioxia nvme ssd 1tb, some samsung sata ssd 1tb

Also is a 850W psu enough? 

p.s prices im seeing is 380 euro for the A770, 540 euro for the RX 6800XT

No. Not really worht it with yoru system. 5800x3D you should be looking at 3080/4080, not a barebones card. Get a used 6900XT or a 7900XT/XTX cause otherwise there isnt much point in having one of the best gaming cpus.

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No. Not really worht it with yoru system. 5800x3D you should be looking at 3080/4080, not a barebones card. Get a used 6900XT or a 7900XT/XTX cause otherwise there isnt much point in having one of the best gaming cpus.

Im not buying used because i dont know what defects im looking for. Did it once, card died 1 month after.

Do i really need something as "performant" as a 4080? Seems like a huge step from a 1660 ti. Im not looking to get the best card  my processor can handle, but im looking for the cheapest card for 60-120fps on 1440p on roughly medium settings on most newer titles

Well it comes down to what you want. You set aside about 1k euro for one, and honestly getting a 7900XT for around 700 would be fine. For the most part its pretty much good enough. Unless you want DLSS, then youll need a 4080. I dont think you should spend 1200$ on a 4080 when 7900XTX is so close to it in performance and quite a bit cheaper, but its all what you want.

A770 is not a 380€ upgrade over a 1660ti. It's only about 40% faster in the games it works well in.

19 minutes ago, Mangrovius said:

but im looking for the cheapest card for 60-120fps on 1440p on roughly medium settings on most newer titles

What shops do you have and what is your budget? Because there is the trap of buying a too low performance card for too much money meaning needing earlier replacement thus being more expensive in the long run.

36 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A770 is not a 380€ upgrade over a 1660ti. It's only about 40% faster in the games it works well in.

What shops do you have and what is your budget? Because there is the trap of buying a too low performance card for too much money meaning needing earlier replacement thus being more expensive in the long run.

amazon.nl , megekko.nl, azerty.nl, tweakers.nl, coolblue.nl, bol.com, alternate.nl, paradigit.nl, mediamarkt.nl informatique.nl. Those are the ones I know of

43 minutes ago, Mangrovius said:

amazon.nl , megekko.nl, azerty.nl, tweakers.nl, coolblue.nl, bol.com, alternate.nl, paradigit.nl, mediamarkt.nl informatique.nl. Those are the ones I know of

megekko.nl has a 6950xt for like 650

https://www.megekko.nl/product/0/1128007/Asrock-Radeon-RX-6950-XT-Phantom-Gaming-D-16G?r=tweakers.net&utm_source=tweakers.net&utm_medium=cpc

This will last you a LONG time.

If you want cheaper the rx6700 https://www.megekko.nl/product/0/1138936/PowerColor-Radeon-RX-6700-XT-Fighter-12GB?r=tweakers.net&utm_source=tweakers.net&utm_medium=cpc

starts at 340 and is better than the a770

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

what about the 6800/6800xt?

1 hour ago, Mangrovius said:

what about the 6800/6800xt?

Barest of minimum for 1440p, but why are you spending this little? Cost of ownership stacks fast when you buy as cheap as you can. Its about good value.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

15 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Barest of minimum for 1440p, but why are you spending this little? Cost of ownership stacks fast when you buy as cheap as you can. Its about good value.

eh?
that is a lot for 1440p

I have always just ran nvidia 60 class cards, a 6700xt is more than enough. I dont have a single game I cant run with the 3060. Hell there is a chunk I play at 4k. 

People think they need so much more than they do. 

Cost of ownership? the 6700xt cost of ownership is lower, it uses less watts.

10 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

(pls correct me if im wrong)
isnt this one quite a bit better cause of the speeds for only a 10 euro increase in price? (its on sale rn)
https://www.megekko.nl/product/1962/1062725/AMD-Videokaarten/XFX-Radeon-RX-6950-XT-MERC-319-BLACK-Videokaart?s_o=1

17 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

i aint made of money :D. just exploring options

Getting five years out of a card in 2023 is unrealistic. I got five years out of my GTX 970, but that's because I was running it at 1080p and it was super overkill for 1080p back in 2014 when I got it. It was like the RTX 4080 of its day, eg pretty close to previous gen flagship performance, but at $330. And 4080 is overkill for 1440p. So if you're willing to drop $1200 on a 4080, maybe it'll be good for five years at 1440p with lots of settings tweaking the last couple of years? Better off just buying something cheaper that'll last you 3 years and then buy something new in 3 years.

