Frequent AMD Adrenaline crashes

atavax

Most times i reboot my PC I get a notification as soon as windows loads that AMD adrenaline has crashed. And then I frequently get a notifcation when just web browsing. This has happened since i bought the 7900xtx at launch and I've kept my drivers up to date religiously with none of the drivers being particularly stable. At the beginning I figured whatever, new videocard problems; but it's been about 6 months now, I don't know why this is persisting.

windows 10 64 bit

7900xtx

z 790 Aero G motherboard

i9-13900k

32gb x 2

1300w seasonic psu

Windows 7?  Are you sure about that?

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Windows 7?  Are you sure about that?

oops, windows 10

@atavax Ok - I was going to say well there's your problem lol...

Did you upgrade from an Nvidia GPU and did you use DDU if you did?  Either way, I would uninstall any GPU driver that you have installed, then run DDU to clean it up/reboot.  Then do 'sfc /scannow' in an administrator launched Powershell.  Then this 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' (Both without the leading and ending ' of course.)   Then reboot and install the latest AMD Adrenalin driver.

5 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Did you upgrade from an Nvidia GPU and did you use DDU if you did?  Either way, I would uninstall any GPU driver that you have installed, then run DDU to clean it up/reboot.  Then do 'sfc /scannow' in an administrator launched Powershell.  Then this 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' (Both without the leading and ending ' of course.)   Then reboot and install the latest AMD Adrenalin driver.

i did, to the first 2, but i'll give it another go! Also, never used powershell before

2 hours ago, atavax said:

i did, to the first 2, but i'll give it another go! Also, never used powershell before

Are there any perf issues, or stability issues with your OS or programs/games? If there is, probably more going on to troubleshoot and I wouldn't have a clue.

But if it is just an annoying Adrenaline behaviour, maybe I can help. Managed to solve my issue with some info from a reddit post. (which said to "Turn OFF - Fast Startup") someone said it was a setting for HDDs, and with SSDs it doesn't really help.)

It worked for me on Win 10. Before, Adrenaline reset my settings like once a week or two weeks. Made the change in Window settings and have been 2.5 months free of this issue. I have been running an older driver from the start though, so just throwing out a warning. You sort of have no choice since you are running 7000 series.

(except just a few days ago, Win 10 updated just my GPU driver and broke Adrenaline again..... after I had turned that setting off 6 months ago..... maybe a recent OS update changed/reset a setting.. freakin annoying.)

9 hours ago, si1enze said:

ok, did all that last night and again on boot up this morning, amd Adrenalin crashed

6 hours ago, Snail Jerky said:

Are there any perf issues, or stability issues with your OS or programs/games? If there is, probably more going on to troubleshoot and I wouldn't have a clue.

But if it is just an annoying Adrenaline behaviour, maybe I can help. Managed to solve my issue with some info from a reddit post. (which said to "Turn OFF - Fast Startup") someone said it was a setting for HDDs, and with SSDs it doesn't really help.)

It worked for me on Win 10. Before, Adrenaline reset my settings like once a week or two weeks. Made the change in Window settings and have been 2.5 months free of this issue. I have been running an older driver from the start though, so just throwing out a warning. You sort of have no choice since you are running 7000 series.

(except just a few days ago, Win 10 updated just my GPU driver and broke Adrenaline again..... after I had turned that setting off 6 months ago..... maybe a recent OS update changed/reset a setting.. freakin annoying.)

I don't think I've had a game crash on me in awhile, but there are a couple performance things that might be related. It's not uncommon for for videos on Firefox to become very choppy; and I tried a bunch of things to do with firefox to have that to stop be the case and none of them seem effective at doing so. Occasionally there will be discoloration on a picture, I think usually there like being a purple splotch when there shouldn't be that rebooting seems to fix. There is sometimes a screen dooring effect on my main monitor and often times if i check my refresh rate, the refresh rate would be 60hz instead of 270 with no option to set it back to 270hz. I used to suspect my monitor was dieing despite being about 2 years old, but my second monitor would also be stuck at 59.940hz with no option to set it back to 144hz. So I suspect it's software related and no monitor related. Also right now my second monitor is stuck at 59.940hz.

Is this a reference XTX?  You saw the issues with the vapor chambers and parts hitting 110c I hope.  The screen door, odd color and refresh rate issues make me think it could be a hardware issue with the GPU.  The refresh rate issues Could just be from the cables..

I would do some system stability testing, rule out RAM being an issue for sure.  If the system is solid otherwise and trying a different display port/hdmi cable, even on just one monitor at a time for testing and you still have the same issues, I would look into replacing it under warranty.

15 hours ago, atavax said:

I don't think I've had a game crash on me in awhile, but there are a couple performance things that might be related. It's not uncommon for for videos on Firefox to become very choppy; and I tried a bunch of things to do with firefox to have that to stop be the case and none of them seem effective at doing so. Occasionally there will be discoloration on a picture, I think usually there like being a purple splotch when there shouldn't be that rebooting seems to fix. There is sometimes a screen dooring effect on my main monitor and often times if i check my refresh rate, the refresh rate would be 60hz instead of 270 with no option to set it back to 270hz. I used to suspect my monitor was dieing despite being about 2 years old, but my second monitor would also be stuck at 59.940hz with no option to set it back to 144hz. So I suspect it's software related and no monitor related. Also right now my second monitor is stuck at 59.940hz.

Since you are using WIndows 10, I was hoping the disabling of "Fast Startup in Windows" would at least stop the crash and resets of Adrenalin.

You have several things going on, and they seem to be similar to things I've read about the AMD software. But those were supposed to be fixed in newer updates?  I agree with the other poster though, and maybe research if there is possibility of hardware issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help. 

• 1 month later...

RMA'd the card. Actually right before I sent the card back, I literally could not boot into windows with the card installed. Used a gtx 970 with no drivers installed when I was waiting, and it worked fine. New card (i assume it's a different card they sent me) still has some occasional stuttering. I noticed with the previous card and persistent with this card, that when i noticed videos in firefox would stutter, even when not playing videos, just moving more mouse when browsing my computer, the mouse would stutter. So i'm pretty sure it's just piss poor drivers for AMD causing the issue. I have only noticed Adrenaline crash once with this card so far though.

1 hour ago, atavax said:

RMA'd the card. Actually right before I sent the card back, I literally could not boot into windows with the card installed. Used a gtx 970 with no drivers installed when I was waiting, and it worked fine. New card (i assume it's a different card they sent me) still has some occasional stuttering. I noticed with the previous card and persistent with this card, that when i noticed videos in firefox would stutter, even when not playing videos, just moving more mouse when browsing my computer, the mouse would stutter. So i'm pretty sure it's just piss poor drivers for AMD causing the issue. I have only noticed Adrenaline crash once with this card so far though.

My 2cents, even if the thread is old.

After looking at my brother RX 6900XT, and having a 5700 since early 2020: Never use Optional AMD drivers. Always go with "Suggested only" drivers.

But don't kid yourself, even with officially "stable" drivers, you will still have issues here and there. But the biggest troubles will be solved by using only stable drivers.