Pc not starting

Go to solution Solved by 71941,

Just figured it out, it was the psu however it was just the cpu cable, something must of been wrong with it because i started it without the 8 pin connected and everything started (bar the cpu of course)

Recently upgraded my pc part by part, anyways put the all the old pc parts back together and it no longer starts, no fans (not even from psu), the motherboard and everything else was working completely fine just before I swapped it for the old psu, however I did also change the cpu and gpu as well. I think it might be a psu problem but was wondering if there is anything I can check to make sure everything is good. Thanks

6 minutes ago, 71941 said:

Recently upgraded my pc part by part, anyways put the all the old pc parts back together and it no longer starts, no fans (not even from psu), the motherboard and everything else was working completely fine just before I swapped it for the old psu, however I did also change the cpu and gpu as well. I think it might be a psu problem but was wondering if there is anything I can check to make sure everything is good. Thanks

How about starting with telling us the old spec was and the new spec is, and what have you tried so far ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Yeah it sucks 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

You can check the psu by shorting pins 4 and 5 from the left on the atx connector with the clip facing up. If it doesn’t start, it’s dead.

If the psu starts I would pull the components out and just try it with cpu, ram, and power. Start by shorting power pins with screwdriver. 

13 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

How about starting with telling us the old spec was and the new spec is, and what have you tried so far ?

Well I’ve checked the connections and cords, checked the front panel connections (not sure if important but I put the power switch and led in wrong slot and the led lit up? This was after it wasn’t running) the pc was running fine with the upgraded cpu, gpu and psu 

specs/changes: 

went from a gigabyte 650w I think to a silver stone 450w Sfx psu (this pc ran before with no issues so wattage isn’t the problem) 

rx 6700xt down to a 1650 

5600 to a 2600 

msi mortar titanium mobo 

Corsair vengeance ram (2*8gb) 

a Toshiba 2tb hdd 

13 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

You can check the psu by shorting pins 4 and 5 from the left on the atx connector with the clip facing up. If it doesn’t start, it’s dead.

If the psu starts I would pull the components out and just try it with cpu, ram, and power. Start by shorting power pins with screwdriver. 

I’ll have to give this a try later am at work atm, if not the psu would the problem then be in the mobo? 

I would start by checking all the cables. If your psu starts but you get zero on motherboard, most often it is something plugged in incorrectly (like a power or reset switch that is installed backwards or something stupid like that).

if you have verified all connections and still no joy, take the board out of the case and assemble with just cpu, ram, and power. Start by shortingnpower pins with screwdriver. If still nothing, then you most likely have a bad mobo if you verified the psu starts.

4 hours ago, 71941 said:

I’ll have to give this a try later am at work atm, if not the psu would the problem then be in the mobo? 

Just checked and the psu fan runs after being shorted 

4 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

I would start by checking all the cables. If your psu starts but you get zero on motherboard, most often it is something plugged in incorrectly (like a power or reset switch that is installed backwards or something stupid like that).

if you have verified all connections and still no joy, take the board out of the case and assemble with just cpu, ram, and power. Start by shortingnpower pins with screwdriver. If still nothing, then you most likely have a bad mobo if you verified the psu starts.

Yeah redone the cables twice now and nothin, I’ll try without the hard drive and see if it works, I would of thought the motherboard would of been fine since it was running before I switched the psu gpu and cpu 

1 minute ago, 71941 said:

Yeah redone the cables twice now and nothin, I’ll try without the hard drive and see if it works, I would of thought the motherboard would of been fine since it was running before I switched the psu gpu and cpu 

All the other cables should be fine since I didn’t change them after switching the parts 

Just figured it out, it was the psu however it was just the cpu cable, something must of been wrong with it because i started it without the 8 pin connected and everything started (bar the cpu of course)