Low CPU + GPU usage every 10-15 seconds in games causes massive stutter

desireop

Hi, my friends PC has been plagued by this issue for a while now, ive tried multiple things but ran out of ideas.

Specs
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - Asus ROG Strix 1070 Gaming OC
RAM - 16gb 3600mhz Corsair Vengence
MB - Gigabyte B450M gaming
PSU - 750W 80+ Bronze EVGA
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

So the problem only happens on certain games, ones we know of are Elden Ring, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Chivalry 2, Battlefield 2042. Other big/heavy games such as call of duty, rust, apex legends, overwatch run absolutely fine no issues anywhere. With a bunch of info being shown by Riva Tuner + Afterburner, on Elden Ring, I noticed that his GPU + CPU will both drop from an average of 80% and 45% down to 2% and 17% right when the lag happens.

Things I have tried/checked

Replaced RAM. Used to have a single 8gb 3200mhz stick, replaced with above kit.
Upgrade/Update windows. Have done a fresh reset of Windows 10, and then ended up upgrading to Windows 11
Reinstall/Update GPU drives with DDU.
Update BIOS. Currently running on f63e
Enabling/Disabling Game Mode
Setting high performance powerplan + prefer maximum performance
XMP on/off
Checked temps (all were fine)
Setting and resetting page file sizes

Uninstall geforce experience

Things I dont think it can be

Drives, tried copying game from one drive to another, same issue on both.
Windows, due to the fresh install + upgrade
Ram - Fully replaced, XMP off/on

Any help is much appreciated.

did you change the drive that the os is installed on to a different one

40 minutes ago, emosun said:

No, I will ask him to reinstall windows and do it onto the other drive

1 minute ago, desireop said:

No, I will ask him to reinstall windows and do it onto the other drive

just make sure it's another ssd and not a hard drive otherwise it will be quite a bit slower

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

just make sure it's another ssd and not a hard drive otherwise it will be quite a bit slower

Is it likely to be the windows install ? Just seems strange it would be that as he only lags on specific games, especially after hes done fresh install of windows 11 before

4 minutes ago, desireop said:

Is it likely to be the windows install ? Just seems strange it would be that as he only lags on specific games, especially after hes done fresh install of windows 11 before

1 hour ago, emosun said:

...... the drive

1 minute ago, emosun said:

...... the drive

Sorry completely forgot to add that he had upgraded from a regular ssd to an m.2 in the past and did a windows reinstall then. Been stuck on this issue for so long and posted so many places with no answer i forgot all the details

alright try a different board and cpu then , going to need to keep swapping parts until the problem stops to find the hardware fault

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

alright try a different board and cpu then , going to need to keep swapping parts until the problem stops to find the hardware fault

Unfortunately he doesnt have any parts, and isnt able to be purchasing any atm. Do you think best course of action would be to just sell as faulty ? Or maybe sell parts separately, and then save for a new build 

If it works fine with some games but not with others, that points to a software issue.

Can you check what is happening in the background when the lag happens? In specific, usage of system resources like hdd, ram, networking, etc.

6 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

If it works fine with some games but not with others, that points to a software issue.

thats a pretty impressive software issue if it jumps from multiple windows installations and versions

Try these things:

1. manually go into nvidia GEFORCE overlay [ALT+Z] and turn off monitoring option, turn off HUD in every option given (performance..etc), turn off those auto clips recording option from the nvidia overlay.

2. if you have Samsung nvme drivers installed, uninstall them and use the standard windows driver.

3. Check your DPC latency with latencymon. Here is more on that: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208360865-Troubleshooting-DPC-latency