My Curiosity costed me...

<bit of a story telling> I've been always very curious about how the internals of computers look (in real life) after I got into tech stuff. Since I got my new laptop, my older laptop became a secondary laptop on which I did technical software stuff. But now I wanted to get into hardware. From the past few months, I started digging up my laptop slowly and slowly (not every day in few months, it took me only 3-4 tries). Taking baby steps, and then putting it back and be happy to see it works and I didn't brick anything. I still remember the first time I saw the RAM stick in real life and was amazed how the circuitry was laid out. In my previous attempt, I made it all the way to the motherboard but did not remove it. I was very shocked that I made it to the motherboard, considering that laptops are way harder to open than desktops, and it did take me a while because the case had some issues which troubled me to proceed further.

Now in my recent attempt, just before writing this post, I made it all the way to taking out the motherboard and seeing the processor, covered with the cooling plate. I didn't remove the plate yet, I wanted to get back and reassemble everything and see if it works. Turns out it doesn't. The power button doesn't do anything. No beeps, no LED, no nothing. No display light up. Even after plugging in the charger, it doesn't work. I did not remove the CMOS battery. I suppose I left any cable not attached correctly, and I knew it that I would not seat it properly.

My laptop - Dell Inspiron 15 3542

Here are some videos that might help you help me - dell inspiron 15 3542 disassembly - YouTube | dell inspiron 15 3542 assembly - YouTube

EDIT - ok before u ask, "why didn't u take it to computer store to take it apart?"

1) $$$

2) the tech guy there be like "why? just why do u want to remove it?"

3) thrill & self-accomplishment.

4) I feel like a chad, narcissism to extreme levels.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

8 minutes ago, NvidiaFirePro6900XXTX3DPRO said:

<bit of a story telling> I've been always very curious about how the internals of computers look (in real life) after I got into tech stuff. Since I got my new laptop, my older laptop became a secondary laptop on which I did technical software stuff. But now I wanted to get into hardware. From the past few months, I started digging up my laptop slowly and slowly (not every day in few months, it took me only 3-4 tries). Taking baby steps, and then putting it back and be happy to see it works and I didn't brick anything. I still remember the first time I saw the RAM stick in real life and was amazed how the circuitry was laid out. In my previous attempt, I made it all the way to the motherboard but did not remove it. I was very shocked that I made it to the motherboard, considering that laptops are way harder to open than desktops, and it did take me a while because the case had some issues which troubled me to proceed further.

Now in my recent attempt, just before writing this post, I made it all the way to taking out the motherboard and seeing the processor, covered with the cooling plate. I didn't remove the plate yet, I wanted to get back and reassemble everything and see if it works. Turns out it doesn't. The power button doesn't do anything. No beeps, no LED, no nothing. No display light up. Even after plugging in the charger, it doesn't work. I did not remove the CMOS battery. I suppose I left any cable not attached correctly, and I knew it that I would not seat it properly.

My laptop - Dell Inspiron 15 3542

Here are some videos that might help you help me - dell inspiron 15 3542 disassembly - YouTube | dell inspiron 15 3542 assembly - YouTube

EDIT - ok before u ask, "why didn't u take it to computer store to take it apart?"

1) $$$

2) the tech guy there be like "why? just why do u want to remove it?"

3) thrill & self-accomplishment.

4) I feel like a chad, narcissism to extreme levels.

Make Sure that all the Cables that you disconnected are reconnected properly. You could also try resetting the CMOS.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

You will need to do some more testing/find out more info here to diagnose what's wrong.

On newer machines, I'd have guessed you shorted something by forgetting to unplug the battery during disassembly, but this older model requires you to remove the hot-swappable battery to unscrew the chassis, so it's unlikely that occured.

It could be something as simple as you didn't fully insert the power button cable, or perhaps damaged it while working. If the button's not working, you just need to find a replacement/reseat it.

Another possibility is the main power jack isn't properly seated or a fan header became unplugged. Like F1 said, make sure everything is fully connected and plugged in.

Last, I'd carefully check all the ribbon cables/cables for damage. Usually if a daughter board for IO and such isn't fully connected, the laptop should still boot. It's power (including button), fans, main drive, or battery connections being loose that will result in no-boot at all. Start with those and rule out each before moving on.

If you cannot figure it out on your own, it might be worth posting some pictures of the insides of the laptop. That way people can look along and help see if there is any visual damage or hard-to-miss connections that are loose.

@FI Fheonix @FrowningHippo @Qyygle

<a bit urgent pls reply fast> As I said, it could have been a problem with my cables, and I think it's my power button cable. As I was re-seating my power button cable, I tried inserting it a bit too harsh with my screwdriver, so that it was perfectly in, so I THINK (just think, not sure) that I might have damaged the cable, it could still be working. There was also this small blue cover thing on top of it, but it was kind of just hanging on top of the cable connector and stuck to it, so it fell from there. I still have the cover but not attached to the cable connector. I don't think that the cover is important, because I also removed that from the touchpad cable connector, but my touchpad still works fine. Also, that cover is for all the cables attacked inside. Below is the image of the power button cable connector. Looks like even when inserted, it can just come of easily much effort, even when the lock is press down of the connector receiver. You can refer the documentations here - Inspiron 15 3542 Owner's Manual (dell.com)

_DSC0284.JPG

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.