Problem with EKWB Direct Die Cooler

As the the title suggest I am having trouble with my ekwb direct die cpu cooler for the lga 1700 socket. Most people have reported that the cooler doesn’t even touch the die and in my case I can’t even install it as the mounting screws don’t even go far enough down. It also makes terrible contact with any connection forming only when I add a lot of LM.

For reference I’m cooling a 12900ks cpu on a meg z690 Ace mb both of which are said to be compatible with the EK-Quantum Velocity² Direct Die D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Plexi cooler.

Im coming here cause I’ve been getting no where with ekwb customer support for over week and have now been ghosted by them. I am considering just removing the contact frame and using the cooler to apply mounting pressure, but this is my first time doing direct die cooling and am rather inexperienced.

IMG_5160.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, 

There should be set thumbscews on that backplate. They fave female ends that allow you to screw in the block. 

I also have that block, there is a huge qc issue with tolerances on the block and contact frame. There is a thread over at overclockers.net, it's not getting talked about enough honestly ek is being pretty shady about the whole thing. Most are going as far as lapping the cold plate and contact frame. The main issue with the cold plate is its concave vs flat. Early production models of the contact frame have too high of a z- height resulting in poor contact.