Aorus 17 XE5 continuously getting slower

i got this laptop about 5 months ago as a replacement last pc.for life reasons i needed a laptop that could replace the power of my tower. it ran everything fine at first but has just gotten progressively slower now to a point where almost no games or software in general run decently at all. ive tried all sorts of fixes but have gotten no where.

rust is like the game i use often to benchmark my systems, and its gone from handling max settings at like 90+ fps to hardly holding 30fps absolute minimum settings. it also now, like everything else, stutters constantly. i dont think its because of ram either since even though rust does ask for 10gbs min a friend of mine runs just fine with a 8gb system.

i guess really what im wondering now after explaining all of this is; am i left with having to go to windows 10, maybe also using atlasos or something also. i cant leave windows, sadly, too much of my workflow requires windows still. i hate to ask for help, but im really just at the end of my rope now. if this was a pointless thread lmk ill just take it down, just thought that i should ask before beginning my process of swapping OSs a bunch since thatll basically stop me from using the pc for awhile.

here are my current specs;

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700H

GPU#1: NVidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop (GA104M)
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus 17 XE5 (thats all it says in hwinfo)
PSU: 240W (i think? thats what i read on the output for the charger)

RAM: 8(x2) DDR5-4800 SDRAM @2400MHz

SSD: Gigabyte AG470S1TB-SI B10 (1tb nvme)

2 hours ago, eClipseKitten said:

i got this laptop about 5 months ago as a replacement last pc.for life reasons i needed a laptop that could replace the power of my tower. it ran everything fine at first but has just gotten progressively slower now to a point where almost no games or software in general run decently at all. ive tried all sorts of fixes but have gotten no where.

rust is like the game i use often to benchmark my systems, and its gone from handling max settings at like 90+ fps to hardly holding 30fps absolute minimum settings. it also now, like everything else, stutters constantly. i dont think its because of ram either since even though rust does ask for 10gbs min a friend of mine runs just fine with a 8gb system.

i guess really what im wondering now after explaining all of this is; am i left with having to go to windows 10, maybe also using atlasos or something also. i cant leave windows, sadly, too much of my workflow requires windows still. i hate to ask for help, but im really just at the end of my rope now. if this was a pointless thread lmk ill just take it down, just thought that i should ask before beginning my process of swapping OSs a bunch since thatll basically stop me from using the pc for awhile.

here are my current specs;

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700H

GPU#1: NVidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop (GA104M)
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus 17 XE5 (thats all it says in hwinfo)
PSU: 240W (i think? thats what i read on the output for the charger)

RAM: 8(x2) DDR5-4800 SDRAM @2400MHz

SSD: Gigabyte AG470S1TB-SI B10 (1tb nvme)

What are your temps like? Most modern laptops use liquid metal on at least the CPU, sometimes also on the GPU. With a bit of misfortune, this can oxidize in a certain spot like it did with my laptop, leading to some cores getting way hotter than the other ones. These will have to throttle pretty hard to keep them from overheating, which will lead to significantly less performance. This can be fixed easily by just taking off the cooler and re-spreading the LM over the oxidised spot.
Also I've heard that a full SSD or generally a full storage device can lead to slower performance

Edited by DreamCat04

5 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

What are your temps like? Most modern laptops use liquid metal on at least the CPU, sometimes also on the GPU. With a bit of misfortune, this can oxidize in a certain spot like it did with my laptop, leading to some cores getting way hotter than the other ones. These will have to throttle pretty hard to keep them from overheating, which will lead to significantly less performance. This can be fixed easily by just taking off the cooler and re-spreading the LM over the oxidised spot.
Also I've heard that a full SSD or generally a full storage device can lead to slower performance

my temps look fine in every program ive checked, so as a last effort i might try opening it up to check that. (usually around like 50 to 60c under load, which i thought was totally fine, might be wrong on that?) repasting n such is something ive thought about, but i just didnt think that should be the problem with how new the laptop is, isnt that more of a worry after like 5+ years?..
my ssd isnt too full around 200gbs open usually. i off load most of my stuff, even most of my games (but not the performance important pvp games like rust and csgo)

thank you for the ideas, ill look into the cooling more perhaps (uh also i did post a imgur link on the "rust" text, those screenshots of my system were during gameplay)

16 hours ago, eClipseKitten said:

(uh also i did post a imgur link on the "rust" text, those screenshots of my system were during gameplay)

I did not see the link, thanks for pointing that out! I just looked at that and it looks like only your e-cores are maxed out and your p-cores aren't doing much. Perhaps Windows wrongly started recognizing Rust as something that should be run on the e-cores. I would try downloading Process Lasso, the free version is okay, it supports what I'd like you to try), and then you can start Rust and set a "permanent" CPU affinity (permanent as in as long as Process Lasso is running) on only the P-cores for Rust. Perhaps that will solve your issue

7 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

I did not see the link, thanks for pointing that out! I just looked at that and it looks like only your e-cores are maxed out and your p-cores aren't doing much. Perhaps Windows wrongly started recognizing Rust as something that should be run on the e-cores. I would try downloading Process Lasso, the free version is okay, it supports what I'd like you to try), and then you can start Rust and set a "permanent" CPU affinity (permanent as in as long as Process Lasso is running) on only the P-cores for Rust. Perhaps that will solve your issue

oh alright ive not heard of this program before sounds like a good idea ill give this a go, thank you 🙂