Help with floppy drive

Go to solution Solved by gen_angry,

Win 11 on an AM2 Athlon 64? Damn.

The video is a bit hard to tell since you keep moving it around but you might be missing the power (berg connector for the four pins above the ribbon cable). Do make sure you have the right orientation for that - it will literally burn itself up in the wrong direction.

If that's in, constant floppy seeking is a symptom of having the ribbon cable in backwards. Does the light come on as well? If so and the ribbon cable is not keyed, I'd try reversing that.

Do you have the floppy drive controller enabled and set to 1.44mb in the BIOS? That won't really cause the issue you're having but it'd solve a future problem assuming the drive still works.

Beyond that, there's not really much else you can do. They're like optical drives, a 'sealed unit' not really designed to be serviced.

I was trying to plug in my unused floppy drive today,

when i suddenly noticed a constant click every 0.2 seconds or so.

The drive it a Teac FD-CR7-002 that is also a card reader that works just fine.

I have also attached a video of the noise that was captured very closely to the drive, but even if i don't do anything in Windows (11), I can clearly hear it.

Specs:
Ga-Ma78GM-S2H 1.1 mobo

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400+ CPU (Dual core 2.8GHz)

6GB of DDR2 677MHz Ram

A GTX 745 4GB GPU

350 Watt PSU (ATX)

2x DVD-RW Drives

USB 1.1 PCI Card

2 Fans

Thank you,

Stephen

The video is a bit hard to tell since you keep moving it around but you might be missing the power (berg connector for the four pins above the ribbon cable). Do make sure you have the right orientation for that - it will literally burn itself up in the wrong direction.

If that's in, constant floppy seeking is a symptom of having the ribbon cable in backwards. Does the light come on as well? If so and the ribbon cable is not keyed, I'd try reversing that.

Do you have the floppy drive controller enabled and set to 1.44mb in the BIOS? That won't really cause the issue you're having but it'd solve a future problem assuming the drive still works.

Beyond that, there's not really much else you can do. They're like optical drives, a 'sealed unit' not really designed to be serviced.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

Oh yeah having to flip the cable. You are bringing back old memories now.

I kept my floppy drive for as long as possible until mobos stopped supporting them around mid 2000s.

10 hours ago, gen_angry said:

Thank you so much,

I feel so dumb rn. I was wondering what that 4pin was for and when I plugged it in, IT STOPPED.

TYSM

Thanks,

Stephen

1 minute ago, SonicPlayrite said:

Thank you so much,

I feel so dumb rn. I was wondering what that 4pin was for and when I plugged it in, IT STOPPED.

TYSM

Thanks,

Stephen

As a bit of an aside, how does Win11 run on that system? I would imagine it'd be a bit of a struggle but maybe wrong.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2023 at 6:55 AM, gen_angry said:

As a bit of an aside, how does Win11 run on that system? I would imagine it'd be a bit of a struggle but maybe wrong.

Sorry for the late reply, I have since moved on onto a Ryzen 5 5500 and a new GPU. My sister inhibited that system. It runs fine, a little slower than windows 10.