[TUNING]: PC Performance not as expected or over estimated - What to do for more performance?

Go to solution Solved by VitaminZeth,
On 5/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, Whatisthis said:

Is your system performing way below benchmarks? I just looked at Boneworks and on a 6900xt it gets above 200fps with 160% steam vr resolution.

Seems like something is way off. 

SO I realized I never answered my own question here - It turns out, slap me on the wrist for this rookie mistake, but I used one of those combo cables instead of three separate 8 pins for my GPU. IT was lacking power. How the hell I didn't break something for the last few months is a Really big blessing. After I got it fixed in late May, I was hitting the numbers I would have expected. It was all a "lack of an extra PSU cable" problem. I added the third one and managed to make it work out. 

Thanks again to all those who replied here on this post! 

Every time I play a game in VR, the performance isn't as expected. It's either lagging a bit where I almost get motion sick, or It feels unplayable. The typical check of drivers, bios and windows updates are done routinely, but the MB is an update behind (was a bit lazy). I'm wondering if my expectations shouldn't be as high? Or if there is some fine tuning I should do? The main goal was to hopefully experience 144hz Boneworks and Blade and Sourcery.

Notes: 

- Even with 100% Res and 90Hz, the Valve Index still struggles.

- Coming from a HTC Vive, I still did struggle with performance with the same PC

- Most of the games are running really low settings at 90Hz or 144hz

- I made sure that the misc tasks were done: eg. Temp Folder cleared, Recycling Bin cleared, Boot drive not left with 20GB, Windows Power Profile
- The system has no OC'ing

- SAM is enabled

- Bone Works @83fps AVG
- Blade and Sorcery @60fps AVG
- Assetto Corsa (Single Player) @89.98 FPS

Steam VR Settings:

image.png.2cf58d94749624fea94ce90cf871b9e4.png

Game Specific (Assetto Corsa):

image.thumb.png.e3f75a3b62c512ef8bd1374c2b1448c1.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 095720.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 095740.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 095752.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 095802.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 100331.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 101942.png

Edited by VitaminZeth

12 minutes ago, VitaminZeth said:

image.png.2cf58d94749624fea94ce90cf871b9e4.png

That resolution per eye seems awfully high, maybe turn it down and/or enable motion smoothing?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Is your system performing way below benchmarks? I just looked at Boneworks and on a 6900xt it gets above 200fps with 160% steam vr resolution.

Steam VR should be set to auto and then the resolution adjusts on the fly to meet the GPU speed, basically it should simply auto scale to max out the GPU.

10 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Any suggestions on a free benchmark i should use really quickly to see what could be wrong? I wonder if its  thermals, but I really sure as hell hope it isn't. 
And yeah so far.. It just doesn't seem to be performing the way I thought it would be...

• 3 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, Whatisthis said:

SO I realized I never answered my own question here - It turns out, slap me on the wrist for this rookie mistake, but I used one of those combo cables instead of three separate 8 pins for my GPU. IT was lacking power. How the hell I didn't break something for the last few months is a Really big blessing. After I got it fixed in late May, I was hitting the numbers I would have expected. It was all a "lack of an extra PSU cable" problem. I added the third one and managed to make it work out. 

Thanks again to all those who replied here on this post!