Potential Server Build - Ubuntu Server

Hi all, 

I'm soon to be buying a small UFF server (HP Elitedesk 800 G2) which will run an I5 (6th Gen) and 16GB RAM. My question is not regarding the device as such and more of the server side of things. It is my intention to run the server on Ubuntu Server of which I have a fair knowledge but specifically, I'm looking to get Docker and have instances of Pi-Hole, Bitwarden & a torrent server (for legal torrents). Would such a device be able to handle these jobs and would Ubuntu / Docker be the best implementation or would it be worth going down the Proxmox route and running the instances as VM's instead?

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

| Corsair 750D Airflow Edition | Intel I7 8700K | Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 | CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

| EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 750w Seasonic Focus Gold | NZXT Kraken X62

| 980 Pro 1TB M.2 | 970 Evo 250GB M.2 | 860 QVO 1TB SSD | 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Synology DS920+

| Alienware AW3418DW | Creative Soundblaster Z | Creative Katana | Sennheiser HD 6XX

| Logitech MX Master 3 | Roccat Vulcan Aimo | Official Microsoft Xbox Controller

| Xbox Series X | Xbox One | PS4 Pro

Proxmox does containers, not just VMs: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container. I'd just use that unless you prefer manually setting up the OS for your purposes. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Yea that hardware will be more than plenty here.

Really depends on what you want to do here. Both docker or proxmox + containers/vms will work fine here and run these programs(Or just can just run them all on the base os with no docker/containers).

HW wise this should be more than enough. If you're using Docker the underlying OS is pretty irrelevant, go with what you like the most.

As per proxmox vs ubuntu/docker, I personally prefer to have my services as containers instead of full blown VMs.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Wow, thank you for the swift replies, wasn't expecting anything so quickly. 

I'm presuming that by going the Proxmox container route is easy enough given that's more out of my comfort zone? Also I presume it can run headless as that's my goal with this build. 

Given I'll be running a torrent server and Pi-hole would you recommend buying a second ethernet port (USB via ethernet) or would one be enough providing it's gigabit speeds?

| Corsair 750D Airflow Edition | Intel I7 8700K | Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 | CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

| 980 Pro 1TB M.2 | 970 Evo 250GB M.2 | 860 QVO 1TB SSD | 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Synology DS920+

| Alienware AW3418DW | Creative Soundblaster Z | Creative Katana | Sennheiser HD 6XX

| Logitech MX Master 3 | Roccat Vulcan Aimo | Official Microsoft Xbox Controller

3 minutes ago, Phizix said:

Wow, thank you for the swift replies, wasn't expecting anything so quickly. 

I'm presuming that by going the Proxmox container route is easy enough given that's more out of my comfort zone? Also I presume it can run headless as that's my goal with this build. 

Given I'll be running a torrent server and Pi-hole would you recommend buying a second ethernet port (USB via ethernet) or would one be enough providing it's gigabit speeds?

One port is more than enough. DNS takes very little traffic, and filling 1gbe with torrents is rare(unless you got > 1gbe internet connection and a lot of disk io)

If you know docker already, I don't see a reason to use proxmox, just use the docker commands you know

something like proxmox on an SFF box is a bit weird, because you're essentially limited to a single device, and it's sort of built around having a storage pool.

but for ubuntu server i must warn you.. the amount of  "bare essentials" cannot be overstated here..  out of the box it wont even DHCP if you plug in a network cable after boot.

i suppose it comes down to how comfortable you are with the  linux command line.

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

something like proxmox on an SFF box is a bit weird, because you're essentially limited to a single device, and it's sort of built around having a storage pool.

but for ubuntu server i must warn you.. the amount of  "bare essentials" cannot be overstated here..  out of the box it wont even DHCP if you plug in a network cable after boot.

i suppose it comes down to how comfortable you are with the  linux command line.

I do intend to run two drives one M.2 and a secondary SSD, the M.2 for the OS it will be a cheap 100gb drive and a 2TB SSD for storage. 

Is there any other services/OS's you can recommend that might make this an easier ride?