Should I go Micro ATX for the pc I'm building for my kid?

Budget (including currency): 300 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Valheim, eventually more demanding games and school work.

Other details (1660TI, I5 9600k, 550W PSU)

Hey guys,

So I've upgraded my gaming PC and got 1660TI, a i5 9600k, a 550W PSU to spare so I'm looking into building a computer for my kids who's going to play mostly Minecraft and Valheim.  I was looking into 1151 socket motherboards and realized that they were way rarer or more expansive than I thought they would be.  Found a microATX for 60$, but I don't know much about the different sizes of mobo, should I go micro?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Shadoah said:

Budget (including currency): 100 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Valheim, eventually more demanding games and school work.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys,

So I've upgraded my gaming PC and got 1660TI, a i5 9600k, a 550W PSU to spare so I'm looking into building a computer for my kids who's going to play mostly Minecraft and Valheim.  I was looking into 1151 socket motherboards and realized that they were way rarer or more expansive than I thought they would be.  Found a microATX for 60$, but I don't know much about the different sizes of mobo, should I go micro?

Thanks

The main difference between microATX and full-sized ATX is expandability options in terms of PCIe cards and M.2 SSDs. With ATX as the board is physically larger, there will be more of those compared to microATX. 

Other than that, it'll be looks since a microATX board in a full-sized ATX case might look funny. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

MicroATX is just a smaller form factor. You'll have less PCI-e slots and maybe m.2 slots. They'll all perform about the same assuming similar quality.

If you do get an m-atx board and still need a case, I'd recommend actually getting an m-atx case. They're usually cheaper anyways and wont look so 'hollow'.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

Very inexpensive mATX motherboard often only have two instead of four memory slots. Not a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

All right so a mATX board can support whatever an ATX can but with less options like many RAM slots or M.2 slots.

Thanks you guys, it helps a lot.