Random CTD while gaming - Possible motherboard-RAM compatibility issue?

Go to solution Solved by UnusualDevices,

I recommend updating the bios. Updated bios usually contains bug fixes, though sometimes adds new features and optimizations.

For every person posting that updating their bios killed their pc, there are tens of thousands of successful bios updates happening.

You should have an ample, tested working UPS, of course, but it is basically foolproof and extremely fast and safe.

Then once updated, go back into it and enable XMP/EXPO/whatever so you get the faster ram speed.

I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem, just that I recommend doing it.

Hello everyone.

I'll try to be as concise a I can, so feel free to ask for more info and I'll do my best to provide ASAP.

I bought a PC in February of this year. Up until mid June everything was perfect. Good temps, good performance, no lag, no crashes, gaming was great. After this date now some games crash after some minutes. There is no error message, nothing. I used to play these games for hours but now they crash within the hour. I tried low/high settings, reinstalled every game, reinstalled windows and nothing. I was thinking about updating my BIOS as a last ditch effort (since I saw in a forum that this helped them fix the CTD for 1 game) when I thought of checking my motherboard specs within their page. From this I found the following:

1. My RAM is 2x16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5200 MHz - model CMK32GX5M2B5200C40
  2. My motherboard is a MSI PRO X670-P WIFI

After checking this motherboard's compatibility page I saw that my RAM did not appear within this list. Therefore, my RAM is not considered compatible with my motherboard.

I also noticed that although my RAM is supposed to have a speed of 5200 MHz, when I check task manager, it says that my memory speed is 4800 MHz instead. I don't know if this is right or not, or maybe some configuration I don't know about, but I'm assuming that number should be 5200 MHz instead.

1688094400594.png

Is it a compatibility issue? Should I still update my BIOS? I looked at 10+ different videos and pages talking about updating the BIOS and I'm honestly terrified of even attempting to do it. For some people this solved their crashes, for others now their PC won't get past POST!

My PC specs are listed below (OS is Windows 10 Education - 21H2):

CPU AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (8 CORES) 4.5 GHz - 32MB + 8MB - AM5
GPU GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3060TI VISION OC 8GB, 3 FAN
Motherboard MSI PRO X670-P WIFI AM5 - AMD - BIOS version 1.20
RAM CORSAIR VENGEANCE BLACK 32GB/5200MHz 2X16GB - DDR5 - LED-RGB - INTEL XMP READY
SSD KINGSTON 2TB SNV2S/2000G NV2 2280 - NVME PCIE
POWER STABILIZER DELTA POWER 220VAC 8 TOMAS 950W
POWER SUPPLY ANTRYX 850W KIRIN (GPX850S) 80 PLUS GOLD - MODULAR
LIQUID COOLING ANTRYX TRITON EVO 240 WHITE ARGB (AWC-TE240W)

3 minutes ago, GodPleaseOhGodHelpMe said:

I also noticed that although my RAM is supposed to have a speed of 5200 MHz, when I check task manager, it says that my memory speed is 4800 MHz instead. I don't know if this is right or not, or maybe some configuration I don't know about, but I'm assuming that number should be 5200 MHz instead.

CMK32GX5M2B5200C40 - JEDEC profile is 4800 MHz on this kit. 5200 MHz is only achieved via XMP overclock. This is normal and expected behavior.

4 minutes ago, GodPleaseOhGodHelpMe said:

After checking this motherboard's compatibility page I saw that my RAM did not appear within this list. Therefore, my RAM is not considered compatible with my motherboard.

This is likely unrelated to your issue.

A hardware issue is more likely to cause general instability and hard locks rather than crashes to desktop.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

I recommend updating the bios. Updated bios usually contains bug fixes, though sometimes adds new features and optimizations.

For every person posting that updating their bios killed their pc, there are tens of thousands of successful bios updates happening.

You should have an ample, tested working UPS, of course, but it is basically foolproof and extremely fast and safe.

Then once updated, go back into it and enable XMP/EXPO/whatever so you get the faster ram speed.

I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem, just that I recommend doing it.

Can you check the Event Viewer and see if any nvlddmkm errors are mentioned around the time of the crashes? 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

12 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

CMK32GX5M2B5200C40 - JEDEC profile is 4800 MHz on this kit. 5200 MHz is only achieved via XMP overclock. This is normal and expected behavior.

This is likely unrelated to your issue.

A hardware issue is more likely to cause general instability and hard locks rather than crashes to desktop.

Thank you so much for this info! So my RAM speed is not sign of a problem, that's good. I hope RAM-motherboard compatibility is not the issue too. However that now leaves me without a clue about what's going on with my computer 😓

11 hours ago, UnusualDevices said:

That's so good to know. I do have a UPS. The way I can test it is to just unplug it and see if my computer is still on after that, correct?

8 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Can you check the Event Viewer and see if any nvlddmkm errors are mentioned around the time of the crashes? 

I just replicated the crash. I opened the game in question and played up until the moment of the crash (about half an hour in). I noticed the following:

-My GPU use spiked, from almost 0 to a 100 for the duration of the crash (about 5 seconds).

-I revised the Event viewer and saw no nvlddmkm error generated from this crash. I did find an error generated soon after the crash took place.

Unfortunately it's in Spanish but if you need it I can translate as much as I can.

GPU + CPU Analytics after CTD (2nd crash - took longer to happen).PNG

Event viewer-wh3 error instance.PNG

48 minutes ago, GodPleaseOhGodHelpMe said:

-I revised the Event viewer and saw no nvlddmkm error generated from this crash. I did find an error generated soon after the crash took place.

Unfortunately it's in Spanish but if you need it I can translate as much as I can.

Event viewer-wh3 error instance.PNG

Yeah the Spanish don't help me but I was actually just very curious about you may having a nvlddmkm error because so many have nvlddmkm errors the past 2-3 months. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

most ups have a test button but failing that, yes you can just unplug it. I wouldn't trust the test button really tho, once had a ups that told me everything was fine when testing but it failed to keep my system up during a storm.

Thanks everyone for your input.

It was the BIOS. I updated my BIOS to the latest version and now my games and programs no longer crash. I don't know exactly the relation between the two but it seems that was it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.