PSU effects FPS?

MVPernula

Hiya!

I'm helping a friend upgrade his rig, a prebuilt with decent components.

64GB RAM

GTX1080 (now upgraded from a 1060).

Aaand a suspiciously low powered PSU - bear with me.

This prebuild was originally from a designer school, not built for gaming specifically.

I found all specs to be fine for 1080p at the time, now more so with the 1080 installed.

However...

I feel like it is underperforming, and having limited experience with prebuilts I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, though I have an idea.

The PSU is rated 375w.

By the looks of it (though mind I'm no professional with PSU's), it's a good quality model, but most likely lacks the juice.

With the GTX 1080 in my rig, with the same amount of RAM - though a better CPU - I managed to sqeeze out good performance in 1080p.

His gains are significantly lower.

My question is: Is the PSU just not giving enough power to the GPU?

I've heard of rigs crashing, not booting or simply just dying when power draw is too high, never that performance was cut due to it.

My biggest reason for asking is that I don't want to recommend him buying a new PSU unless it surely is the issue.

Thanks!

TLDR:
Is the 375w PSU choking my friends GTX 1080?   

Psu does not directly affect performance unless its affecting the stability.

I bet its a pretty low quality unit since you didnt tell us the model name or brand, and with only 375w you are probably pushing it to its limit which isnt good, I would recommend replacing it with a good 550-650w unit.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

If the PSU isn't enough it would shut down.

i7-7700K is not a decent performer anymore. It performs less than a recent entry level i3.

What are the specs of the RAM and what speed is it running?

2 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

Psu does not directly affect performance unless its affecting the stability.

I bet its a pretty low quality unit since you didnt tell us the model name or brand, and with only 375w you are probably pushing it to its limit which isnt good, I would recommend replacing it with a good 550-650w unit.

This was my guess too.

A new unit would be healthy anyhow.

57 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

If the PSU isn't enough it would shut down.

i7-7700K is not a decent performer anymore. It performs less than a recent entry level i3.

What are the specs of the RAM and what speed is it running?

I guessed as much.

True enough! Though it's still performing way worse than it should, at least acvording to tests with similar specs on youtube.

Like.. Warzone 2.

People can somewhat play it on ultra around 60fps, usually a little below.

If we put it on minimum he hovers around 50-60. 

On 5/6/2023 at 4:50 AM, MVPernula said:

My question is: Is the PSU just not giving enough power to the GPU?

I've heard of rigs crashing, not booting or simply just dying when power draw is too high, never that performance was cut due to it.

It is true that the PSU would shut down if its overall capacity were exceeded for a considerable amount of time.

However, that may not be the case here given the TDPs of GPU and PSU are ~270W, which is around the typical peak power draw but sometimes peak can be higher than that by like 20% in my experience even without OC.

Aside from quality, age could be a factor as well, as I put a RTX 3080 in my 3570K system (<=400 TDP total) with an seven year old 80+ Bronze 750W PSU, and it had stability issues that disappeared as soon as I got a newer PSU of similar capacity.

"Quality" can determine how the PSU handles power spikes within its allotted capacity, like your GPU going from low idle power to peak power, which I think could have been an issue in my situation above if it wasn't the PSUs age.

Keep in mind that the 80+ rating measures efficiency not quality, though some level of quality may be needed in order to reach certain efficiency levels like Gold or Platinum.