Need help pinpointing a bottleneck

Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
5 minutes ago, RuNeN00b said:

I've also considered my memory as an issue, as I'm running mismatched 4GB sticks in dual-channel and one 16GB stick in single. I also have a somewhat cheap motherboard, so I don't know how much benefit I'll really have from just upgrading my CPU, if that's my issue.

Definitely sounds more like a memory issue here since your running different capacity sticks. Try running just the 2x4 for now and see if there is an improvement. You can also try using DDU to reinstall the graphics drivers. 

I'm wanting to prepare my build for higher FPS in Counter-Strike because I'm getting a 360hz monitor delivered tomorrow. I ran benchmarks for like two hours earlier today, and I believe I'm getting CPU bottlenecked, but I can't tell.

Running at all high settings at 1080p gets me around 230FPS, but the whole time my CPU isn't getting above 30% usage. My GPU fluctuates between 40% and 80% throughout the test, mostly dipping in FPS when going through the smoke on the workshop map. I've also considered my memory as an issue, as I'm running mismatched 4GB sticks in dual-channel and one 16GB stick in single. I also have a somewhat cheap motherboard, so I don't know how much benefit I'll really have from just upgrading my CPU, if that's my issue.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x

NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

24GB memory (2x4, 1x16)

Corsair RM750

2TB M.2, 1TB HDD

5 minutes ago, RuNeN00b said:

I've also considered my memory as an issue, as I'm running mismatched 4GB sticks in dual-channel and one 16GB stick in single. I also have a somewhat cheap motherboard, so I don't know how much benefit I'll really have from just upgrading my CPU, if that's my issue.

Definitely sounds more like a memory issue here since your running different capacity sticks. Try running just the 2x4 for now and see if there is an improvement. You can also try using DDU to reinstall the graphics drivers. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

My guess is that the 2700X's single core perfomance is holding it back, as most people with that CPU are in the 200 - 280 FPS range. The memory configuration isn't great either, and may be playing into it.

Montior each thread's usage rather than the total CPU, as most games will never fully saturate 16 threads simultaneously.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

296avg in dual-channel vs. 256avg with 1x16 (which is higher than all of my previous results), I will never underestimate the advent of dual-channel memory ever again. Cheers for the tip!

Another question while you're still here; since I plan to get another stick of Ripjaws now, would it be worth it to get something like a 5800X3D with a B450 board, or would I just be better off waiting for AM5 to get cheaper and keep this rig for another couple years?

7 minutes ago, RuNeN00b said:

296avg in dual-channel vs. 256avg with 1x16 (which is higher than all of my previous results), I will never underestimate the advent of dual-channel memory ever again. Cheers for the tip!

Another question while you're still here; since I plan to get another stick of Ripjaws now, would it be worth it to get something like a 5800X3D with a B450 board, or would I just be better off waiting for AM5 to get cheaper and keep this rig for another couple years?

Ryzen and dual-channel memory are key factors that influence performance. It can be a pretty significant jump in performance going from single to dual-channel for Ryzen.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that buying RAM in pairs is better than buying individual modules for improved compatibility.

2000 series is getting long in the tooth though with performance like what @svmlegacypointed out in their post so it's definitely something to consider too, but at least this helps minimize performance hits then until you can upgrade the CPU platform. 

The Gigabyte B450M DS3H power delivery isn't the best so I wouldn't want to push them to run a 5800X3D. You'd really have to get a B550 motherboard with good VRMs (check out the motherboard VRMs tier list in my signature). Also if considering, a 12600K and Z690 motherboard may also be an alternative to a 5800X3D if prices in your region are still high with relatively comparable performance. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

45 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

My guess is that the 2700X's single core perfomance is holding it back, as most people with that CPU are in the 200 - 280 FPS range. The memory configuration isn't great either, and may be playing into it.

Montior each thread's usage rather than the total CPU, as most games will never fully saturate 16 threads simultaneously.

While benchmarking, I did notice my first core running much harder than the others. I came across a tip to not run CPU 0 in task affinity for CS:GO, and it boosted my FPS by about 5%. I assume the game's architecture just doesn't know how to take advantage of the extra cores of modern CPUs, so you have to force it to care pretty much. Still not even close to all core performance, but definitely closer. Little things like that make me look forward to CS2.

And yes, the memory was very much the solution. I've had another stick of 16GBs in my PCPP list for a while now, and now I have even more reason to get it.

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ryzen and dual-channel memory are key factors that influence performance. It can be a pretty significant jump in performance going from single to dual-channel for Ryzen.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that buying RAM in pairs is better than buying individual modules for improved compatibility.

2000 series is getting long in the tooth though with performance like what @svmlegacypointed out in their post so it's definitely something to consider too, but at least this helps minimize performance hits then until you can upgrade the CPU platform. 

The Gigabyte B450M DS3H power delivery isn't the best so I wouldn't want to push them to run a 5800X3D. You'd really have to get a B550 motherboard with good VRMs (check out the motherboard VRMs tier list in my signature). Also if considering, a 12600K and Z690 motherboard may also be an alternative to a 5800X3D if prices in your region are still high with relatively comparable performance. 

Got it, I was thinking of upgrading my board anyway because I wasn't even able to overclock the 1x16 up to spec with XMP (stuck at 2133). I'll probably go with the 5800X3D down the line anyways, because I don't see myself playing a lot of newer AAA titles, and the L3 cache has already proved beneficial for Source 2. Thanks again!

Just now, RuNeN00b said:

Got it, I was thinking of upgrading my board anyway because I wasn't even able to overclock the 1x16 up to spec with XMP (stuck at 2133). I'll probably go with the 5800X3D down the line anyways, because I don't see myself playing a lot of newer AAA titles, and the L3 cache has already proved beneficial for Source 2. Thanks again!

Anytime!! The 5800X3D is one of the best gaming CPUs for AM4 anyway and since AM5 has been out for awhile and X3D CPUs for AM5, should result it lower prices to begin with for one.