What is wrong with my hard drive and how much do I need to worry about data loss?

ATcat
Go to solution Solved by spunk.funk,

Bottom line is the 160GB Seagate HDD is failing and needs to be replaced. We strongly suggest an SSD 250GB, 500GB or larger, whatever is in your budget. 

You need to worry about data loss at all times. Make a backup.

10 minutes ago, whispous said:

You need to worry about data loss at all times. Make a backup.

I currently don't have any drives to backup to, beacuse my backup drive just failed.

Given how old this drive seems to be - according to the part number it's a Seagate Barracuda from 2006 or 2007 - I would back up everything as soon as possible and get something more recent. HDDs don't last forever...

1 minute ago, ATcat said:

I currently don't have any drives to backup to, beacuse my backup drive just failed.

buy a new drive (or preferably - two new drives).

what does come to mind here... how the f*ck do you have a 160GB SATA2 piece of spinning rust that's broken after 100 hours of runtime, and how tf do you have 6 power cycles per hour of runtime...

3 minutes ago, ATcat said:

Lack of a backup drive does not make your need to backup any less important. Sorry.

1 minute ago, Kronion said:

Given how old this drive seems to be - according to the part number it's a Seagate Barracuda from 2006 or 2007 - I would back up everything as soon as possible and get something more recent. HDDs don't last forever...

In my other machine I have WD400 from 2002 and it runs fine, so I wanted to know how likely is it to fail now.

Just now, ATcat said:

In my other machine I have WD400 from 2002 and it runs fine, so I wanted to know how likely is it to fail now.

it is on it's way out, the longer you wait, the more likely it is gonna be to become critical, and (given the seek errors) the slower recovery will be.

it's not because one relic works, that every relic will stay running.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

buy a new drive (or preferably - two new drives).

what does come to mind here... how the f*ck do you have a 160GB SATA2 piece of spinning rust that's broken after 100 hours of runtime, and how tf do you have 6 power cycles per hour of runtime...

I took it from my test bench to my new main machine because I still haven't bought an ssd.

You have a D: drive that is in good condition. If you have enough space on that drive you can backup your User Files to that drive. Then replace the 160GB HDD and do a Clean Install of Windows.

Or you can get a much larger SSD drive and Clone the old HDD to the new SSD and replace the HDD with the new SSD. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

1 minute ago, spunk.funk said:

You have a D: drive that is in good condition. If you have enough space on that drive you can backup your User Files to that drive. Then replace the 160GB HDD and do a Clean Install of Windows.

Or you can get a much larger SSD drive and Clone the old HDD to the new SSD and replace the HDD with the new SSD. 

The D: drive is for all of my importanat data and C: is the boot drive for windows, programs and some Steam games.

image.png.70ec0bf40482b6f01175366a59b60dd5.png

48 minutes ago, spunk.funk said:

you can get a much larger SSD drive and Clone the old Seagate 160 GB HDD to the new SSD and replace the HDD with the new SSD. 

In the quote is the other option.

Press the Windows key+X and choose Disk Management, share a screenshot of this window showing the lower pane with all drives.

You can get a new larger SSD, do a Clean Install of Windows 11. When that is complete, Copy the User Files from the 160GB HDD to the new SSD overwriting the empty User files. Install any 3rd party apps etc

Either way the Seagate 160 GB HDD is failing and needs to be replaced. We suggest an SSD drive.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

9 hours ago, spunk.funk said:

In the quote is the other option.

Press the Windows key+X and choose Disk Management, share a screenshot of this window showing the lower pane with all drives.

You can get a new larger SSD, do a Clean Install of Windows 11. When that is complete, Copy the User Files from the 160GB HDD to the new SSD overwriting the empty User files. Install any 3rd party apps etc

Either way the Seagate 160 GB HDD is failing and needs to be replaced. We suggest an SSD drive.

image.thumb.png.3501a111eba212caeecae611867c98d9.png

The  Disk 0 the D: drive looks like it has a Windows OS that you are not booting to now? You have 15GB Partition on Disk 1 without a drive letter on it.  You can right click Partition and choose Change Drive Letters or Paths, and give it a Drive letter not being used, and explore this partition in File Explorer. If you don't have anything in that partition, you can move your C:\Users\[UserName]  Files (ie) Desktop, Downloads, Documents etc from Disk 1 the C:\ Drive into this 15GB partition. Then Replace Disk 1 the bad Seagate 160GB drive with a new SSD then do a Clean Install of Windows. You can restore your backup after that. 

9 hours ago, spunk.funk said:

The  Disk 0 the D: drive looks like it has a Windows OS that you are not booting to now? You have 15GB Partition on Disk 1 without a drive letter on it.  You can right click Partition and choose Change Drive Letters or Paths, and give it a Drive letter not being used, and explore this partition in File Explorer. If you don't have anything in that partition, you can move your C:\Users\[UserName]  Files (ie) Desktop, Downloads, Documents etc from Disk 1 the C:\ Drive into this 15GB partition. Then Replace Disk 1 the bad Seagate 160GB drive with a new SSD then do a Clean Install of Windows. You can restore your backup after that. 

My windows boot drive is Disk 1 the C: drive, the D: drive on Disk 0 is my data partition (drive numbers are swapped because of the way I have Sata cables connected), and the 15 GB partition on Disk 0 is my Linux boot partition.

Bottom line is the 160GB Seagate HDD is failing and needs to be replaced. We strongly suggest an SSD 250GB, 500GB or larger, whatever is in your budget.