Optical cable housing broken

Jakey1233

How am I supposed to fix this?

I have a Msi z790 tomahawk Wi-Fi. 

And I broke the housing to hold my optical cable 

image.png.49e0a6d4f003da05b2bcfd572a296fa0.png                      image.png.eb8210133a905e00f82a5714c1590fd6.png

1 minute ago, Jakey1233 said:

How am I supposed to fix this?

I have a Msi z790 tomahawk Wi-Fi. 

And I broke the housing to hold my optical cable 

image.png.49e0a6d4f003da05b2bcfd572a296fa0.png                      image.png.eb8210133a905e00f82a5714c1590fd6.png

I’ve got the same problem.  I just went analog.  A work around rather than a solution.  Wasted a cable.  Curious to see if someone has a fix though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Maybe you could superglue those 2 pieces back together and shove them into the port?

You might also just plug the cable in and find a way to keep it from falling out.

Likely not very fixable. You could probably try putting it around the cable end and seeing if it just slots right back in there but it'll likely just fall out easily as the housing is what holds the cable in place.

I would just change over to the analog plugs or switching to a sound card or a USB DAC if you must stay with optical.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

Trying to glue it back in would be the best bet. You could also try sticky tack. It doesn’t hurt to try, it’s already broken.

37 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Maybe you could superglue those 2 pieces back together and shove them into the port?

You might also just plug the cable in and find a way to keep it from falling out.

The problem is superglue has fumes which are actually tiny droplets and optical has little sense of humor about that sort of thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Trying to glue it back in would be the best bet. You could also try sticky tack. It doesn’t hurt to try, it’s already broken.

Point.

You could try taping the cable in place, as long as you can see the red light on the other end of the cable it will probably work fine.

If that and other solutions in the thread don't work out USB optical dongles are pretty cheap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I would try removing the motherboard from the case and then attempting to glue the connector pieces back together.

You want to use as little glue as possible, ideally CA glue.
otherwise, you would have to buy an external dac

3 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

You could try taping the cable in place, as long as you can see the red light on the other end of the cable it will probably work fine.

If that and other solutions in the thread don't work out USB optical dongles are pretty cheap.

Hmmm… I hadn’t thought of that.  I did buy a really long SPDIF cable that I sleeved and everything.  Might be worthwhile.  If the spdif usb connectors aren’t expensive it’s less bother than pulling the motherboard.  Best work around yet for me anyway.

Edited by Bombastinator