Audio cutout issues on home theatre system.

The issue I'm facing is large, very annoying cutouts of audio while watching content that is played by my desktop that is hooked to my LG 55" (55UQ8000). The audio cutout last for upwards of 3-5 seconds and occur every 4-5 minutes.

My main output is the HDMI cable from my 6700xt AMD GPU in my desktop to my TV, which then has an optical audio cable that goes from the TV to a 7.1 surround sound bar.

Thinking that the issue was a substandard HDMI cable, I switched out the one that came with the TV for one that is certified for 8k@60htz (IVANKY brand) and issue still persists.

It should be worth noting that nothing played natively on the TV has this same issue (so the netflix app for example). It also does not matter at what refresh rate, video resolution, or if HDR is on/off that I send to the TV from my desktop, the audio issue still occurs when the audio is also sent.

However, if I do send video the TV, but use windows to route audio to the 5.1 receiver (via a soundcard in my PC with an optical cable) I use for when I'm only using my desktop, I get no such audio cut outs on that. The issue only stems when I put audio + video to my TV.

Currently I have it using 4k@23.976hz with audio. (The low refresh rate is fine for me as I primarily use it from watching anime.) Would an HDMI cable certified for 8k60htz really struggle with the bandwidth this much to play 4k with audio?

My main question is, what do I try now to resolve the issue? Should I swap out the HDMI cable again? The optical cable from the TV to the soundbar? Or is this a case of the LG tv's processor simply not being able to handle audio + video from an external source? Maybe some kind of AMD/Windows/LG setting that can correct this?

Thanks to any who answer.

5 minutes ago, KaiserRandall said:

The issue I'm facing is large, very annoying cutouts of audio while watching content that is played by my desktop that is hooked to my LG 55" (55UQ8000). The audio cutout last for upwards of 3-5 seconds and occur every 4-5 minutes.

My main output is the HDMI cable from my 6700xt AMD GPU in my desktop to my TV, which then has an optical audio cable that goes from the TV to a 7.1 surround sound bar.

Thinking that the issue was a substandard HDMI cable, I switched out the one that came with the TV for one that is certified for 8k@60htz (IVANKY brand) and issue still persists.

It should be worth noting that nothing played natively on the TV has this same issue (so the netflix app for example). It also does not matter at what refresh rate, video resolution, or if HDR is on/off that I send to the TV from my desktop, the audio issue still occurs when the audio is also sent.

However, if I do send video the TV, but use windows to route audio to the 5.1 receiver (via a soundcard in my PC with an optical cable) I use for when I'm only using my desktop, I get no such audio cut outs on that. The issue only stems when I put audio + video to my TV.

Currently I have it using 4k@23.976hz with audio. (The low refresh rate is fine for me as I primarily use it from watching anime.) Would an HDMI cable certified for 8k60htz really struggle with the bandwidth this much to play 4k with audio?

My main question is, what do I try now to resolve the issue? Should I swap out the HDMI cable again? The optical cable from the TV to the soundbar? Or is this a case of the LG tv's processor simply not being able to handle audio + video from an external source? Maybe some kind of AMD/Windows/LG setting that can correct this?

Thanks to any who answer.

Is there no way to watch the anime via the TV apps?  I'd also check if the audio still cuts out using the TV speakers, to confirm its from the PC to the TV that is the problem, and not something about going from PC to TV then to sound bar.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

48 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Is there no way to watch the anime via the TV apps?  I'd also check if the audio still cuts out using the TV speakers, to confirm its from the PC to the TV that is the problem, and not something about going from PC to TV then to sound bar.

LG's specific brand of smart TV software unfortunately (WebOS iirc) doesn't have the apps that have the anime I want to watch, or I would definitely just be going that route with it from the get-go.

I'll try the TV speakers though and see if I get better results that way.

22 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well, gave the TV speakers only approach a try. There was still audio cutout with that too.

I also tried putting my GPU's output to my Soundbar's input, and then another HDMI from the soundbar's HDMI eARC output to the TV, no dice there either (my desktop was only recognizing the soundbar as a 1080p display and was providing the TV with no video input).

For what it's worth too, I tried plugging my Desktop back into the TV's non-eARC HDMI input and then another HDMI cable from the TV's eARC HDMI input port to my Soundbar's eARC input (yes, I tried to the TV's HDMI input to my soundbar's input, just to try).

I even tried using the TV's Bluetooth audio output to my Soundbar's Bluetooth and the audio cut out persisted there as well.

I don't really know what else I can try from this point short of getting an additional soundcard for my desktop for a second optical output to go straight to the soundbar, bypassing the TV all together.

1 hour ago, KaiserRandall said:

Well, gave the TV speakers only approach a try. There was still audio cutout with that too.

I also tried putting my GPU's output to my Soundbar's input, and then another HDMI from the soundbar's HDMI eARC output to the TV, no dice there either (my desktop was only recognizing the soundbar as a 1080p display and was providing the TV with no video input).

For what it's worth too, I tried plugging my Desktop back into the TV's non-eARC HDMI input and then another HDMI cable from the TV's eARC HDMI input port to my Soundbar's eARC input (yes, I tried to the TV's HDMI input to my soundbar's input, just to try).

I even tried using the TV's Bluetooth audio output to my Soundbar's Bluetooth and the audio cut out persisted there as well.

I don't really know what else I can try from this point short of getting an additional soundcard for my desktop for a second optical output to go straight to the soundbar, bypassing the TV all together.

Yeah unfortunately it does seem to be the PC that is the problem and as I don't have an AMD GPU I can't really help there.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7