Ping spikes while gaming, looking for a sanity check/second opinion

TLDR: I think I need a new router but I might be missing some really easy fix and I'm not sure what else to do. Looking for extra steps to try or recommendations, thank you!

The issue:

I've been having issues with gaming latency ever since moving in with my parents, and its been driving me nuts long enough that I need to fix it soon. In most games, its obviously there, but manageable, but in Overwatch my ping is consistently around 80-90ms and my spikes are as high as 300, with the spikes being very unpredictable. I don't wanna dox myself and say the name, but I'm using a very local start up ISP that uses a roof-mounted satilite mesh that stretches across the general area, and I have no way of knowing how much of the issue is them, since they don't really have reviews or word of mouth. My router is an Orbi RBR40 with 2 added access points, and our internet speeds are consistently about 90 down and 20 up, which is about what we pay for. My computer is wired in (albeit through an unmanaged switch, then a hub, then to the router). My ping spikes obviously happen most often when other people are doing things, namely streaming in 4k on the living room tv. However, even when I'm here alone my latency still sucks.

current router: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr40#docs

What I've tried:

I've already tried port-forwarding for Overwatch, which yielded no noticeable results. I wanted to try QoS on the router, but apparently that's not an option on the RBR40. MU-MIMO doesn't do anything whether its on or off, same with fast roaming and implicit beam-forming. I realize part of my problem may be the fact I'm wired into a switch, then a hub, then the router across 2 floors, but it's very inconvenient to not do that with the wiring here.

My best guess at this point is that my router just sucks for gaming, or at the very least Isn't optimal for a very multi-device household. I also cant rule out my internet service, but convincing my parents to switch would be difficult.

If any of you have an idea of something I missed or think I'm on the right or wrong page here, please let me know (with kind words). Thank you so much!

48 minutes ago, PizzaAtlas said:

TLDR: I think I need a new router but I might be missing some really easy fix and I'm not sure what else to do. Looking for extra steps to try or recommendations, thank you!

The issue:

I've been having issues with gaming latency ever since moving in with my parents, and its been driving me nuts long enough that I need to fix it soon. In most games, its obviously there, but manageable, but in Overwatch my ping is consistently around 80-90ms and my spikes are as high as 300, with the spikes being very unpredictable. I don't wanna dox myself and say the name, but I'm using a very local start up ISP that uses a roof-mounted satilite mesh that stretches across the general area, and I have no way of knowing how much of the issue is them, since they don't really have reviews or word of mouth. My router is an Orbi RBR40 with 2 added access points, and our internet speeds are consistently about 90 down and 20 up, which is about what we pay for. My computer is wired in (albeit through an unmanaged switch, then a hub, then to the router). My ping spikes obviously happen most often when other people are doing things, namely streaming in 4k on the living room tv. However, even when I'm here alone my latency still sucks.

current router: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr40#docs

What I've tried:

I've already tried port-forwarding for Overwatch, which yielded no noticeable results. I wanted to try QoS on the router, but apparently that's not an option on the RBR40. MU-MIMO doesn't do anything whether its on or off, same with fast roaming and implicit beam-forming. I realize part of my problem may be the fact I'm wired into a switch, then a hub, then the router across 2 floors, but it's very inconvenient to not do that with the wiring here.

My best guess at this point is that my router just sucks for gaming, or at the very least Isn't optimal for a very multi-device household. I also cant rule out my internet service, but convincing my parents to switch would be difficult.

If any of you have an idea of something I missed or think I'm on the right or wrong page here, please let me know (with kind words). Thank you so much!

theres a couple options that helped me personaly from 250 ping to 21 ping

1. ethernet, if this is not an option then option 2 will most likely work

2. GRC DNS, this is a tool thts helped me a lot to get stable connection, i played rocket leage with 250 up to 2000 ping, this helped me get a stable 21-32 ping

GRC's | DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

I would start doing some bandwidth and ping testing from inside your router UI.  Just I know in the US at least nobody gets the speeds they pay for...unless they have good fiber connection.

Reason is very few companies actual promise a min speed, but instead say you get UP TO a speed.  Also "roof-mounted satilite mesh" sounds like a bad latency issue waiting to happen, so I would test as close to that dish as you can get for latency.  Again, I suspect your connection not your in house setup.

2 hours ago, PizzaAtlas said:

roof-mounted satilite mesh that stretches across the general area

There's your problem.

These mesh systems do not offer stable latency as just a bird flying past causes dropped signal for a blip.