Low Performance High End PC

BONTO5160

I have an RTX3060Ti 8GB, i5-12400F, 32GB RAM (2x16GB), 500W 80+ PLATINUM PSU (its a simple build so it is enough)

Whats the problem: 

It just underperforms.

Examples CS:GO, GTA V, etc.

in CS:GO I have 2-300fps the settings in-game does not matter I have almost the same performance with any of them, Screenshot:

4:3 resolution

Screenshot(81).thumb.png.ac2f35702c28de4bbb3703d9415d0f38.png

16:9 native 1440p(same fps):

Screenshot(24).thumb.png.de3a10093fd377704a16891ac7930636.png

For example just ran into a pc building VOD the pc has an RTX3060 and i5-10400f even lower spec then mine but got like 600 fps on inferno I HAVE 200-300?? even drops to the hundreds sometimes

for GTA example video: 

With these exact same settings I've got 100-120fps and at the bushes dropped to the 60's

example image:

Screenshot(71).thumb.png.c2ce1057eeb345ce065e932c57696179.png

--->THING I TRIED UNTIL NOW<---

-I updated BIOS

-Tried different GPU driver versions

-Turned off G-sync, turned on G-sync (165hz monitor)

-Checked temps, everything is PERFECT

-Checked Clock speeds, My CPU does not running on its turbo clock speed it runs always on 3990Mhz when gaming (While watching videos it runs higher than 4Ghz)

-Checked power usage, here I saw something strange, My PL1 power usage was limited to 55W when my CPU reached a certain temperature, but solved it by ThrottleStop, now it goes up to 90W if it has to but did not changed the performance sadly

-I have Turbo enabled in BIOS 

So yes, this thing drives me crazy can somebody tell me what the heck can cause this?

Changed RAM solved the power consumption problem but I have the same performance.

Is it a prebuilt? Is there proper airflow in your case and proper cooling, it looks like your hardware is throttling or not getting proper power. What make and model of PSU is it?

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700X Stock
  • B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev1.2
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz 32gb (8gb x4)
  • MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Kingston A2000 250gb + WD Blue 1tb HDD, Sn550 1tb + MX500 1000gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
  • Benq Mobiuz EX2510 144Hz

26 minutes ago, Techreprise said:

Is it a prebuilt? Is there proper airflow in your case and proper cooling, it looks like your hardware is throttling or not getting proper power. What make and model of PSU is it?

It is a prebuilt, But I dont think the not getting proper power is the case here, only had problem with the CPU because there was a strange limitation that lenovo did if the cpu hits a higher temperature it doesnt even wait till its cooled down it already limited the cpu to 55W but I disabled the limitation and its not happening now, tested it with OCCT

1 hour ago, Whatisthis said:

What motherboard? What about GPU clocks? 

your computer is likely running into a power limit for some reason. 

Its an OEM motherboard, prebuilt PC, Yes I know its not good, there was a limitation on the CPU but unlocked it and its now not locking it to 55W whenever it reaches some higher temperatures, theres a screenshot of OCCT power stability stress test:

Screenshot(93).thumb.png.ca590a1221e0de3d1a11d0d087b5914f.png

1 hour ago, Whatisthis said:

What motherboard? What about GPU clocks? 

your computer is likely running into a power limit for some reason. 

And the GPU clocks and power consumption when like playing GTA its all good using 200W and 2000Mhz at times

Screenshot (2).png

31 minutes ago, BONTO5160 said:

Lenovo

Lenovo likes to use a variety of throttling methods for both the CPU and GPU. 

Use only ThrottleStop for monitoring. Check the Log File option on the main screen. Exit HWiNFO, Core Temp, OCCT or any other monitoring programs. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Play a game for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Attach a log file to your next post. This file should be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. 

Before you start logging data, open the Options window and check the Nvidia GPU box so this data is included in your ThrottleStop log file. 

Have you disabled VBS including core isolation memory integrity? Some of these Windows safety features can reduce performance. 

https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

Your OCCT data shows premature thermal throttling. That is another trick that Lenovo uses. Some of their laptops can lower the thermal throttling temperature well below the Intel recommended value. ThrottleStop has a fix for that issue too. Post a screenshot of the Options window so I can see how that is setup. 

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Lenovo likes to use a variety of throttling methods for both the CPU and GPU. 

Use only ThrottleStop for monitoring. Check the Log File option on the main screen. Exit HWiNFO, Core Temp, OCCT or any other monitoring programs. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Play a game for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Attach a log file to your next post. This file should be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. 

Before you start logging data, open the Options window and check the Nvidia GPU box so this data is included in your ThrottleStop log file. 

Have you disabled VBS including core isolation memory integrity? Some of these Windows safety features can reduce performance. 

https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

Your OCCT data shows premature thermal throttling. That is another trick that Lenovo uses. Some of their laptops can lower the thermal throttling temperature well below the Intel recommended value. ThrottleStop has a fix for that issue too. Post a screenshot of the Options window so I can see how that is setup. 

2023-05-19.txt

Here is the Log file after playing GTA V for a while

and here are the screenshots of TPL and FIVR 

image.thumb.png.0b348d5adbd0ab8afd7402bbcbcf71b7.pngScreenshot(94).thumb.png.140d9940df34109f0b9bb72aff3ee365.png

Only thing I done is just checked the lock box at the MMIO to unlock the CPU power limit

@BONTO5160

Where is a pic of the Options window? Looks like Lenovo set PROCHOT Offset to 10. If this is not locked, the Intel recommended value is 0. I would use ThrottleStop to change this and to lock it.

The non K series CPUs have most of the FIVR settings disabled by Intel.

What does ThrottleStop report for average C0% on the main screen when your computer is idle with oy ThrottleStop open? Less performance compared to others with similar hardware can be caused by too many tasks running in the background.

12 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@BONTO5160

Where is a pic of the Options window? Looks like Lenovo set PROCHOT Offset to 10. If this is not locked, the Intel recommended value is 0. I would use ThrottleStop to change this and to lock it.

What does ThrottleStop report for average C0% on the main screen when your computer is idle with oy ThrottleStop open? Less performance compared to others with similar hardware can be caused by too many tasks running in the background.

I'm not home rn but I will send a screenshot of the Options menu, the „too many tasks running in the background“ is not the case either, I tried to reinstall windows I tested games without any downloaded program same results in fps,  now yes I have wallpaper engine etc. but as I said that's not the case. btw thanks for trying to help, I will send a screenshot of the options menu when I arrived home 

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@BONTO5160

image.png.3b9af27251df58f15be0f40057703dcc.png

image.png.832703bb37cf7bc4a2d36ebc6e3d7db1.png

@BONTO5160

PROCHOT Offset is set to 10. This tells your CPU to begin thermal throttling at 90°C instead of the Intel specified 100°C value. I would set PROCHOT Offset to 0 and I would check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box to prevent any Lenovo software from randomly changing this setting. I know you have a desktop computer. I have found Lenovo laptops are changing this value on the fly with zero notice. 

The log file you posted shows that both the CPU and GPU are running great and as expected. Three are no throttling issues. 

The background tasks on my computer take up next to nothing for CPU cycles. Look at the C0% column. The lower you can get the idle C0%, the more CPU cycles will be available for improved FPS. Based on the images you posted, I think you have more stuff running in the background than you realize. My computer averages 0.1% in the C0 state when idle. Chrome was minimized when I took that screenshot. 

image.png.7591573b3691a04ec07af6f2a47f53a3.png

Try running Cinebench R23. What is your score? Do a Google search to see how that compares to other similar computers. I would also run 3D Mark so you can see how your CPU GPU combo compares to other users. Other than reducing the background flab, there is probably not much else you can do. 

If you have a setting for Undervolt Protection in the BIOS, make sure that is disabled. Use HWiNFO to check if Undervolt Protection is enabled or not. This is badly bugged on some computers and can cause huge performance losses within the CPU. If your Cinebench score is terrible, UVP is the likely cause. 

40 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

image.png.832703bb37cf7bc4a2d36ebc6e3d7db1.png

@BONTO5160

PROCHOT Offset is set to 10. This tells your CPU to begin thermal throttling at 90°C instead of the Intel specified 100°C value. I would set PROCHOT Offset to 0 and I would check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box to prevent any Lenovo software from randomly changing this setting. I know you have a desktop computer. I have found Lenovo laptops are changing this value on the fly with zero notice. 

The log file you posted shows that both the CPU and GPU are running great and as expected. Three are no throttling issues. 

The background tasks on my computer take up next to nothing for CPU cycles. Look at the C0% column. The lower you can get the idle C0%, the more CPU cycles will be available for improved FPS. Based on the images you posted, I think you have more stuff running in the background than you realize. My computer averages 0.1% in the C0 state when idle. Chrome was minimized when I took that screenshot. 

image.png.7591573b3691a04ec07af6f2a47f53a3.png

Try running Cinebench R23. What is your score? Do a Google search to see how that compares to other similar computers. I would also run 3D Mark so you can see how your CPU GPU combo compares to other users. Other than reducing the background flab, there is probably not much else you can do. 

If you have a setting for Undervolt Protection in the BIOS, make sure that is disabled. Use HWiNFO to check if Undervolt Protection is enabled or not. This is badly bugged on some computers and can cause huge performance losses within the CPU. If your Cinebench score is terrible, UVP is the likely cause. 

image.thumb.png.fdc740c6c9b08cb24d34f31ca1b34834.png

Something is wrong with Cinebench R23 When I start the test it doesnt render anything just passes always in 1 sec and I got 14 million points what the hack 

59 minutes ago, BONTO5160 said:

I got 14 million points

That proves your CPU is faster than you think. Jokes.

Not sure what's up with Cinebench. 

Try 3D Mark. Both tend to be consistent and reliable. 

Did you try HWiNFO yet to see if Undervolt Protection is enabled?

First this is *midrange (or almost low end) 

Second just because you "think" its not performing well doesn't make it so.

200-300fps is *exactly* what you should be getting afaik.

so none issue.  want more fps (for any weird reason) buy better hardware 

Amd cpu 7000 series 

Nvidia 4070 and up

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Not sure what's up with Cinebench. 

honestly,maybe there's another issue, but im fairly certain ~300fps is what he should be getting (depends on resolution too obv) 

Some sites say more but thats probably outdated or just made up?!

As i always say, run firestrike see how it compares first, and best after a bios reset without *any* overclocking, undervolting , what have you shenanigans as a bad OC can obviously cause a lot of actual performance and other issues. 

ps: then after running  firestrike  with the PC at default settings they could still change the setting that you suggested  - simply to compare if that improves anything 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

CS:GO is quite fickle with FPS depending on where in a map you are. On Mirage, the FPS can go from 250 to over 500 with that CPU just depending on where you are standing and which direction you are facing.

Load up an offline game, go from t-spawn to short, stand right at the start of short and look into window. Here you should have around 400 fps.

If you get a different number I would first rule out settings and Steam. Create a new Steam account and repeat the process on the new account. 

10 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

CS:GO is quite fickle with FPS depending on where in a map you are. On Mirage, the FPS can go from 250 to over 500 with that CPU just depending on where you are standing and which direction you are facing.

Load up an offline game, go from t-spawn to short, stand right at the start of short and look into window. Here you should have around 400 fps.

If you get a different number I would first rule out settings and Steam. Create a new Steam account and repeat the process on the new account. 

Not only CS:GO has a problem, thats why I wrote GTA V to the list too

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly,maybe there's another issue, but im fairly certain ~300fps is what he should be getting (depends on resolution too obv) 

As i always say, run firestrike see how it compares first, and best after a bios reset without *any* overclocking, undervolting , what have you shenanigans as a bad OC can obviously cause a lot of actual performance and other issues. 

ps: then after running  firestrike  with the PC at default settings they could still change the setting that you suggested  - simply to compare if that improves anything 

"depends on resolution too" thats why I wrote that it does not matter wich settings I use or resolution I set the game to, btw I posted videos too where they have 600fps on inferno spawn or ct spawn its not oc (mine not oc neither) with an rtx 3060 and an i5-10400f worse spec than mine and still had better fps twice almost in every cenarios, If I play it on the lowest res I still cant get that much on inferno man, I know what Im talking about when I say I have low fps, So Im not using OC, I reseted my windows NOW not downloaded anything just CSGO still low fps not what I should get with an RTX 3060 Ti, also you said thats a low end broo what are u talking about, a higher mid might be but low? which planet are u living on 

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

and it would be okay if I would have 200-300 fps with 1440p only but nope If I lower the res to the lowest streched I still dont get more

13 minutes ago, BONTO5160 said:

Not only CS:GO has a problem, thats why I wrote GTA V to the list too

Right, but it's much easier to get reliable and comparable stats from CS:GO. 

52 minutes ago, BONTO5160 said:

and it would be okay if I would have 200-300 fps with 1440p only but nope If I lower the res to the lowest streched I still dont get more

this heavily implies cpu bottleneck (do i have to explain it? cpu is responsible for frames, gpu is only drawing it, if you lower settings and still don't get more its a cpu bottleneck,  that's also why it probably doesn't feel smooth) 

but still yeah don't expect more than 300 with your hw

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this heavily implies cpu bottleneck (do i have to explain it? cpu is responsible for frames, gpu is only drawing it, if you lower settings and still don't get more its a cpu bottleneck,  that's also why it probably doesn't feel smooth) 

an i5-12400f should not bottleneck an RTX 3060 Ti

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

and if the cpu is the bottleneck here, why dont I get more fps with max settings MSAA 8x, using more gpu still dont have more fps

33 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

cpu is responsible for frames, gpu is only drawing it

???

if you don't understand this i dont really know cause its easy to understand- that is *why*

try a better cpu, and keep in mind thats just how csgo is, as others have said already  - similar to gta btw...

Maybe it would be a better experience (ie cheaper) to simply lock the framerate to something your hw can actually reliably do, say 200 fps or 180fps... anything that doesn't fluctuate as much 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity