Getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT repeatedly

Go to solution Solved by Symbiote256,

Okay. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but here goes. It was the most obvious thing in the world: the BIOS flash. Literally the first solution on every frickin website or video. Updating my BIOS. 

Now, let me explain. I've had this PC since 2019. This was my first PC, and when it was built in 2019, I didn't care one bit about what the guys in the store were doing. My tech-savvy friend who's the reason behind me owning a gaming PC in the first place, oversaw everything. This current experience literally taught me the entire process of building a PC. 

And the ONLY reason I went through all this hassle was because the store I bought my new motherboard and CPU from had a tech guy who popped in my CPU and tested my motherboard in front of me on his test bench. He showed me the BIOS, ASSURED ME THAT IT WAS UPDATED, AND SAID THERE WAS NO NEED TO UPDATE. Dude, like, I think a tech "expert" in a frickin computer gaming store should know that the BIOS version on his motherboard is a year old. Idk, guess that's the Indian market for you.

I didn't even know what "flashing" your BIOS meant, and I didn't even know you had to do that. I mean I've watched LTT, Jay, Bitwit, Austin, GamersNexus, etc. a lot but like I'd never actually built a PC with brand new parts, only swapped out my GPU and RAM till now.

Now, some good did come of this. I had a refurbished 6600 XT and MSI replaced it with a brand new one. Same goes for my CPU and RAM. And I learnt how to properly build a PC, and that IT WASN'T THE PSU. Time wasted but knowledge gained I guess. A month. *Facepalm*

I even checked online and I must have checked the wrong website cause it showed my BIOS version as P4.90 when it was 10.1 or something. Guess it's my fault anyway.

Anyway, thanks so much folks. Everyone here was amazing and really helpful even though there literally wasn't a problem. This is a lovely community. Keep it up guys. 

I've recently upgraded my system by replacing my Asrock H310M and i3-8100 with an Asrock B450M and a Ryzen 5 5600. The new parts were installed more than two weeks ago, and I've been getting this BSOD for a day. Mostly it crops up some time after booting up. I've even had it on the password screen. Attempted the memory diagnostic tool, malware removal stuff, updated my GPU and windows drivers, ran chkdsk, reseated my GPU, sata ssd and ram. I've had "irql_not_less_or_equal" twice as well and "System service exception" once. A little help, guys?

I had two folders for dump files, Minidump and Minidumps. Minidump was empty, and Minidumps had these files.

I did the PERFMON thing but I couldn't get the option to Save As, it was greyed out.

OS - Windows 10

x64
What OS was originally installed on the system? - Windows 10
Age of system (hardware) - Motherboard and CPU (2 weeks), GPU (Almost 5 months), PSU and RAM (4 years, with one stick being replaced somewhere in between) 
Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - Yes, been more than a year
Desktop.

MSI 6600XT (refurbished)

Ryzen 5 5600

Asrock B450M

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3000 mhz

Corsair VS450

27 minutes ago, Symbiote256 said:

I've recently upgraded my system by replacing my Asrock H310M and i8-8100 with an Asrock B450M and a Ryzen 5 5600. The new parts were installed more than two weeks ago, and I've been getting this BSOD for a day. Mostly it crops up some time after booting up. I've even had it on the password screen. Attempted the memory diagnostic tool, malware removal stuff, updated my GPU and windows drivers, ran chkdsk, reseated my GPU, sata ssd and ram. I've had "irql_not_less_or_equal" twice as well and "System service exception" once. A little help, guys?

I had two folders for dump files, Minidump and Minidumps. Minidump was empty, and Minidumps had these files.

I did the PERFMON thing but I couldn't get the option to Save As, it was greyed out.

OS - Windows 10

x64
What OS was originally installed on the system? - Windows 10
Age of system (hardware) - Motherboard and CPU (2 weeks), GPU (Almost 5 months), PSU and RAM (4 years, with one stick being replaced somewhere in between) 
Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - Yes, been more than a year
Desktop.

MSI 6600XT (refurbished)

Ryzen 5 5600

Asrock B450M

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3000 mhz

Corsair VS450

So it worked initially then stopped?  Possible burn in failure which is hardware.  Crash after boot is commonly the memory pathway.  A check of memory is warranted I think.  B450 is pre ryzen2, so it’s possible it’s a bios issue if your bios isn’t -current.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeah, been working fine since I bought the parts, this just started happening yesterday. 

Also, its not necessarily been crashing immediately after boot, its taking its sweet time. Say it starts up, then I open chrome and everything to google the error, etc. The BSOD comes up around 10-15 minutes after boot I'd say, based on my experience within the last 2 hours. 

24 minutes ago, Symbiote256 said:

Yeah, been working fine since I bought the parts, this just started happening yesterday. 

Also, its not necessarily been crashing immediately after boot, its taking its sweet time. Say it starts up, then I open chrome and everything to google the error, etc. The BSOD comes up around 10-15 minutes after boot I'd say, based on my experience within the last 2 hours. 

That sounds even more like memory.  Possibly heat, but it’s got the earmarks of memory

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

That sounds even more like memory.  Possibly heat, but it’s got the earmarks of memory

Agree. Try each of the sticks one at a time and see if it still BSOD on you. 

New stop code, folks.

So I tried without each stick and swapped the slots as well, then reverted to how they were originally.  Now, each time, booting up gave me the "bad_system_config_info" BSOD. Then it restarts and I'm at the automatic repair screen. I should also mention that my PC was booting into automatic repair since around 8-9 hours back. I used startup repair and it put me back into windows normally. After that, I shut down the PC and did the RAM thing above ^. Now I get automatic repair, and startup repair DOES NOT put me back in windows.

4 minutes ago, Symbiote256 said:

New stop code, folks.

So I tried without each stick and swapped the slots as well, then reverted to how they were originally.  Now, each time, booting up gave me the "bad_system_config_info" BSOD. Then it restarts and I'm at the automatic repair screen. I should also mention that my PC was booting into automatic repair since around 8-9 hours back. I used startup repair and it put me back into windows normally. After that, I shut down the PC and did the RAM thing above ^. Now I get automatic repair, and startup repair DOES NOT put me back in windows.

So a DIFFERENT error.  Well that’s data.  Seems the problem is really likely memory, or at least the memory pathway.  Are they slotted in correctly?  Theres also the slot itself.  Maybe some schmutz in there?  Even a single sand grain can mess things up badly.  If you want to test without swapping sticks There is, or at least there was, a freeware app called memtest86 that can check that without slot swapping.  It’s not fast, and you want to run it more than once because it can throw false negatives

Memory BSODs are virtually random, getting 5+ Clock_Watchdog_Error crashes in a row basically doesn't happen. The odds would be astronomical. This crash is usually seen with an unstable CPU overclock/undervolt so the first thing I would do is go into the BIOS and make sure that PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) is disabled.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, Symbiote256 said:

Now, each time, booting up gave me the "bad_system_config_info" BSOD.

As the OS repair prompt suggests, this is corruption of OS files. This can happen with crashes, but it could also be that the root cause lies elsewhere. The startup repair is not exactly a very reliable tool for repairing corruption so I'm not super surprised it didn't fix it. 

Did you clean install the OS with the new motherboard? Not a reset keeping files, full format and fresh install. 

1 hour ago, Bjoolz said:

Memory BSODs are virtually random, getting 5+ Clock_Watchdog_Error crashes in a row basically doesn't happen. The odds would be astronomical. This crash is usually seen with an unstable CPU overclock/undervolt so the first thing I would do is go into the BIOS and make sure that PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) is disabled.

As the OS repair prompt suggests, this is corruption of OS files. This can happen with crashes, but it could also be that the root cause lies elsewhere. The startup repair is not exactly a very reliable tool for repairing corruption so I'm not super surprised it didn't fix it. 

Did you clean install the OS with the new motherboard? Not a reset keeping files, full format and fresh install. 

Both are free and quick.  Whatever works.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:15 AM, Bjoolz said:

Tried this. PBO was set to auto, I disabled it. Got the irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD. For clarification, I've been getting irql for the last few days now, with clock_watchdog_timeout only appearing like 1-2 times and irql appearing basically everytime. 

I've run the Windows memory diagnostic tool multiple times, swapped my RAM sticks, tried with one, changed SATA slots, tried to run the system without each of my drives, and some more stuff. I've also run a stress test like twice.

The error according to the dump files is ntkrnlmp.exe. This was an answer I got on the Microsoft forum, when I sent in my dump files.

As for the OS, I installed a fresh copy of windows on a brand new M.2 SSD.

I have also thought the error could be because of my PSU, cause 450W may not be enough, but the error is still there even after disconnecting my sata ssd and hdd so, yeah.

I've reinstalled windows 2-3 times by the way, and what happens is after these installations, I don't get the error for like one day. I play whatever I want, use the browser, and no problem. Then the error comes after roughly 24 hours, like the system was adjusting to the changes and is now back to its error-ridden state or something.

Also, something confusing: I've NEVER had the error while playing a game, which means that every time I start my PC I try to launch a game, could be GTA, Rainbow Six, or MW2. Never an error. Every time I've got the error, a game wasn't open OR I was alt-tabbed.

You should have a memory dump file. You can find it in C:\Minidimp\

post that file here. It has the exact information on the cause of the BSOD.

22 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

You should have a memory dump file. You can find it in C:\Minidimp\

post that file here. It has the exact information on the cause of the BSOD.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f-yX0yUi14i5WcIZ35_EuebfeYCG27v2?usp=sharing

I had both minidump and minidumps. Minidump was empty, minidumps had this^

6 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

All of these are Clock_Watchdogs, all from June 2. 

Yeah I haven't added the newer ones. But the error was pointed out to be ntkrnlmp.exe on the Microsoft forum as well as the Windows 11 BSOD screen with the irql stop code.

3 hours ago, Symbiote256 said:

Yeah I haven't added the newer ones. But the error was pointed out to be ntkrnlmp.exe on the Microsoft forum as well as the Windows 11 BSOD screen with the irql stop code.

Please provide the dump files. 

20 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

So, I would do that but the issue is that I get either irql_not_less_or_equal (mostly) or clock_watchdog as before I can copy and paste the dump files to, say, my personal discord server or whatsapp or anywhere else I can access them from. Windows loads up, i go to C/Windows/Minidump and copy the files, I open discord to paste them so that I can access and upload them to drive from my laptop, but before the pasting process is complete or even as discord loads up, BSOD. That's the time frame. And with Windows running, it's irql_not_less_or_equal almost every time.

As for uploading them to drive via my PC, which would require me to use a browser obviously, I literally haven't been able to make it that far before the error occurring.

As for bad_system_config, that was only during the first time I tried to run the system with one ram stick or by swapping the ram slots. Never had that again. 

Now, I'm reinstalling Windows and am getting clock_watchdog_timeout DURING WINDOWS INSTALLATION. I got it once after my installation media stuff was done and my motherboard manufacturer screen said "Getting things ready" and stuff. Because of this, the installation could not complete and I had to restart the entire installation. Now, I've made it as far as the screens where I have to put in my Microsoft account, select the language, keyboard layout, etc, and am constantly getting clock_watchdog_timeout with maybe irql_not_less_or_equal popping up thrice as of this moment. I've tried disconnecting both my SATA SSD and HDD, with the only drive in my system being the 500 GB M.2 which only has the OS. Same result. Unplugged peripherals, same result, can't properly install Windows.

So I'm in a hell loop, basically 🙂

2 hours ago, Symbiote256 said:

So, I would do that but the issue is that I get either irql_not_less_or_equal (mostly) or clock_watchdog as before I can copy and paste the dump files to, say, my personal discord server or whatsapp or anywhere else I can access them from. Windows loads up, i go to C/Windows/Minidump and copy the files, I open discord to paste them so that I can access and upload them to drive from my laptop, but before the pasting process is complete or even as discord loads up, BSOD. That's the time frame. And with Windows running, it's irql_not_less_or_equal almost every time.

As for uploading them to drive via my PC, which would require me to use a browser obviously, I literally haven't been able to make it that far before the error occurring.

As for bad_system_config, that was only during the first time I tried to run the system with one ram stick or by swapping the ram slots. Never had that again. 

Now, I'm reinstalling Windows and am getting clock_watchdog_timeout DURING WINDOWS INSTALLATION. I got it once after my installation media stuff was done and my motherboard manufacturer screen said "Getting things ready" and stuff. Because of this, the installation could not complete and I had to restart the entire installation. Now, I've made it as far as the screens where I have to put in my Microsoft account, select the language, keyboard layout, etc, and am constantly getting clock_watchdog_timeout with maybe irql_not_less_or_equal popping up thrice as of this moment. I've tried disconnecting both my SATA SSD and HDD, with the only drive in my system being the 500 GB M.2 which only has the OS. Same result. Unplugged peripherals, same result, can't properly install Windows.

So I'm in a hell loop, basically 🙂

Maybe try it using a thumbdrive Linux.  You may want one of those for diagnosis or repair anyway

On 6/12/2023 at 12:14 AM, Bjoolz said:

Here are the latest Minidump files. Hope anyone and everyone can weigh in on this cause its been like two weeks now and I'm stumped. I've literally looked at every part except the motherboard so maybe that's the issue? It's new obviously so its in warranty but let's see what you guys can make of the dump files. 

I tried with a different GPU today, still got IRQL like 3-4 times and CLOCK WATCHDOG once.

Is this ONLY happening with chrome?  Just chrome?  Not, say edge?

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Is this ONLY happening with chrome?  Just chrome?  Not, say edge?

Oh no it happens with everything, no specific app. Dude, it was happening WHILE I was installing a fresh copy of windows, and then during setup as well. It's even happened in Safe Mode. 

Example: So, in a general Windows boot I put in my password, my desktop loads, then, say, I wanna get the dump files so I click on file explorer and go to C/Windows as fast as I can. Its already there by the time I scroll down to Minidump. That's the average duration.

I had to remove my M.2 ssd and put it in my laptop to get the Minidump files.

The BSOD comes within 1-2 minutes after putting in my password and the desktop loading.

9 hours ago, Symbiote256 said:

Here are the latest Minidump files. Hope anyone and everyone can weigh in on this cause its been like two weeks now and I'm stumped. I've literally looked at every part except the motherboard so maybe that's the issue? It's new obviously so its in warranty but let's see what you guys can make of the dump files. 

I tried with a different GPU today, still got IRQL like 3-4 times and CLOCK WATCHDOG once.

One Clock_Watchdog crash and the IRQL ones show a page fault being the issue which is typically RAM, but RAM should not be this consistent. With a RAM issue you would normally get all kinds of errors and different processes blamed as it's random what corrupts. So I don't really have a theory. 

The CPU is still the best lead, but even if it's the memory controller that's bad it doesn't really explain why the latest batch of dump files are so consistent.

That it crashes during a Windows install pretty much means it has to be a hardware issue. 

3 hours ago, Symbiote256 said:

Oh no it happens with everything, no specific app. Dude, it was happening WHILE I was installing a fresh copy of windows, and then during setup as well. It's even happened in Safe Mode. 

Example: So, in a general Windows boot I put in my password, my desktop loads, then, say, I wanna get the dump files so I click on file explorer and go to C/Windows as fast as I can. Its already there by the time I scroll down to Minidump. That's the average duration.

I had to remove my M.2 ssd and put it in my laptop to get the Minidump files.

The BSOD comes within 1-2 minutes after putting in my password and the desktop loading.

It happening in safe mode is data.  Safe mode basically omits a bunch of things like  user drivers.  Also goes to hardware issue this one is going to suck and potentially be expensive if your stuff isn’t under warranty.  That thumbdrive thing checks storage.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Okay, so it does seem like a hardware issue as per the observations you guys have made @Bombastinator and @Bjoolz, because I've ran multiple memory tests and physical RAM inspections like running with one stick etc. The only parts that can be responsible according to me are the motherboard (70% chance according to me) and maybe PSU? However, as many people have stated, the PSU doesn't have anything to do with this (but do give insight if y'all can). My motherboard and CPU are new so no problem with warranty, will go on Monday and replace the motherboard atleast. I've talked to the store I bought them from and they'll be ready to replace at a moment's notice.

Also, I took my system to the store on the 14th and had them check on their test bench and everything. Through trial and error, they "determined" that it was the GPU, cause they swapped the RAM, PSU, and GPU with their own and the IRQL error came when my GPU was placed back into the system. I sent my RX 6600 XT to be replaced since it was in warranty and the new GPU will be here in a few days. Today, however, I tried running the system with my spare GT 1030 and guess what? These Minidump errors ^. So, obviously no GPU fault but well I'm getting a new GPU anyway.

I only suspect the PSU cause it's a 450W (Corsair VS450) 80-rating PSU. Like, not even bronze. With the RX 6600 XT and 5600 and my rgb strips and 3 drives, etc. I don't know if that is enough, maybe it can't take that much load. I'm planning to replace it with a 650W 80+ bronze PSU anyway and they're cheap so no problem but do review this and let me know if there's any sense to what I'm saying?^ 

So let's see what happens on Monday, will most probably get the mobo and if necessary the CPU replaced, and will run it using one of the two GPUs depending on availability. Will keep y'all updated, thanks a lot for all the advice. Do keep posting anything y'all find.  

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It happening in safe mode is data.  Safe mode basically omits a bunch of things like  user drivers.  Also goes to hardware issue this one is going to suck and potentially be expensive if your stuff isn’t under warranty.  That thumbdrive thing checks storage.  

You mean my storage drives and stuff? I ran the system multiple times with all my drives (SATA SSD and HDD) except the brand new M.2 SSD with only a clean copy of Windows in it, and I got the error, in the same way, every time. So I'm assuming that it is not my drives/storage. And the error was there before the new M.2 ssd as well so, no difference 😞

11 minutes ago, Symbiote256 said:

You mean my storage drives and stuff? I ran the system multiple times with all my drives (SATA SSD and HDD) except the brand new M.2 SSD with only a clean copy of Windows in it, and I got the error, in the same way, every time. So I'm assuming that it is not my drives/storage. And the error was there before the new M.2 ssd as well so, no difference 😞

Yeah.  It’s a way to check it but you’ve done other tests that do the same thing so that’s probably not it either.  The only thing it could possibly do now is check the cabling to the drive and to do that you’d actually have the system driveless with the USB being the only drive on the thing.  Real limited utility at this point.  was thinking motherboard would be a prime suspect.  There just so many different systems on it.  My main suspicion of ram mostly just came from crash after boot commonly being ram.  
I dunno much about the PSU other than it being not terribly big.  This isn’t the type of error most commonly associated with not enough PSU.  That’s generally a ‘click’ followed by the whole machine shutting down.  Was it replaced when you  did the motherboard swap?  If not how old is it?

Edited by Bombastinator