can someone explain why region lock is a thing for films

CatXice
51 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Is this more of what you think happened or based on facts. I know that I have completely different view, but sounds like this is bit reaching explanation. Peter Jackson made Lord of the Rings trilogy by filming all 3 movies at the same time. Why wouldn't Warner Bros etc., knowing it was done at the same time they were filming Potter, do those scenes at the same time knowing they needed to be altered anyway? Also, why wouldn't they cut both versions at the same time? And its still 6 days between release dates. If it would be because of extra filming and cutting that is the reason, wouldn't you think it would take bit longer? Like a month?

I can accept that reasoning for movies where release date is significantly apart, and attribute that to different mainstream norms (cutting out extreme violence for example). But here it doesn't seem to be even plausible reasoning.

From stuff I remembered at the time, it was on the news.

They filmed each of the films independently (apart from the 7th book which they filmed in one but split into two).

At the time they did the filming though they did takes with the different words "sorcerer" and "philosopher"; but at that point some of the process wouldn't be capable of being done in parallel.

There really wouldn't be much other reason to, as it can't just be money reasons because the subsequent films didn't abide by this.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef