state of ark at the moment

bezza...

any on know if arc is a viable choice at the moment in the 200-300£ range thinking of getting a gpu and not sure whether to consider it.

Just now, bezza... said:

any on know if arc is a viable choice at the moment in the 200-300£ range thinking of getting a gpu and not sure whether to consider it.

Not really. For 250 pounds the 6650 xt is a better choice as it performs better and has less problems. Used may also be an option with nvidia but not really as their cards normally perform on par with amds alternatives

But if your going up to 300 then the 6700 xt or a used 3070 Acer Predator 5000 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card | eBay

or a 2080 ti if you can spend a bit more zotac RTX 2080ti AMP edition GPU | eBay

but then at that point the 3070 performs better

But IMO your best bet is either a used 3070 or the 6700 xt. Or even the 6650 xt/6700 non xt

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

4 minutes ago, bezza... said:

I get the impression it depends a lot on which games you play. Their driver keep improving a lot, but they still don’t have everything.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I get the impression it depends a lot on which games you play. Their driver keep improving a lot, but they still don’t have everything.

He plays a lot of project cars and fortnite (not a lot of fortnite but enough). He doesn't play a lot of AAA titles like TLOU P1 or Hogwarts legacy which are VRAM hogs hence my recommendation for the 6650 xt as even though it has 8 gigs of vram, should be sufficient for all the games 

Current parts list

4 minutes ago, filpo said:

He plays a lot of project cars and fortnite (not a lot of fortnite but enough). He doesn't play a lot of AAA titles like TLOU P1 or Hogwarts legacy which are VRAM hogs hence my recommendation for the 6650 xt as even though it has 8 gigs of vram, should be sufficient for all the games 

I haven’t paid attention to which games are what as I don’t own one and have no reason to. I get the impression ther are 3 tiers:  runs really well (at which point it might be competitive) runs not so well (at which point the AMD card mentioned is going to provide better performance) or doesn’t run at all. (There are several of these still) athe intel card could be competitive if the games you play are in the “runs really well” section.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

runs really well (at which point it might be competitive) runs not so well (at which point the AMD card mentioned is going to provide better performance)

his pc (with and igpu) already 'runs' project cars and fortnite so IMO the 6650 xt is good. Obviously fortnite's a really stuttery game tho so in that game, the more frames the better

Current parts list

1 minute ago, filpo said:

his pc (with and igpu) already 'runs' project cars and fortnite so IMO the 6650 xt is good. Obviously fortnite's a really stuttery game tho so in that game, the more frames the better

Was about to edit this saying that if any of the games are in the “runs not so well” or “not at all” category, th Op is probably not in the running for one since there’s no way to tell if/when they might be improved.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

100% does, I have an ARC A770. It's bueno in most DX12/Vulkan titles, only RDR2 gives me issues. Any DX11/DX9 games that allow the DXVK wrapper (translates older DX instructions to Vulkan, Intel packages it with the drivers now) are also smooth, anything that doesn't (Fallout 76 in my case) is a horrible stuttery mess that'll make you nauseous if you try and play it. Destiny 2 also doesn't allow DXVK, and was initially choking too, but it has a high enough playerbase that Intel has done some optimizations specifically for it, so it's decently smooth now. Still some fps drops, but not rly an issue for me. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So probably a 3060 extended memory (10 or 12 gb) or a 6700 would be the choice if one doesn’t know what one might play next, but 6650 if that isn’t an issue.  I think the intel card has 16 gb too (though I could be wrong that will need to be checked too) Intel continues to improve their driver, so I suspect if it is 16 gb and the games you play now work it could be very much a contender.  It’s also possible that the games that use too much memory may get fixed with updates too.  They’re both very new.  That happened with breathedge even before it came out of early access.

Edited by Bombastinator

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Was about to edit this saying that if any of the games are in the “runs not so well” or “not at all” category, th Op is probably not in the running for one since there’s no way to tell if/when they might be improved.

i mean my current system (5600g) cant run much

3 hours ago, Zando_ said:

100% does, I have an ARC A770. It's bueno in most DX12/Vulkan titles, only RDR2 gives me issues. Any DX11/DX9 games that allow the DXVK wrapper (translates older DX instructions to Vulkan, Intel packages it with the drivers now) are also smooth, anything that doesn't (Fallout 76 in my case) is a horrible stuttery mess that'll make you nauseous if you try and play it. Destiny 2 also doesn't allow DXVK, and was initially choking too, but it has a high enough playerbase that Intel has done some optimizations specifically for it, so it's decently smooth now. Still some fps drops, but not rly an issue for me. 

yh i play a lot of older games but i thought that situation had improved.

4 hours ago, filpo said:

Not really. For 250 pounds the 6650 xt is a better choice as it performs better and has less problems. Used may also be an option with nvidia but not really as their cards normally perform on par with amds alternatives

But if your going up to 300 then the 6700 xt or a used 3070 Acer Predator 5000 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card | eBay

or a 2080 ti if you can spend a bit more zotac RTX 2080ti AMP edition GPU | eBay

but then at that point the 3070 performs better

But IMO your best bet is either a used 3070 or the 6700 xt. Or even the 6650 xt/6700 non xt

i was thinking of getting the 6700 non xt from cex fr £260 or the 6700xt new fr 320 or maybe the 5700xt for 170. basicly this

image.thumb.png.06faa3b277d226cc3c1eeb197615b268.png

12 minutes ago, bezza... said:

If they allow the DXVK wrapper then it likely has, Fallout 4 and Fallout New Vegas run like butter for me. I haven't really tried any older games, and one Warhammer RTS I tried wouldn't even boot up, so some games will flat refuse to run. Older (2016-20ish) EA titles will throw a warning over the driver version (as they have not been updated to recognize ARC, so they think I'm using old iGPU drivers due to the version #), but they will run fine after that. Do you have a list of what you play, if I have any of those titles I can test 'em. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, bezza... said:

i was thinking of getting the 6700 non xt from cex fr £260 or the 6700xt new fr 320 or maybe the 5700xt for 170. basicly this

The 5600g has serious issues.  It doesn’t have pcie4 at all and the pcie3 lanes are split 8x2 out of the box so big 3or 6 series cards can have bottleneck issues.  Anything faster than a 3070 won’t fly.  Or it will but will be hampered.  I don’t know if it can do a 6800 or not either. 6600 xt should be ok though as will a 6700.  I’ve sort of wondered what a pair of 6700xts would do since you get all 16 pcie3 lanes going then. Wouldn’t be effective for most games.  Only older stuff that still has multi-gpu stuff.  One of the weirdnesses is the advantages of b550 over b450 are mostly lost on it because of the pcie3 thing.

Edited by Bombastinator

8 hours ago, bezza... said:

I didn't have any crashing or breaking.

It works?  But could you spend that money on Nvidia?

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

1 hour ago, r00tb33r said:

I didn't have any crashing or breaking.

It works?  But could you spend that money on Nvidia?

One could but it’s not enough money to get into the ray tracing so unless you need studio drivers you get less for your dollar.  Nvidia only gets interesting at the very high end these days.   It seems like intel owns the low end and AMD owns the middle.  Nvidia owns the high end for consumers and the low end and high end for enterprise. Though a lot of the high end enterprise is now custom.  AMD is middle for enterprise and while intel used to own the cpu market there it’s getting more than a bit iffy.  What intel is gaining in GPUs they are losing in enterprise.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One could but it’s not enough money to get into the ray tracing so unless you need studio drivers you get less for your dollar.  Nvidia only gets interesting at the very high end these days.   It seems like intel owns the low end and AMD owns the middle.  Nvidia owns the high end for consumers and the low end and high end for enterprise. Though a lot of the high end enterprise is now custom.  AMD is middle for enterprise and while intel used to own the cpu market there it’s getting more than a bit iffy.  What intel is gaining in GPUs they are losing in enterprise.

User experience of Nvidia products is not filled with regret however.  For years it's been worth it spending that little extra $$ to get Nvidia over AMD for the sake of drivers that work.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

12 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

User experience of Nvidia products is not filled with regret however.  For years it's been worth it spending that little extra $$ to get Nvidia over AMD for the sake of drivers that work.

Brand new AMD cards do indeed tend to have problems.  This is 6 series though and amd is doing 7 series now, so not so new.  There does tend to be less irritation with Nvidia, but at the low end their hardware is weak.  If the 6 series’s was just coming out I’d be a lot more ambivalent.  Right now the choice seems to be a 3060 12gb or a 6700.  The 6700 crushes the 3060 though so if the price is even close there’s no contest.

Edited by Bombastinator

10 hours ago, bezza... said:

I would go for the 6700. But you should be able to find it new for less than 300. Same with the 6700 xt used

Current parts list

The 5700 is real tempting.  It’s more or less a 3060 with more memory. A bit older.  Could be thought of as a slower 6600 with more memory.  It’s more or less the same thing as is in the XboxX/ps5.  Literally.  Same chip.  They’re both “1080” class cards.  The 6700 is more 3060ti. All of the “1080” class cards might be looked at.  That may be the only one besides the 3060 12 gb that has more than 8gb of memory though.

11 hours ago, r00tb33r said:

i have to say at the moment nvidia is pretty shit

7 hours ago, filpo said:

I would go for the 6700. But you should be able to find it new for less than 300. Same with the 6700 xt used

yh but tbh id rather get the gpu from cex cus of the wattenty. i put how much i could find the cards new at the bottom

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The 5700 is real tempting.  It’s more or less a 3060 with more memory. A bit older.  Could be thought of as a slower 6600 with more memory.  It’s more or less the same thing as is in the XboxX/ps5.  Literally.  Same chip.  They’re both “1080” class cards.  The 6700 is more 3060ti. All of the “1080” class cards might be looked at.  That may be the only one besides the 3060 12 gb that has more than 8gb of memory though.

i assume you mean 6700? tbh im leaning towards the 5700xt as its not far of the 6700 but for 100 quid less. only thing is that i could get the blower fan edition..... do you know if the blower fan turns of while it is not under load as that would probbably be a deal breaker fr me

Just now, bezza... said:

yh but tbh id rather get the gpu from cex cus of the wattenty. i put how much i could find the cards new at the bottom

Btw I might wait until some of AMD's more middle of the run offerings get released. I know its not optimal but the prices might go even lower

I might spend some more on the 6700 xt or try and find the 6650 xt (as it should be much cheaper) as it isn't far behind 

image.thumb.png.38ee984d1dfad8a5c0898bfb81638d01.png

Current parts list

1 hour ago, bezza... said:

i assume you mean 6700? tbh im leaning towards the 5700xt as its not far of the 6700 but for 100 quid less. only thing is that i could get the blower fan edition..... do you know if the blower fan turns of while it is not under load as that would probbably be a deal breaker fr me

Nope. 5700.  That thing would work and it’s half the price of the next one up.  5700xt is a good choice for this I think.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Nope. 5700.  That thing would work and it’s half the price of the next one up.  5700xt is a good choice for this I think.

fr some reason the xt varient is only a tenner more so probbably worth it

6 hours ago, filpo said:

Btw I might wait until some of AMD's more middle of the run offerings get released. I know its not optimal but the prices might go even lower

I might spend some more on the 6700 xt or try and find the 6650 xt (as it should be much cheaper) as it isn't far behind 

image.thumb.png.38ee984d1dfad8a5c0898bfb81638d01.png

any idea when that will be?