PC underperforming in some games. Changing graphics settings doesn't affect performance.

USSDefiant2171

Last month I built my first gaming/content creation PC using an AMD 7700X and an RTX 4080. However, I notice some performance issues in some games, while performance is fantastic in others.

My complete parts list can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NCC-1701-D/saved/wTNvRB.

In Warzone 2, my frame rate is typically around 90fps, with 1% lows around 50fps. I can change various graphic settings and features like DLSS, but the frame rate is the same even on the lowest graphic settings.

CPU and GPU utilization are never above 50%, and thermals are typically 40 degrees on the GPU and around 70 degrees on the CPU. VRAM usage is below 16 GB, and RAM usage is about 20 GB.

Other games with this issue include:

• Sea Of Thieves
  • Jedi Survivor (Using the latest patch)
  • Fortnite

This is in stark contrast to Halo Infinite, where every setting is set to High/Ultra, ray tracing is enabled, and I can easily get 165fps. 

Other games that work perfectly are:

• Modern Warfare 2019
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Doom Eternal

Some of the troubleshooting steps I have gone through are:

• I'm using a fresh install of Windows 11 on the latest version.
  • I'm using the newest version of the GeForce Game Ready Driver. 
  • I tried adjusting various graphical settings manually.
  • I tried using GeForce Now's automatic graphic settings.
  • I tried DDU to remove and reinstall the GPU driver.
  • AMD EXPO is enabled.

Only a few programs are running in the background, like MS Defender, Armoury Create, Steam, and iCloud. 

This PC has been fantastic, but this issue has made a few games almost unplayable. Thanks in advance for your help.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 195848.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 195955.png

Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend checking for a BIOS update
Also, IIRC Armory Crate is apparently a fucking trainwreck disaster of a piece of software

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

13 minutes ago, NCC-1701 said:

Last month I built my first gaming/content creation PC using an AMD 7700X and an RTX 4080. I have been an Xbox and Mac user my entire life, and building and using this PC has been a fantastic experience. 

My complete parts list can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NCC-1701-D/saved/wTNvRB.

However, I notice some performance issues in some games, while performance is fantastic in others.

In Warzone 2, my frame rate is typically around 90fps, with 1% lows around 50fps. I can change various graphic settings and features like DLSS, but the frame rate is the same even on the lowest graphic settings.

CPU and GPU utilization are never above 50%, and thermals are typically 40 degrees on the GPU and around 70 degrees on the CPU. VRAM usage is below 16 GB, and RAM usage is about 20 GB.

• Sea Of Thieves
  • Fortnite

This is in stark contrast to Halo Infinite, where every setting is set to High/Ultra, ray tracing is enabled, and I can easily get 165fps. 

• Modern Warfare 2019
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Doom Eternal

I still have many more games to test, but I have been playing a lot of Halo Infinite.

• Using a fresh install of Windows 11 on the latest version.
  • Using the newest version of the GeForce Game Ready Driver. 
  • Adjusted various graphical settings manually.
  • Used GeForce Now's automatic graphic settings.

Only a few programs are running in the background, like MS Defender, Armoury Create, Steam, iCloud and one note. 

This PC has been fantastic, but this issue has made a few games almost unplayable. Thanks in advance for your help.

Try to kill every unneeded process (like Armoury Crap 😛  ) and run Afterburner to get core usage

I suspect it's a CPU issue

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 hours ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend checking for a BIOS update
Also, IIRC Armory Crate is apparently a fucking trainwreck disaster of a piece of software

My BIOS is running a version from December. I should update it, but I am a bit worried about screwing up as it would be my first time.

I can try uninstalling Armoury Crate. I might also get rid of some of the other applications from Asus as well. 

Some people have also mentioned Game Bar capture settings or an issue with the CPU that could be causing this problem. I have no clue what it could be. 

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Try to kill every unneeded process (like Armoury Crap 😛  ) and run Afterburner to get core usage

I suspect it's a CPU issue

I killed all Asus programs and a lot of other crap, and it didn't affect performance at all. 

IMG_1606.JPG

9 hours ago, NCC-1701 said:

I killed all Asus programs and a lot of other crap, and it didn't affect performance at all. 

Something is holding up your GPU, it works barely indeed ! 😮 

I do see super high VRAM usage 15G+, you're at 4K ? But if it was a VRAM bottleneck getting back to lower texture settings would resolve the issue

If it is power limitation it should be the same in all games, or should just shut off..

Weird...Can you check in GPU-Z what it says about GPU limiter ??

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Something is holding up your GPU, it works barely indeed ! 😮 

I do see super high VRAM usage 15G+, you're at 4K ? But if it was a VRAM bottleneck getting back to lower texture settings would resolve the issue

If it is power limitation it should be the same in all games, or should just shut off..

Weird...Can you check in GPU-Z what it says about GPU limiter ??

No, I have a 1440p monitor and the in-game settings are set to 1440p with 85% VRAM usage.

I can set the graphics quality to a minimum, but CPU/GPU utilization will still be at 40%.

The first photo is from a match at the lowest settings. The rest of the photos and documents are from a match at Ultra Settings.