7 minutes ago, starsmine said:

People think they need so much more than they do. 

Because they do. Honestly speaking at current state of hardware 1440p144 is basically a good target to hit because consoles can easily do 1440p60 with great details as it stands. Could you do it with 6700XT? Sure, i play AC at 1080p 32:9 on it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Also, what games do you play? Diablo 4 and similar MP games aren't going to require too much gpu. But if you want to play upcoming Unreal Engine 5 AAA games those are going to push your gpu hard at 1440p.

8 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Because they do. Honestly speaking at current state of hardware 1440p144 is basically a good target to hit because consoles can easily do 1440p60 with great details as it stands. Could you do it with 6700XT? Sure, i play AC at 1080p 32:9 on it.

you can do it with a 1660 Super/1660 ti. Not that i recommend that card to be purchased today, just that I would say there is not a strong incentive to upgrade one if you have one. 

I know OP has one, but they might want to look into why diablo 4 is crashing.

But if they are set on upgrading, a AMDs whole line up are currently amazing deals, so just spend what you want.

6 hours ago, Mangrovius said:

(pls correct me if im wrong)
isnt this one quite a bit better cause of the speeds for only a 10 euro increase in price? (its on sale rn)
https://www.megekko.nl/product/1962/1062725/AMD-Videokaarten/XFX-Radeon-RX-6950-XT-MERC-319-BLACK-Videokaart?s_o=1

It runs basically identical to the other one.

If you do upgrade I recommend a 6700xt as the minimum. However the biggest trick is that if you buy a decent bit better gpu than the consoles then you can basically last an entire generstion on it.

We are now in the middle of the spec jump and the consoles have about a rx5700xt in them but of course have better optimization so if you want a long lasting card id say rx6800(xt) tier would be best.

Nvidia falls off here since they dont have a well priced card in this bracket with enough vram.

The a770 is a first gen card and whilst its gotten a heap better there is the simple rule of never buy a first gen product if you want long term support.

15 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Also, what games do you play? Diablo 4 and similar MP games aren't going to require too much gpu. But if you want to play upcoming Unreal Engine 5 AAA games those are going to push your gpu hard at 1440p.

right now, diablo and elden ring are probably the most graphically intense games I play. Payday 3's coming out soon, dunno how that will be. my goal is to buy a card that will be able to run games of simulair graphical quality that are coming out in say the coming 5 or so years. basically something thatll last and be a good value

4 hours ago, Mangrovius said:

right now, diablo and elden ring are probably the most graphically intense games I play. Payday 3's coming out soon, dunno how that will be. my goal is to buy a card that will be able to run games of simulair graphical quality that are coming out in say the coming 5 or so years. basically something thatll last and be a good value

Well Elden Ring needs RX 6600 XT or better to be able to do 1440p60 and came out in February 2022, while to get 1440p60 on Dark Souls 3 from April 2016 you needed R9 Fury X. So about a 67% bump in power. You'll get about a 70% bump over an RX 6600 XT at 1440p with an RX 6800 XT, so if the trend from Dark Souls 3 to Elden Ring holds then on a hypothetical From Software Souls game release in 2028 you'd probably just scoot by at 1440p60 with a 6800 XT. Diablo 4 and Payday 3 are so easy to run I wouldn't even worry about them.

On a side note I have an RX 6700 XT and played Elden Ring at 1440p60 with drops into the mid to high 50s that weren't noticeable and the only major drop I ever had in the game was from a walking mausoleum from near the end of the game in that snowy area that shoots magic, which would drop me into the 40s.

Of course this is also assuming you don't care about raytracing. Which hopefully will still be an option in 2028.

19 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Unfortunately, this is starting to not be the case. Ugh Final Fantasy XVI on PS5 runs a dynamic resolution between 720 and 1080p and still runs in the 40s-50s. Definitely seems to be like a gpu limitation since otherwise why run such low resolutions.