Functioning PS3 Controller Cable?

SuperMoonie
Go to solution Solved by Henrik.Ler,

Shouldn't any generic mini usb cable work.  I am at the moment just using a couple of random usb A to mini usb cable I had lying around. Neither of them are original and they are of different length. So I would just try to find some cheap mini usb cable on amazon or whatever and see if those work. If not I would assume bad charging ports on the controllers.

Hi there,

I own 3 DS3 Controllers. One new one with VX8 board which is broken and two older ones with one VX6.06 and one VX4 something board. The broken one and the oldest are 100% genuine, the other one is 90% genuine(at least the insides.)

Problem is that the newest one is the only one that charges via a 3rd party USB cable.

The other ones start flashing a few times and stop, showing a hyphen symol in the battery level indecator.

The PS3 is not the problem, other devices like PC and TV are not working either.

Seems like the newest one draws a little less power when charging.

I read online that it's certainly a bad cable.

But I don't have a spare one.

Original ones are extremely expensive and off brand ones are impossible to get in a store. (USB A to MINI). Most cables only let 500mA thru and thus are not functioning. Data only.

Anyone know a cable that does work for the DS3? Maybe on Amazon etc? I know that most don't work and don't want to. spent a fortune buying a million cables.

If anyone knows please give me a link.

Thanks.

Shouldn't any generic mini usb cable work.  I am at the moment just using a couple of random usb A to mini usb cable I had lying around. Neither of them are original and they are of different length. So I would just try to find some cheap mini usb cable on amazon or whatever and see if those work. If not I would assume bad charging ports on the controllers.

i have a genuine one i use, and have had luck with a few random generic ones, although some havent worked. maybe try searching on amazon and checking reviews?

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

I will Just add that the PS3 controller needs to be connected to a console (ideally the PS3 or PS TV/Vita TV) or PC, not a battery bank or "Wall Wart" charger.

Yes indeed. Typical Sony move if u ask me.

Xbox takes two AA batteries and even lasts longer.