My PSU is rated for 850W. None of the games I have tested have crashed.

IMG_1610.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-05-26 104524.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 104534.png

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

7 minutes ago, NCC-1701 said:

No, I have a 1440p monitor and the in-game settings are set to 1440p with 85% VRAM usage.

I can set the graphics quality to a minimum, but CPU/GPU utilization will still be at 40%.

The first photo is from a match at the lowest settings. The rest of the photos and documents are from a match at Ultra Settings.

This looks like a CPU bottleneck from the screenshots. Run Furmark (Change to higher settings as modern GPUs can actually run it without maxing out on lower settings) and see if that maxes the GPU. If Furmark can max it, then there is no reason why games can't. Games typically can't use all of a CPU because they are not made to utilize all the threads it has so it's much harder to see a  CPU bottleneck. 

Getting the same framerate regardless of video settings is also a sign that the CPU is bottlenecking.

Once you have confirmed that it's the CPU you can start looking for solutions. 

29 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

This looks like a CPU bottleneck from the screenshots. Run Furmark (Change to higher settings as modern GPUs can actually run it without maxing out on lower settings) and see if that maxes the GPU. If Furmark can max it, then there is no reason why games can't. Games typically can't use all of a CPU because they are not made to utilize all the threads of a CPU so it's much harder to see a bottleneck. 

Getting the same framerate regardless of video settings is also a sign that the CPU is bottlenecking.

Once you have confirmed that it's the CPU you can start looking for solutions. 

Here are my FurMark results. I selected the 1440p GPU benchmark. GPU utilization hits 96% with 383fps.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 111539.png

IMG_1612.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-05-26 111428.png

48 minutes ago, NCC-1701 said:

IMG_1610.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-05-26 104524.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 104534.png

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 204.01 kB · 1 download

GPU-Z indicates Voltage Regulation as perfcap reason, that's a card settings issue usually

Did you undervolt or OC the card?

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

GPU-Z indicates Voltage Regulation as perfcap reason, that's a card settings issue usually

No, I haven't undervolted or overclocked the CPU or GPU.

12 minutes ago, NCC-1701 said:

No, I haven't undervolted or overclocked the CPU or GPU.

I'm fully puzzled now, your card stays at 40% max usage in some games, but can go to 100% in others and in benchmarks

Looks then like a CPU bottleneck, but it looks really huge with a 7700X that is pretty fast 

I don't play these games, maybe ppl that do can give more hindsight

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I'm fully puzzled now, your card stays at 40% max usage in some games, but can go to 100% in others and in benchmarks

Looks then like a CPU bottleneck, but it looks really huge with a 7700X that is pretty fast 

I don't play these games, maybe ppl that do can give more hindsight

Should I try using DDU to completely uninstall my GPU drivers and install them again?

1 hour ago, NCC-1701 said:

Here are my FurMark results. I selected the 1440p GPU benchmark. GPU utilization hits 96% with 383fps.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 111539.png

IMG_1612.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-05-26 111428.png

Then it looks like the GPU is working fine, so it's the CPU you have to figure why is misbehaving. 

1 hour ago, Bjoolz said:

Then it looks like the GPU is working fine, so it's the CPU you have to figure why is misbehaving. 

Do you have any troubleshooting ideas in mind? 

I did a 10-minute Cinebench run and got a multi-core score of about 1900. The CPU was at 100% usage and at its boost clock of about 5.2GHz the entire time. It seems like it is functioning properly.

On 5/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, NCC-1701 said:

Cinebench

which cinebench?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 6:49 PM, NCC-1701 said:

Last month I built my first gaming/content creation PC using an AMD 7700X and an RTX 4080. However, I notice some performance issues in some games, while performance is fantastic in others.

• Sea Of Thieves
  • Fortnite

• Modern Warfare 2019
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Doom Eternal

• I'm using a fresh install of Windows 11 on the latest version.
  • I'm using the newest version of the GeForce Game Ready Driver. 
  • I tried adjusting various graphical settings manually.
  • I tried using GeForce Now's automatic graphic settings.
  • I tried DDU to remove and reinstall the GPU driver.
  • AMD EXPO is enabled.

Only a few programs are running in the background, like MS Defender, Armoury Create, Steam, and iCloud. 

Screenshot 2023-05-24 195848.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 195955.png

Hi
Did you find any solution for this? Because I have the same problem in Warzone 2 and have no idea why this happening. All youtube have 200fps in warzone
my pc:
i7-13700f
32 GB DDR4 2400MHz
RTX 4080
750W
(tried with 1000w, not helped)

On 5/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, PDifolco said:

That vrel just indicates it’s at max boost clock in this case. Nothing to worry about.

Youve confirmed the cpu and gpu both work appropriately in benchmarks…so not hardware. Some kind of software issue is behind this.

Here is what I would do:

1. Update bios to latest.

2. Download ALL drivers for the motherboard and install them.

3. DDU the graphics driver and reinstall.

4. Check for any ⚠️ in device manager and fix as appropriate.

5. Cross my fingers

after all that, do yourself a favor.. go into device manager under Sound, video and game controllers, and disable anything that says nvidia..  unless you use sound through your monitor...